Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2005, 20:32   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
6 months. They have to settle the case within 6 months of the consumer filing it. And there are specific grounds for appeals against the verdict - the company cannot just prolong the case by appealing on flimsy grounds.

I'm sure the Roys know this, because like Varun says they have a lawyer.
If I was so sure that the matter could be resolved in 6 months I wouldn't have waited so long. It would be nice if someone could give me facts about cases that have been resolved in such a short time in Karnataka. I know cases which have gone on for more than one and a half years, at the District Level; then the State Level, and finally an appeal is filed at the National Level. If I had gone to court earlier, I would be breaking the law by stating facts right now. That's the best thing that could have happened for Tatas. No one would have ever known about such an experience. By putting up information of our car, we save the ignorant and the innocent, who now have a choice in buying a vehicle.

All newspapers and magazines can do their bit in embarrassing the manufacturer, in this case Tata Motors, by publishing these facts immaterial of whether the matter is in court or not. If one feels that by putting up such information, one is getting publicity, then he is sadly mistaken. It is nice to know my fellow BHPians have done more than their bit, by either sending mails or informing the Tata Officials about this ordeal. Will these officials wake-up only if the matter goes to court? We have not received any reaction to all our letters written to them and I am sure letters from public, whose plight could be the same as ours tomorrow, could put an additional pressure on these officials to listen to their customers. The fact is that we in India take things lying down. Definitely Tata Motors has gone through a lot of embarassment here. The point here is how does one deal with a company, which does not want to acknowledge the no. of repairs done, the no. of parts changed, the no. of repairs that are still pending. A company which does not want to specify now, the time required to repair this NEW vehicle. This company does not have the confidence in the completion of repairs to state in writing that these problems will not recur in the next one and a half years. They do not want to take responsibility of delivering a defective car. Will only going to court solve the issue? It will only help Tatas and they will welcome such a move. If facts mentioned on the car were untrue, you think Tatas would have kept quiet so far? By not giving specific answers to our letters, they are pushing us to the wall, waiting for us to go to court, so that the officials can wash their hands off and leave everything to their legal department.
Old 9th November 2005, 20:44   #137
Senior - BHPian

I dont know about you Varun, but I have had just one occassion to send a mail to someone in Tata Motors and I received a reply in about 15 minutes with copies to the relevant people in the organization.

Another person who had the same experience is TBHP member Nitinbhag (also from Bangalore) who had some issues with his booking for the Dicor LX. One email to Tata Motors and his issue was sorted out within a few hours.

Anyway, lets hear what Tata Motors have to say about your case. I dont buy your arguement that going legal is not going to help your cause, by the way.

Last edited by Steeroid : 9th November 2005 at 20:45.
Old 9th November 2005, 21:18   #138
BHPian

Things like bookings are small issues compared to the present case. Even we had a booking issue which was addressed satisfactorily. It was in their interest that a booking issue should be resolved, otherwise they would have faced a cancellation in their booking. In this case, a huge payment has already been made. They have delivered a defective product which they do not want to acknowledge.
Old 9th November 2005, 22:49   #139
Senior - BHPian

Varun, the others are referring to consumer court, which is bound by law to deliver a judgement inside six months.
Old 10th November 2005, 09:10   #140
BHPian

Yes, I know. The Consumer is first redressed at the District Level, then State Level and then National Level. The aggrieved parties are at liberty to appeal to the next higher court in order to buy time.
The point here is not whether The Roys get a replacement or not. I think this thread is a godsent platform where one can speak his mind on exposing the apathy of big companies.

Okay, so we go to court, the next guy who has a problem goes to court, and so on. How does Tata become responsible from this, unless there is a huge outcry against its doings? If they were really ethical, they would have come forward at least now with a replacement. But, it is obviious, they are far from being ethical. They are not concerned about the issue that they have sold a lemon. It could happen to anyone. How do we consumers make companies responsible for their products?
Old 10th November 2005, 10:15   #141
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Consumer is first redressed at the District Level, then State Level and then National Level. The aggrieved parties are at liberty to appeal to the next higher court in order to buy time.
The court of initial appeal depends on the amount being disputed. I believe national is only for 20 lacs +

GTO
Old 10th November 2005, 10:25   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunroy
Yes, I know. The Consumer is first redressed at the District Level, then State Level and then National Level. The aggrieved parties are at liberty to appeal to the next higher court in order to buy time.
The aggieved parties may appeal to the next higher court SUBJECT to certain requirements...you cant just appeal because you dont like the verdict - the grounds for appeal are more stringent.

Secondly, we ARE interested in whether the Roys get a replacement or not - if you DO get a replacement, then its obviously going to help a lot more people with their claims as there is a legal precedent. Tata is not going to replace other faulty vehicles, if any, just because they're scared of what the Roys did.

Finally, in the absence of a judgement in your favour all that you are currently doing can be construed as deliberate mud-slinging with intent to defame a company. You have no legal grounds for doing so - if you're not careful you will end up as the defendent.

Our legal system may take its time, but it generally gives the desired result. And when ignored, the judiciary can turn vicious if it feels that the aggrieved party has disregarded the law of the land.
Old 10th November 2005, 11:30   #143
Team-BHP Support

You need not file at district level. You can go straight to state level. IIRC for claims more than 5 lakh you have to go to state level and for claims more than 25 lakh you have to go to national level. You cannot file a claim > 5 lakh at district level
Old 10th November 2005, 14:32   #144
SUV
BHPian

I second Steeroid on the Legality Aspect .....

When you have all the Records intact and have enough proof that your vehicle is a Lemon, You should go to the Court. Just File a Case and send out a Notice, I dont think you will need to fight the Case cos i am sure they will come forward for a Settlement.

Once the Case is filed, Legally you have every Right Broadcast to a Much Wider Audience (read Newspaper's). That should give Tata's enough Publicity and prolly Teach them a Lesson as well. The Flip Side to it is probably Mr Ratan Tata will read it in the Paper's :-).

PS : When u are e-mail'ng Tata's Personnel (or any Large Coporate for that matter) refrain from using Free Mail Account's Like yahoo, gmail, hotmail etc..... These are treated as Spam most of the Time.
Generic ID's like Support@tata.com etc.. are however excluded from the Filter.
Old 10th November 2005, 14:48   #145
Team-BHP Support

I hope hard copies of letters and not just emails have been sent to TATA as well?
Old 10th November 2005, 23:29   #146
Max
BHPian

Hi Guyes,

I sent emails to more then 8 tata officials but haven't heard from anyone yet. 36 hours are already over. Not even acknowledgement I think Mr. Varun is right, don't expect any kind of help when you buy any product from TATA MOTORS.

I also had very very extremely bad experience with TATA Indicom when I bought new phone connection from them. Overall I think TATA group of companies is the most unmanaged companies. I will ovoid TATA's like plague from now. I have TATA AIG insurance and i will cancel it or won't renew it when it gets over.

Last edited by Max : 10th November 2005 at 23:32.
Old 10th November 2005, 23:51   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
Hi Guyes,

I sent emails to more then 8 tata officials but haven't heard from anyone yet. 36 hours are already over. Not even acknowledgement I think Mr. Varun is right, don't expect any kind of help when you buy any product from TATA MOTORS.

I also had very very extremely bad experience with TATA Indicom when I bought new phone connection from them. Overall I think TATA group of companies is the most unmanaged companies. I will ovoid TATA's like plague from now. I have TATA AIG insurance and i will cancel it or won't renew it when it gets over.

hey Max.. Suggestion.. why dont you forward the mails to Steeroid. He'll definitely get some response when he forwards these to tata, probably in less than 15 minutes.

I seriously think its worth a try. Then we'll know if Varun is right or wrong..
Old 11th November 2005, 00:18   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
Hi Guyes,

Thank You Very Much Max for all the trouble you've taken.

Let me share another experience that happened today, and I hope Ratan Tata sees thils because I am lodging a formal complaint on this issue also.

I happened to visit the Local VSNL Office today, to set right a renewal problem of mine which happened a few days back. The reception desk has two girls, both sharing a single telephone. ( a tata indicom landline ). In order to address my complaint, one of the receptionists looked around for the telephone, which was finally found under the desk, with the receiver off the hook. Obviously, the phone was placed below the table so that no one notices that the receiver was off the hook, giving a busy tone to any caller calling the help desk. When I reprimanded them for this, they said that they had gone for tea and hence had put the receiver off the hook. I told them that they should take turns in taking a break and not leave the desk unattended. It was only then that I noticed a huge poster on the wall with the chairman's photo on it. It was a Tata company.

Last edited by varunroy : 11th November 2005 at 00:20. Reason: add smiley
Old 11th November 2005, 00:36   #149
Senior - BHPian

@Max and VarunRoy, I think we have started extrapolating things way too far. Tata group is known for ethical business. At the start of my professional career, I have worked with a Tata company and I surely know they not just preach, but also try to practice it. JRD Tata was visionary with high ethical values and I personally hold Ratan Tata in high regard as well. Similar to Mr. Roy's case, there have been few instances reported against Ichiban Honda. Does that mean Honda organization is inept? Let's fight together for Roys' cause, but not generalize it to the Tata group. Tatas are far more ethical than certain other renowned Indian business houses.
Old 11th November 2005, 00:55   #150
BHPian

You may be right here RX.

Last edited by soccer : 11th November 2005 at 00:56. Reason: grammar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks