Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2010, 03:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I find i10 one of the worst looking cars in India. Totally shapeless, ill prportioned, unattractive from any angle. Wonder how people buy this car. May be because Santro was a hit, its success has rubbed off on i10. I won't buy it if they price it near even Alto. People have become suckers for ugly cars in India. And the beautiful cars from Hyundai viz. Elantra, Sonata, Terracan, Tucson bombed. Even the beautifull i20 is not doing that well. We are a crazy lot.

As for i10 diesel, Hyundai's self-appraisal seems to be higher than it ought to be. There is no way i10 can make any mark in the market at a premium price. Because premium car, it is not.

Tricked by someone owning a Hyundai i10, my friend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Seems you have misunderstood my post, friend.

My point was, once Hyundai comes under pressure due to the recent launches, they will think about launching the diesel version + revising prices! At current prices, i10 is very highly priced compared to Beat and Figo IMO.

i20 is doing very well, for its segment and pricing!

Second best selling car in March. Love it or hate it, you just can dismiss it! The car is a hit with the masses. People who would love to pick up something that feels premium compared to Maruti, but still play it safe w.r.t resale value, A.S.S, brand etc.

can dismiss it? cannot is what you meant - right?

IMO Hyundai did a good job to back off. No use of launching a car and watch it sell in trickles due to being NVFM.
Old 28th April 2010, 03:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Second best selling car in March. Love it or hate it, you just can dismiss it! The car is a hit with the masses. People who would love to pick up something that feels premium compared to Maruti, but still play it safe w.r.t resale value, A.S.S, brand etc.
Very true. It is to Hyundai India's credit that they've been able to gain a huge amount of brand recognition in a relatively short span of time. Like you mentioned, the i20 has been a fantastic success too.
Old 28th April 2010, 09:38   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I find i10 one of the worst looking c ars in India. Totally shapeless, ill prportioned, unattractive from any angle. Wonder how people buy this car. May be because Santro was a hit, its success has rubbed off on i10. I won't buy it if they price it near even Alto. People have become suckers for ugly cars in India. And the beautiful cars from Hyundai viz. Elantra, Sonata, Terracan, Tucson bombed. Even the beautifull i20 is not doing that well. We are a crazy lot.
The i10 actually is not a bad looker. It is not a hot hatch either. It is a conservative design with minimal flimsiness. The rear end design is quite good and proportionate. The i10 deserved success for its quality construction and good interiors. This coupled with a good kappa engine and good A.S.S. from hyundai made it a winner.

The Terracan and Tucson were overpriced and not competitive enough in the premium segment.

The Sonata was good and though it had a diesel engine it could not match the Accord or Laura on overall premium feel.

The Elantra also faced stiff competition from Octavia, Civic, Optra and Corolla and gave up.
Old 28th April 2010, 10:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
A significant market changer at least for Delhi and Mumbai would be if manufacturers launched CNG models of their cars. Sorry for hijacking this thread, but ever since converting to CNG, I'm completely sold over it. Fiat shall be (hopefully) launching a CNG Punto, why can't Hyundai do that to the i10? We already have the Santro, which was an excellent car to be converted to CNG given it's strong low/mid rpm torque levels, all they need to do is launch a CNG i10 variant, albeit at a premium and promote it aggressively.
Hyundai already has a CNG I10 in all 1.1 variants available, at least in Delhi/NCR with full manufacturer warranty.
And as far as design is concerned, the I10 at least has some decency in the design unlike the ugly estilo/wagon-r/ritz trio and the beat.

But I was mighty impressed with the diesel I10 when I drove it sometime last year. It should be sold here, of course price is a major factor. Good city diesel cars like the ritz have been sales disasters.

Last edited by sidindica : 28th April 2010 at 10:44.
Old 28th April 2010, 11:13   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
can dismiss it? cannot is what you meant - right?
Right!

Thats what happens after 8 hours of night shift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
But I was mighty impressed with the diesel I10 when I drove it sometime last year. It should be sold here, of course price is a major factor. Good city diesel cars like the ritz have been sales disasters.
Ritz being a sales disaster has a lot to do with the looks rather than pricing IMO!

Its really surprising that Hyundai still hasn't set up a state-of-the-art diesel engine manufacturing plant in India. I believe their engines like the 1.4CRDi in the i20 are imported (?) adding to the price of the diesel variants. Surprising since Hyundai was one of the first to tap into the diesel car market in India.

