Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2010, 11:12   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-one View Post
Hyundai is already under pressure. The Santro is out-dated, the overpriced i10 is facing competition from VFM models, the higher segment cars except for the i20 are not doing well.And now if the i10 doesn't get a diesel heart, it may well fall back behind the competitors, esp. when GM comes up with the diesel Beat.
Is it that Hyundai can no more offer VFM cars?
You couldn't have had worse timing, Auto-one. Your statement is not entirely true. If you look up the March sales figures thread, the Hyundai i10 has had one of its best months ever, selling over 15,000 units, and nearly overtook the Alto. If it wasn't VFM, the i10 would not be the second best selling car in India!
Old 17th May 2010, 20:46   #32
BHPian

Hyundai to launch diesel variant of i10 to counter Ford Figo

Its official what we all knew! Ford Figo has rattled the competition and Nissan Micra is not even launched!

SEOUL: AFTER a lull, action is back in the compact car market. The auto turf may soon see rivalry intensifying between the Korean and American car makers, as Hyundai Motor is set to launch a diesel variant of its next-generation car — i10 to counter Ford's 'Figo.'

For the first time, Korean car maker and India's largest exporter Hyundai has conceded that Figo and not Nissan's 'Micra' will keep the company on its toes, a candid Hyundai Motor India (HMI) MD H W Park admitted to visiting journalists from India to the company headquarters here last week.

He was categorical that Hyundai was not duly concerned about Micra (Which is surprising that they even mentioned a yet to be launched car!)

Source :: Hyundai to launch diesel variant of i10 to counter Ford Figo-Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Mods: can we change the title of this thread to indicate that i10 diesel might not have been shelved?

Last edited by SunilM : 17th May 2010 at 20:49.
Old 18th May 2010, 13:40   #33
BHPian

Buoyed by the overwhelming response of the petrol version of i10, Hyundai is moving a step further with the launch of a diesel variant Hyundai i10. There is also a lot of buzz that Hyundai i10 diesel will be fitted with a 1.1 L CRDi (Common Rail Direct iIjection) engine which is likely to offer improved fuel efficiency and improved drivability due to the engine's higher torque output as compared to the petrol version. Furthermore, it is believed that the diesel-powered i10 will qualify the company for small car excise norms and each car's transmission will be made in the Chennai plant. The engine is likely to be sourced from its parent company in South Korea.
The official spokesperson of Hyundai India, when contacted, said, “Right now we are just exploring the feasibility of the diesel version of i10. Nothing has been firmed up yet. We will officially announce it, as and when we finalise our plans.”

It is widely believed that the Hyundai i10 diesel variant will be 15-30 percent costlier than the petrol-powered Hyundai i10. Currently, Hyundai Motor India gets 1.1-litre diesel engines from Hyundai Motor Company for the export version of the aforesaid model.

Meanwhile, Han-Woo Park, managing director & CEO, Hyundai Motor India Ltd, told a group of visiting Indian journalists last week that the company plans to launch a new model every year for the next few years as it is aiming to maintain its current marketshare. Besides, it will give a facelift to an existing model every year and also make minor modifications for a model year change. He said this will be the company's strategy to meet competition, from the likes of Ford Figo, Chevrolet Beat, Volkswagen Polo and the new WagonR from Maruti Suzuki, besides the spate of new launches planned. When asked whether he will look at a diesel engine option for the i10, Park said that the company had not thought of this option till now, but might consider it for the new i10, whenever it was launched.

Diesel version of Hyundai i10 on the cards -WheelsUnplugged Automobile Industry News
Old 19th May 2010, 17:45   #34
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Just got this at Vicky.in. As Hyundai is targeting Figo TDCI, i hope Hyundai have an engine which can compete against 1.4 TDCI. Having driven this engine extensively (85K on my Fusion TDCI), i can say that it is the best small diesel engine for the city.

Hyundai’s poser to Ford Figo- Diesel variant of i10

The clash is vital and crucial for the auto industry after a reverberating recession world wide. This time the clash is between the South Korean car maker Hyundai and the American car giant Ford. Hyundai has seen the nuance to counter Ford’s Figo by devising the diesel variant of i10. Now only Hyundai acknowledges its clash against Ford Figo and Nissan Micra, said the company’s MD for India. Of these two, he said, the company is more concerned with the rise of Figo and in addition, it is Maruti’s WagonR. He said it is certain that the diesel variant of i10 will be pitted against these vehicles, but with no time bound process.

