Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2010, 12:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Thats a Figo. No, Fusion. No..Figo.ooh..Can't FIGure Out!

Like GTO started a thread on vista's design similarities to the old Indica, I too am tempted to do the same, especially after the recent reactions that I have to go through.

Now, coming to the topic, since the Ford Figo has been a smash hit in India, all of a sudden, my relatives are asking me-how come the fusion's sales have seen a sudden splurge? I have to waste my energy to convince them that its the all new figo, not the fusion thats done the trick. the Fusion has been phased out. But still they continue to mistake a figo for a fusion, especially when seen from a bit far off.

Even today, in my colony, 3-4 figos have entered and my cousin sister mistook them for a fusion from the side angle.

She even asked me-is that a facelifted fusion, just because the geometric profile looked similar to it.

I have to fight tooth and nail to convince them to look at the newspaper ads for the same.

No offense meant to figo owners but have any of you come across similar situation when a casual observer mistakes a figo for the fusion?
Old 25th April 2010, 13:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Initially I too got confused with Fusion and Figo. Fusion has number plate on the rear bumper and Figo has on the Dicky.

Anyone asking me whether its a Figo or a Fusion I first tell them to notice the rear number plate.
Old 25th April 2010, 13:21   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

It is little bit difficult to distinguish Figo and Fusion from rear. The tail lights are no so different. Once I was checking the pics of new figo and my colleague came from behind and said "Oh Fusion!".
Old 25th April 2010, 13:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

im not surprised at the knowledge of common man/woman girl/boy about the automobile industry in india and the kind of different vehicles on indian roads!

looks like Ford India has created a "Figfusion" ( Big Confusion)!

Last edited by Parm : 25th April 2010 at 13:31.
Old 25th April 2010, 13:46   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Like GTO started a thread on vista's design similarities to the old Indica, I too am tempted to do the same, especially after the recent reactions that I have to go through.

Now, coming to the topic, since the Ford Figo has been a smash hit in India, all of a sudden, my relatives are asking me-how come the fusion's sales have seen a sudden splurge? I have to waste my energy to convince them that its the all new figo, not the fusion thats done the trick. the Fusion has been phased out. But still they continue to mistake a figo for a fusion, especially when seen from a bit far off.

Even today, in my colony, 3-4 figos have entered and my cousin sister mistook them for a fusion from the side angle.

She even asked me-is that a facelifted fusion, just because the geometric profile looked similar to it.

I have to fight tooth and nail to convince them to look at the newspaper ads for the same.

No offense meant to figo owners but have any of you come across similar situation when a casual observer mistakes a figo for the fusion?
Acually this is truth that Figo is more of Fusion than any thing else, its been shorten to under 4 mts and also changed some earlier bulky looks of fusion.
In fact I always wanted to buy Fusion but could never because of few reasons like its ugly front,price etc.
Now since its affordable and better looking, people are buying it, me too.

Last edited by jacksons : 25th April 2010 at 13:48.
Old 25th April 2010, 15:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Well, let us not blame the general junta for getting confused. After all, Maruti has made several facelifts to the 800 and the WagonR over the past decade.

Therefore it is natural for people to think that Ford has done the same with the Fusion

BTW, it is sad to know that the Fusion is being phased out---i saw so many of them in England. I wonder why it failed in India.
Old 25th April 2010, 18:31   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
im not surprised at the knowledge of common man/woman girl/boy about the automobile industry in india and the kind of different vehicles on indian roads!
I think any person who confuses Figo with Fusion is, relatively speaking, already a little bit knowledgeable about cars. I know many real common people who can recognize neither Fusion nor Figo. All they know is Marutis and Tatas. Being able to recognize Fusion, I feel, is already a sign of progress.
Dr.AD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2010, 19:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
I think any person who confuses Figo with Fusion is, relatively speaking, already a little bit knowledgeable about cars. I know many real common people who can recognize neither Fusion nor Figo. All they know is Marutis and Tatas. Being able to recognize Fusion, I feel, is already a sign of progress.
i know few people who can tell the difference between an Autorickshaw and a Cyclerickshaw.
Old 25th April 2010, 20:06   #9
Team-BHP Support

May be a good thing?

Vista case study-

Vista was trying to become a bigger car, and go a segment higher! It also wanted to get rid of the taxi image that its predecessor had created. Hence, it was not at all a good idea for TATA to give it Indica looks and name!

Figo case study-

Fusion was a premium hatch (One of the first in India), and was a failure due to high price, perceived as less VFM, confused brand placements. However, people still connected it with an expensive hatch.

Now figo, is going a segment down against the Swift (even below in pricing). Hence, i think its a good thing to resemble something from a segment up! People comparing it as a refreshed fusion with a reconsidered VFM pricing could actually work in favour of Figo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Like GTO started a thread on vista's design similarities to the old Indica
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...a-sighhhh.html
Old 25th April 2010, 22:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Of course, the platforms are different, yet one would always feel Figo is a cousin of Fusion and the actual cousins Fiesta and Ikon.
Anyway, if your car is mistook to a car which is atlest a lakh more than this ( a bit shoddy though), dont think anyone would want to complain.
But remember its all part and parcel of a new car owning experience, you explain to people that this is the new model launch..
Old 25th April 2010, 23:09   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Of course, the platforms are different, yet one would always feel Figo is a cousin of Fusion and the actual cousins Fiesta and Ikon.
I believe both are from the same platform? The old generation fiesta platform that forms the basis for Fusion, fiesta and now figo!
Old 26th April 2010, 00:51   #12
BHPian

Even I was caught up in this confusion yesterday. At a local ICE dealer, I glimpsed the bonnet of something like the Figo from parked behind a few other cars.
So thinking i'll get a chance to look at a Figo up close, I strolled around that side only to realise that its a Fusion.

I've seen a couple of Figo's on road and it's much smaller in profile than I expected. A dinky-Fusion.
Old 26th April 2010, 02:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the Figo has a similarity with the Fusion (as does the Vista with the older Indica), but with no offense to GTO and Sid, both these threads are pointless.

For a forum of car enthusiasts, both these cars are sufficiently different (stylistically) from their predecessors, to be instantly recognizable.
Old 26th April 2010, 06:31   #14
Team-BHP Support

I guess this is a kind of pointless thread because we're discussing about human ignorance. Its common that same brand models will have some common looks.
Old 26th April 2010, 08:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

To me, the height of the cars says it all. There's a world of difference in height between Fusion & Figo & its easily noticed.

Most Viewed