I still remember driving the Accent CRDi for the first time and the way it pulled had me scratching my head in disbelief! They seem to have lost their way a bit though!
Old 28th April 2010, 14:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ritz being a sales disaster has a lot to do with the looks rather than pricing IMO!
IMO its the Swift DDiS which is killing Ritz DDiS. No doubt Ritz looks unconventional, but sales between 5k to 7k per month proves that Ritz is well received.

Quote:
I still remember driving the Accent CRDi for the first time and the way it pulled had me scratching my head in disbelief! They seem to have lost their way a bit though!
Hyundai's CRDi may be expensive but its one of the best diesel engine IMO.
Old 28th April 2010, 14:30   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
With Suzuki going with VW, may be FIAT can team up with Hyundai to provide them reliable diesel engine.
Fiat won't do that. They didn't team up with Suzuki. Fiat had an alliance with GM and gave them the Multijet during the alliance. Since GM has a stake in Suzuki, they got hold of the engine.
Old 28th April 2010, 22:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

[quote=blackasta;1859258]Tricked by someone owning a Hyundai i10, my friend?

Heck, no V for Vendetta! My girlfriend's dad owns one but I still don't like it, haha... I hope she doesn't see this thread.
Old 29th April 2010, 00:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

Guys, i10 has been No.2 in India for quite some time. A recent newspaper report on i10 carried its No.2 tag as something which is new, surprising many.

A Diesel i10 will surely be something I would like Hyundai to launch. Blessing for people in Delhi NCR who travel long distances and are victims of parking issues.

Last edited by tsk13 : 29th April 2010 at 00:17.
Old 29th April 2010, 02:02   #25
Senior - BHPian

[quote=pgsagar;1860571]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Tricked by someone owning a Hyundai i10, my friend?

Heck, no V for Vendetta! My girlfriend's dad owns one but I still don't like it, haha... I hope she doesn't see this thread.

Well - girlfriends sure don't like jokes about their dad!!

On a different tone, I too did not buy the i10 for its looks, but for the unique match it offers where the lines of affordability, parking space, easy driving, FE, safety and AT meet!
Tried to pimp my ride with some nice alloys and fat rubber though!!
Old 29th April 2010, 18:56   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Not having a diesel option for the i10 could cost it dear. Sure, its a fantastic hatch that is selling in equally impressive numbers...but competition is only getting more intense (Ritz, Figo, Beat, New WagonR etc.) are all priced a notch lower. The market has amply demonstrated its hunger for diesel power in the A2 / B segments. I'm honestly quite surprised to read on this development and hope that it isn't true. After all, Hyundai was the first company to give us a sub-10 lakh rupee common-rail diesel (Accent CRDi).

Quote:
How is 5000 - 6000 cars monthly sales a disaster? It might not sell as much as the swift, yet the Ritz' performance is respectable.
Old 29th April 2010, 19:36   #27
BHPian

Tough for Hyundai?

Hyundai is already under pressure. The Santro is out-dated, the overpriced i10 is facing competition from VFM models, the higher segment cars except for the i20 are not doing well.And now if the i10 doesn't get a diesel heart, it may well fall back behind the competitors, esp. when GM comes up with the diesel Beat.
Is it that Hyundai can no more offer VFM cars?
Old 29th April 2010, 23:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

[quote=auto-one;1862002]And now if the i10 doesn't get a diesel heart, it may well fall back behind the competitors, esp. when GM comes up with the diesel Beat.

GM coming up with a diesel hatch? Hmmm.... Let's see. GM owns stake in Fiat and were co-developer of the famed multijet engine. This engine found its way into Maruti and Tata cars. But, GM? They have been sleeping all these years. What stopped them from slotting this engine into Spark? And now when the time comes to find one for Beat, instead of settling for multijet, they have zeroed in on a 3-pot rattler which will shake/roll/pitch/yaw the car like a concrete mixer. God, I hate those 3-cylinder engines! So much for cost-cutting!
Old 30th April 2010, 02:40   #29
BHPian

Hyundai may have a trick or two up their sleeve. I am sure they will introduce a diesel motor in the same price range as Ritz, Swift etc. It MAY not be i10. Perhaps a new car from Hyundai in the offing?
Old 30th April 2010, 08:46   #30
BANNED

Its already late. In the coming months i10 will come under pressure because of the Figo.

I hope Hyundai reduce the price of i10 petrol for giving away room for the Diesel heart.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks