Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2010, 13:43   #1
BHPian

NEWS : Suzuki models to be branded as VW !

NDTV says WagonR and Ritz would be rebadged and moved into the VW stable and sold at a premium .

I personally find this development mind boggling . I dont see how Japanese/Indian technology and styling principles can directly be adopted by a German Manufacturer and yet still gain respect for it.

This defo has something to do with Maruti's future plans . It might be so massive that no other manufacturer may be able to compete. VW knows this and is prepared to take a brand cut - Its the developing market anyways , our minds will always sway towards anything thats new.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 27th April 2010 at 13:48.
Old 27th April 2010, 13:51   #2

That was a very quick. Just saw it on ndtv that new wagon r and ritz are to be sold as VW brand, but with slightly thick body panels and permium interiors.
Old 27th April 2010, 13:51   #3
ram17bhp

Is VW busying out any stake in MSIL ? Or just wanted to aquire both models ? Well if thats the case then what happens to the previous owners of wagon r and ritz ? how about the service of those cars is VW going to service them or Maruti ?

OT: My friend was inclined in buying a polo , now I can suggest him a wagon-r saying its a VW

Old 27th April 2010, 13:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

WHAT? Can someone pinch me?!! This is unbelievable!
Old 27th April 2010, 14:00   #5
BHPian

Its not April the 1st again is it..
This is mind boggling indeed if true. Two of the ugliest cars in the Maruti stable to get the VW badge?
Old 27th April 2010, 14:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

According to this :

Quote:
Following the 20% stake acquisition in Suzuki (the parent group of Maruti Suzuki) by Volkswagen, the two giants have started looking at synergies. As expected, India is the prime market for this european – japanese tie-up and things have started unfolding. NDTV reports that Maruti may produce cars based on Ritz and new Wagon-R (2010) for Volkswagen and Skoda brands. Maruti will produce cars for Volkswagen group and re-badged as Volkswagen/Skoda. It adds that Volkswagen will also source DDIS (diesel) and K-series engine (petrol) for these cars. Going through the details, it lookalike Maruti – Nissan deal might be replicated (Maruti produces A-star for Nissan which is re-badged as Nissan Pixo and being sold across europe.)
The WagonR/Ritz based models will be exported by Maruti and rebadged as VW.

Source .
Old 27th April 2010, 14:04   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
NDTV says WagonR and Ritz would be rebadged and moved into the VW stable and sold at a premium .
Volkswagen stable.
So could it mean they can distribute it amongst Skoda or Seat.
Old 27th April 2010, 14:07   #8
BHPian

If they give premium interiors with no rattles and better body panels, with a slight increase in cost, nothing like it.
That that would be day dreaming, right?
In the news they say cars based on WagonR and Ritz platform, where did it say that they will re-badge WagonR and Ritz.

Last edited by pb10gagan : 27th April 2010 at 14:08.
Old 27th April 2010, 14:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram17bhp View Post
Is VW busying out any stake in MSIL ?
They already bought 19.9% stake.

Quote:
I don't see it happening here in India, may be in some other countries. But why Ritz and Wagon R?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post
If they give premium interiors with no rattles and better body panels, with a slight increase in cost, nothing like it.That that would be day dreaming, right?
That would be lot of work for VW. Instead put that 1.2 K-Series and 1.3 DDiS/MJD in VW Polo and Fabia

Last edited by HammerHead : 27th April 2010 at 14:10.
Old 27th April 2010, 14:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Are these rebadged Ritz/WagonR for Indian market? I dont think so. MSIL may make improved version of these two model and sell it outside.

I wonder why they chose these two ugly looking cars?
Old 27th April 2010, 14:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

What about service? Will that be from Maruti or Volkswagen or do we have choice at both the places? Guys, any idea or source of information on that?
Old 27th April 2010, 14:13   #12
BHPian

Oh man this is awesome, so we have VW branded Ritz and WagonR running around our roads? I am sure VW will do a good job of differentiating these from Maruti ones. Heavy german DNA will still be missing.
Old 27th April 2010, 14:15   #13
BHPian

Weird, isn't it?

Just saw Sidharth Patankar talk about this on NDTV.
But then whats Maruti Suzuki going to do without both these models? I doubt they if they would continue selling them like now. Perhaps launch newer models to fill the void?
Sounds weird.
Old 27th April 2010, 14:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

Will Maruti build cars based on Ritz and WagonR or will they just re-badge the existing cars?
I had seen this news in Autocar last week.
Old 27th April 2010, 14:16   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post
In the news they say cars based on WagonR and Ritz platform, where did it say that they will re-badge WagonR and Ritz.
Thats a very good point if i got it wrong in all the shock pb.

But what would cars based on WagonR and Ritz platform mean? Its still not German Engineering for me !. I wish they would have done this whole thing behind closed doors and just came out with the cars .

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 27th April 2010 at 14:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks