Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2005, 20:35   #31
Team-BHP Support

Yup, my mistake. I misunderstood the comment where it said this was a manipal motors vehicle. I guess Tata has to own up for supplying a lemon.
Old 13th October 2005, 22:23   #32
Senior - BHPian

Seems like we are more worried about the ripping off of stickers than the rip-off that the car is...

The point here is not whether Prerana or Tata is more at fault. THEY ALL ARE. How dare Tata supply a lemon and not take it back? How dare Prerana try and mess with someone's car? If it were my call, I would visit Prerana with a very large hammer.

The owner will have something to say, soon enough...
Old 13th October 2005, 22:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

Tata may not have taken it back because the incident never actually went to the manufacturer and remained inside the walls of the dealer. I know incidents where the manufacturer (TATA) have replaced the complete engine and even the car. Though the car maybe a complete lemon, the notorious dealers may be the main criminals behind this act.

Last edited by Stratos : 13th October 2005 at 22:54.
Old 13th October 2005, 22:58   #34
Senior - BHPian

From what I understand, all large corporations believe in accountability. Thus, if Tata was to sell a product through its dealers, it is responsible for the behaviour of its dealers. If it can entrust them with crores worth of products, it obviously has some relationship with them. I would hold Tata Motors accountable in all respects. When Manipal/Prerana sell a Tata product, it is with Tata's blessing. Thus, the lemon-pushing and hooligan behaviour is also under the auspices of Tata.
Old 13th October 2005, 23:08   #35
Senior - BHPian

Guys, do actually read whats on the stickers. It is sickening as to what kind of repairs have had to be made and even worse is the number of times the same work has been carried out and same part replaced. Utterly Disgusting! An effective of way getting the message across though. Does the owner have any proof as to who ripped off these stickers? Forget the suing, first i'd like to spend 15 mins in a locked room with the guy who dared to rip off the stickers.
Old 13th October 2005, 23:12   #36
BHPian

If they stuck the stickers from the inside of the car it would have been fun
raihan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2005, 23:22   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmmm..
Maybe i should do this to the lancer at the upcoming ACI performance show.
Small niggling problems but still problems.
As for this guy.
I know how he feels and i hope he sued TATA dealers and/or informed the TATA group about this defective vehicle.
It worked for my jijaji and some other people so i guess it should work for him.
Old 14th October 2005, 00:35   #38
BHPian

Thanks for the support..

I'm the owner of "The Sumo Victa". It is the fully-loaded, top end version, AND the mags are an accessory, not an OE on the top-end model.

More than the sticker tearing, the issue here is what the stickers say. We had anticipated the sticker tearing, and the same infomation was also pasted inside the windows which the prerana executives covered with newspapers.

By the way, Mr. Jaisheel and Mr. Abhilash (of prerana motors) accepted that this was their doing, and I have a complete recording of their conversation with me. The former even threatened to blow up the car. My car was also damaged by these guys. A police complaint has been lodged.

Tata Motors has been in the picture of all my grievances from Day One till Date. It is shocking that they have not responded and this makes it crystal clear that tata motors doesn't care for its customers post sale.
varunroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2005, 00:41   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
From what I understand, all large corporations believe in accountability. Thus, if Tata was to sell a product through its dealers, it is responsible for the behaviour of its dealers. If it can entrust them with crores worth of products, it obviously has some relationship with them. I would hold Tata Motors accountable in all respects. When Manipal/Prerana sell a Tata product, it is with Tata's blessing. Thus, the lemon-pushing and hooligan behaviour is also under the auspices of Tata.
Ideally, Yes and practically NO. Dealers are Tata representatives in some sense and hence, Tata Motors is responsible. But, unless such things are brought to the notice of Tata Motors, it is not possible for them to act. I am not trying to defend Tata motors, but just stating practical problems. Again, what to tolerate and what not, would vary between two organizations. It will be interesting to see how Tata motors react to this. If only we can get further information.

Edit Note: I just noticed that VarunRoy posted at the same time as I did. From his post, it seems that Tata Motors were aware of the problem. If that is the case, they deserve big big thumbs down.

Last edited by RX135 : 14th October 2005 at 00:46.
Old 14th October 2005, 01:41   #40
Senior - BHPian

I've just been through the whole thread and I am SHOCKED. I cannot imagine this happening to anyone in this day and age - SHAME on Tata Motors. I dont care whether or not their personnel were involved in ripping off the stickers and I dont care whether or not Tata Motors themselves were aware of the problems faced by this gentleman - NO MANUFACTURER CAN SELL A LEMON AS DESCRIBED IN THESE PAGES AND IF THEY DO THEY SHOULD BE DRAGGED TO THE COURTS AND PUBLICLY REPREMINDED, FINED AND THEIR LICENSE TO MANUFACTURE REVOKED. THAT ALONE IS CRIME ENOUGH - none of the other instances of neglect or high-handedness can be a bigger than that.

If this is true, I am ashamed of the country's largest 'indeginous manufacturer' and I hang my head in shame for the respect I have had for this organization in the past.

I have already forwarded this thread and links to the pictures to most of the people I know, and have included AutoCar India and BSM in a separate mail. We at Team BHP should ensure that those at fault for this criminal neglect are smoked out...an instance like this deserves a personal apology from Mr. Ratan Tata amongst other things, which would include the replacement of this vehicle with ANY vehicle of the owner's choice, substantial damages, a full investigation into Tata's manufacturing processes and a revocation of their manufacturing license for a period of at least 6 months or till they get their ducks in a row.

If it kills them as a manufacturer, SO BE IT. If this incident is true in its entirety, they are scum of the highest order.
Old 14th October 2005, 01:41   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunroy
More than the sticker tearing, the issue here is what the stickers say. We had anticipated the sticker tearing, and the same infomation was also pasted inside the windows which the prerana executives covered with newspapers.

By the way, Mr. Jaisheel and Mr. Abhilash (of prerana motors) accepted that this was their doing, and I have a complete recording of their conversation with me. The former even threatened to blow up the car. My car was also damaged by these guys. A police complaint has been lodged.
This incident has gone far beyond just selling you a defective vehicle. Take whatever action you can against Tata and especially the Dealer. Spreading the word around in auto. magazines is a good start. In addition, you should post your entire experience on Team-BHP itself and also www.mouthshut.com.

Last edited by Deeps : 14th October 2005 at 01:42.
Old 14th October 2005, 02:41   #42
BHPian

Shame

Varun,

That was a bold and unique gesture. I loved the audacity of it On the sticker tearing episode as well as the threatening, i sure hope you will sue the hell out of the dealers involved. My sympathies and wishes are with you.

Honestly, if this incident had taken place anywhere outside India, (say, in the US), there would have been a huge public outcry and you would have approximately a thousand lawyers calling or visiting you. I would encourage you to not let this go even if you are provided with a brand new car.

The dealer and, to some extent, Tata Motors have to face the fire, in this case. I will forward this to my friends too to pass the message on. Mouthshut, epinion, Indiacar, BSM, Hindu Business Line and Autocar India are some of the public avenues that come to mind. I would also suggest a writeup for India Today - it would make hot news as also help in garnering you some justice.

Off topic, i might have to rethink on the Tata Marina if this is how Tata dealerships behave
Old 14th October 2005, 02:51   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balashome
Off topic, i might have to rethink on the Tata Marina if this is how Tata dealerships behave
I would strongly recommend against making decisions based on just one incident. Remember, this is second Tata vehicle of the owners, and there are thounds of Sumos plying on roads. The behaviour of dealer/concerned Tata Motor folks is definitely deplorable, and all guilties must be punished. But, such insensitivities do exist in real world. Then it may be Tata or Fiat or Merc or Honda or Toyota. Just that tolerance level is different for each organization and of each individual involved.
Old 14th October 2005, 09:36   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I just had a conversation with the owner of the car - Meenakshi and Varun Roy - and I am disgusted with Tata Motors....beyond belief. Since the initial days of this car becoming a problem, they have been in touch with several people directly at Tata Motors. However, there has been NO support or service that was offered to them to set the vehicle right.

YES - TATA MOTORS IS TO BLAME FOR THE DEALERSHIPS BEHAVIOR. The only reason that the Roy family was forced to take such a step at a public event was because their pleas were not acknowledged by Tata Motors in the first place.

And many would be surprised to see how much control Tata exercises over their dealerships. The dealership would not have the guts to do something on these lines without letting someone at Tata Motors know well in advance.

Shame on Tata and I want to throw all the brickbats I possibly can on a company I am otherwise very proud of. There is no ways that you can treat your customer in such a shoddy and degrading manner in 2005

This thread is a sticky!

GTO
Old 14th October 2005, 09:40   #45
Senior - BHPian

Nice move GTO. This is indeed shocking. Well, I am beginning to get that sinking feeling that we Indians (read manufacturers) are like this only. :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks