Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2010, 08:41   #1
BHPian

Hyundai may shelve diesel i10 UPDATE: Maybe not !

Source: Autocar India

Hyundai Motor India (HMIL) may shelve the diesel version of the i10 as the engine is proving to be very expensive. It is likely that the next-generation i10, which will come not before 2013, will have a diesel engine that will be localized in India from the start of production.
Old 27th April 2010, 09:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai has taken a wise decision. Nobody is going to buy an i10 for 6.5-7Lacs. They almost shot themselves in their foot with the i20, but the expensive i10 will be a disaster for sure, especially with the likes of Figo etc.
Old 27th April 2010, 09:55   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Nobody is going to buy an i10 for 6.5-7Lacs.
Even the i10 petrol is priced very high compared to Beat/Figo etc. Almost a lakh price difference between comparable variants of Beat and i10. (1.1 variant of i10 with similar prices absolutely lacks any sort of equipment!) However, it is by far one of the best sellers in India! The premium feel beige interiors has a lot to contribute to that IMO!

Hyundai is NOT UNDER PRESSURE to introduce i10 diesel, because of the very huge sales of the petrol. If the petrol version comes under sales pressure due to the introduction of recent hatches, it would very well reduce prices + come out with diesel IMO!
Old 27th April 2010, 11:10   #4
BHPian

I never expected the i10 diesel. The car will prove to be very expensive (and probably flop) and after the arrival of Figo, Hyundai decided there was no point in going ahead with the diesel plans. The i10 petrol is expensive IMHO and doesnt deserve to sell as much as it currently is
Old 27th April 2010, 11:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

I believe that were not able to develop the planned diesel in the targeted price range. As per earlier inputs the OTR cost of the car was over Rs.6 lacs. This would not have sold enough numbers to generate expected profits.
Old 27th April 2010, 12:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Its interesting. How does Maruti manage to put diesels in Ritz at those prices?
Old 27th April 2010, 12:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

^^ that's because of the economies of scale in case of Fiat's MJD.

Probably Hyundai could not develop a low cost diesel. I read that they had planned a 800cc diesel. But with the competition offering 1.25l to 1.4l diesel in the price range, not many would have gone for anything lesser (my opinion).
Old 27th April 2010, 21:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Definately bad news for Hyundai IMO. Hyundai definately needs a diesel to tap the small car diesel marekt of India. Waiting till 2013 is too late IMHO.

With Suzuki going with VW, may be FIAT can team up with Hyundai to provide them reliable diesel engine.
Old 27th April 2010, 22:16   #9
Team-BHP Support

As said earlier in the post, i10 is yet to see its sales come down for petrol vehicles due to cheaper competition. Thats when they will need to firm up their plan for i10 next generation.
Old 27th April 2010, 22:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Even the i10 petrol is priced very high compared to Beat/Figo etc. Almost a lakh price difference between comparable variants of Beat and i10. (1.1 variant of i10 with similar prices absolutely lacks any sort of equipment!) However, it is by far one of the best sellers in India! The premium feel beige interiors has a lot to contribute to that IMO!

Hyundai is NOT UNDER PRESSURE to introduce i10 diesel, because of the very huge sales of the petrol. If the petrol version comes under sales pressure due to the introduction of recent hatches, it would very well reduce prices + come out with diesel IMO!
Beat/Figo has been just launched and it will be too early to say that these 2 will have no effect on i10's sale.

IMO Hyundai should not launch diesel i10, the only reason is they will never be able to price it correctly. Instead why not they considering i10 Electric??
Old 27th April 2010, 22:47   #11
SAS
BHPian

A significant market changer at least for Delhi and Mumbai would be if manufacturers launched CNG models of their cars. Sorry for hijacking this thread, but ever since converting to CNG, I'm completely sold over it. Fiat shall be (hopefully) launching a CNG Punto, why can't Hyundai do that to the i10? We already have the Santro, which was an excellent car to be converted to CNG given it's strong low/mid rpm torque levels, all they need to do is launch a CNG i10 variant, albeit at a premium and promote it aggressively.
Old 27th April 2010, 23:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

The i10 diesel would have been an important launch, regardless of the price, if Hyundai were to be exporting enough numbers. The way I see it, is that having a presence in a segment (small car, diesel) is also quite important. The way the i20 worked out for them, where they had initially decided that they'll use it as a branding exercise (rest, just export), and it ended up being a fantastic success. I understand that the i20 was in a different segment though, the point is that if they are exporting the car, they might as well make it available for the local market.

If they had been able to price the car, at 6lakhs on-road (base version), with their stellar sales team, I think they would have found buyers.

But then, most of what I've written is speculation and if Hyundai India has actually shelved the plans, I am sure they must have done sufficient number crunching.
Old 28th April 2010, 00:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

I find i10 one of the worst looking cars in India. Totally shapeless, ill prportioned, unattractive from any angle. Wonder how people buy this car. May be because Santro was a hit, its success has rubbed off on i10. I won't buy it if they price it near even Alto. People have become suckers for ugly cars in India. And the beautiful cars from Hyundai viz. Elantra, Sonata, Terracan, Tucson bombed. Even the beautifull i20 is not doing that well. We are a crazy lot.

As for i10 diesel, Hyundai's self-appraisal seems to be higher than it ought to be. There is no way i10 can make any mark in the market at a premium price. Because premium car, it is not.
Old 28th April 2010, 00:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai needs a diesel engine plant in india pronto. Importing engines and using them will obviously add to cost..
Old 28th April 2010, 03:12   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Beat/Figo has been just launched and it will be too early to say that these 2 will have no effect on i10's sale.
Seems you have misunderstood my post, friend.

My point was, once Hyundai comes under pressure due to the recent launches, they will think about launching the diesel version + revising prices! At current prices, i10 is very highly priced compared to Beat and Figo IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Even the beautifull i20 is not doing that well. We are a crazy lot.
i20 is doing very well, for its segment and pricing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
There is no way i10 can make any mark in the market at a premium price. Because premium car, it is not.
Second best selling car in March. Love it or hate it, you just can dismiss it! The car is a hit with the masses. People who would love to pick up something that feels premium compared to Maruti, but still play it safe w.r.t resale value, A.S.S, brand etc.

Most Viewed