Hyundai’s Chennai facility has the capacity of 6 lakh cars per year and from these, the petrol version of i10 is exported to major countries. The company offers Atos, i10, i20, Getz, Verna(Accent) and Sonata(NF) to the sub-continents. There will be a launch of Santa Fe, the mid-size SUV as a CBU, during the last quarter of this year, he added. Apart from these, the company is planning to launch at least one model a year as news about the Sonata YF(sedan), refined i10 and i20 for the Indian market is already in the air. He denied the phasing out of Santro, which is doing business of 8000 units a month and there will be an expansion of the current line of models during the early 2011-12, he mentioned.

To meet the potential small car segment, the company is devising a sub-Santro model and the R&D for this is on at Namyang. The company has witnessed the growth of its market share from 20.7% to 20.6% with the export market spread over 120 countries. The sale in the last year was 289863 units and the company is planning to increase the dealer network to 320 from the existing 290. The company is fully aware of the growing rural market- 31% currently with the rate of 5%- for which there will be hub-and-spoke model. Hyundai is making the strategy on the lines of Maruti which has a stronghold in these rural pockets. This year’s target, he said, is to retain or surpass the 10% industry growth. There will be a move to retain 50:50 status of domestic and export market akin to last year, though there will be a stress on domestic market to make the ratio to 57:43. The company likes to play within the capacity and is to wait the increase before going for an expansion, he concluded.

Unquote
Old 20th May 2010, 00:26   #35
Senior - BHPian

If the diesel variant is 15-30 percent higher than the petrol,then its to big a price difference.I hope they price it well.
Old 20th May 2010, 02:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

More news and hints on the same:
Hyundai Motor mulls new engine unit in India- Hindustan Times
Old 29th August 2010, 10:44   #37
BHPian

Guys I just spoke to a friend who has been to HMP Hyundai in chennai and he got a price list from them for buying an i10.
He says one of the options in the price list says 'i10 Diesel 1.4' at 6 lakhs!

Can anyone confirm if i10 has indeed been launched with the diesel or is it coming very soon that the price lists have reached the dealers?
Old 29th August 2010, 10:52   #38
Senior - BHPian

1.4 diesel for a car of i10's size @ 6 lakhs?
Sorry - No takers buddy. Even if it offers performance akin to verna.
6 lakhs+road tax+registration+insurance is simply too much to shell out for an i10.
Old 29th August 2010, 16:42   #39
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
Guys I just spoke to a friend who has been to HMP Hyundai in chennai and he got a price list from them for buying an i10.
He says one of the options in the price list says 'i10 Diesel 1.4' at 6 lakhs!

Can anyone confirm if i10 has indeed been launched with the diesel or is it coming very soon that the price lists have reached the dealers?
This is good news . HMP price list has all the calculations and i am sure your friend saw the on road prices. But, how can they include a diesel version in price list without launching the product.

IMO, 1.4 Litre with all bells and whistles will do well.
Old 29th August 2010, 16:49   #40
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
IMO, 1.4 Litre with all bells and whistles will do well.
could be the 75PS version of i20 crdi
Old 29th August 2010, 17:54   #41
Senior - BHPian

I 10 is only sold with 1.1 litre 3 cylinder diesel engine globally. No plans to launch it in India despite with the coming facelift. The 6 lakh rupee OTR price could be of I 20 ERA 1.4 diesel. It costs approx 5.72 lakhs ex showroom Delhi.
Old 10th September 2010, 11:43   #42
BHPian

Guys heard from somewhere a new top-end version of i10 is going to be released coming September 22nd. Is it true? Can anyone confirm this?
Old 10th September 2010, 14:48   #43
BHPian

this thread is making me jittery !

do i wait for the diesel or do i continue with the VTVT petrol which i have booked? Diesel option soon would just be perfect !!!!

HELP !!!
Old 10th September 2010, 15:47   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

There is a big reason why Hyundai is delaying the launch of the diesel version. Unlike their competitors who manufacture the diesel engines(Especially Multijet and TDCi), Hyundai will have to import the engine. This will add to the costs and will jack the prices in Swift D range.

The chances of Hyundai i10 CRDi not coming to India are very bright.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks