Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2005, 18:35   #91
BHPian

Few pointers....

I own a tata Indica V2 and have been having problems ever since we bought it... I had spoken to the Tata Regional CRO and no effect. I even sent a mail to the customer support office with copies to the local dealer and no one cared to get back to me with answers. I do not think this is an isolated incident... there may be many more customers who are unhappy but have put up with it. shame on Tata's for doing such a thing to the Roys.

Reminds me of a problem I had with my OHC... I had some issues with dashboard rattling etc which was very minor but irritating all the same.... when my local dealer could not fix it, I sent a mail to Honda India through their site and got a response the next business day.... they even followed up to see if my problems were solved and if I was happy with the service. All this hapened when my car was two years old and was out of warranty period. Now, that is what I call customer service... am sure Tatas can learn something there.......

For the Roys, one of my uncles did file a case in the Consumer Court against the poor quality of the Car he bought (t was a while ago, and the car was a Sipani/Montana Diesel).. the case went on for more than a year but finally, the company was directed to pay his money back and that too with a compensation for his mental and physical agony. I can get the details from him if you want....... if there is any way I can help, please let me know.

regards

Sri
Old 4th November 2005, 19:26   #92
Senior - BHPian

Good to see this thread back...

Varun, ACI is Autocar India. They have a column where consumers report grievances much like yours and then they try to help out. You can always ask GTO for details.
Old 4th November 2005, 21:44   #93
Team-BHP Support

Plenty of mails have gone all over. And Varun, you didn't get any reply. Put it straight to ACI. Tata needs a jolt from the right angle.

After talking to you just now, I've my doubts what all repair job they're going to do.
Old 4th November 2005, 23:37   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos
Tata may not have taken it back because the incident never actually went to the manufacturer and remained inside the walls of the dealer. I know incidents where the manufacturer (TATA) have replaced the complete engine and even the car. Though the car maybe a complete lemon, the notorious dealers may be the main criminals behind this act.
Tatas are fully aware of the problems, but pretend to know nothing. Its a ploy they have been using against its helpless customers. Their motto is to keep mum. Dont accept dont deny, let the customer go to court..I have better things to do on my agenda. Keep watching. They promise the heaven orally, but do just the opposite. I am talking about Tatas here and not their dealers. I shall be posting facts and copies of our correspondence, shortly so stay tuned.

Last edited by varunroy : 4th November 2005 at 23:38.
Old 4th November 2005, 23:45   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
From what I understand, all large corporations believe in accountability. Thus, if Tata was to sell a product through its dealers, it is responsible for the behaviour of its dealers. If it can entrust them with crores worth of products, it obviously has some relationship with them. I would hold Tata Motors accountable in all respects. When Manipal/Prerana sell a Tata product, it is with Tata's blessing. Thus, the lemon-pushing and hooligan behaviour is also under the auspices of Tata.
I totally agree with you.
Old 5th November 2005, 00:00   #96
BHPian

[quote=Steeroid]
If this is true, I am ashamed of the country's largest 'indeginous manufacturer' and I hang my head in shame for the respect I have had for this organization in the past.

What is shocking is their indifference. Just imagine that Vahan Yatra happened a month back and Tatas are still contemplating about the repairs to be carried out.

At their meeting on 20th October with us the regional manager, south, promised us that their technicians from the plant would review the matter with us and replace ( not repair) all the necessary parts. We reminded them that this should have been done a year back and not now.

WE demanded a replacement of the defective car immediately. They pleaded for a last chance to fix the problems right. When asked for a written commitment and assurance that these problems would not recur again within one year, they backed out by being non committal on either recording or solving them. SPEAKS VOLUMES ABOUT THEIR CONFIDENCE

Clearly they are buying time.
Old 5th November 2005, 11:15   #97
BANNED

Hi, I think you should engage a lawyer and send a legal notice to TATA Motors, with a copy to their head office. I know it doesn't sound like much, but legal documents can sometimes make them sit up and take notice.
Old 5th November 2005, 15:25   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Varunroy,
I wonder why he backed out of a 1 year agreement that nothing would go wrong with the replaced parts. 1 year is too short a time. I feel you should write to the ACI help line who would be only too pleased to help you and you would get compensation + free replacements of parts and if you can, ask for the standard 2 year warranty cover on the replaced parts.
Consumer court is also an apealing idea if you feel they could have done more even with ACI's help.
Old 5th November 2005, 15:39   #99
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I say push for a replacement. And nothing else.

Consumer courts are extremely pro-consumer, and you have a VERY strong case.

GTO
Old 5th November 2005, 16:13   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
I say push for a replacement. And nothing else.

Consumer courts are extremely pro-consumer, and you have a VERY strong case.

GTO
varunroy, If you have strong evidence (which you do) forget TATA's & go directly for consumer court
Old 5th November 2005, 19:26   #101
Senior - BHPian

I think it is good that Varunroy has given Tata a chance to put things right. But they have missed an opportunity to put things right this whole episode clearly shows what they think about consumers.

With more companies launching in India and with many of them being consumer savvy it will be those that treat customers badly that will lose out.
Old 5th November 2005, 21:01   #102
BANNED

tata motors may u rest in peace forever.
Old 6th November 2005, 22:15   #103
BHPian

[quote=lamborghini]
I wonder why he backed out of a 1 year agreement that nothing would go wrong with the replaced parts. 1 year is too short a time.

Tata backed out coz they knew they're fighting a losing battle. They know that nothing more can be done to this car unless they replace the body shell, chassis, gear-box, engine, steering system, and both front and rear suspension, etc, etc. Did I pay for a new car? The whole car is tilted to the right by 30mm, and they say "its normal".

The car's a lemon, and a sour one at that. The whole world knows it, except Tata. I sent e-mails to more than 10 Tata senior personnel world-wide a week back, not one has bothered to reply.

What is surprising is that their website mentions e-mail IDs of all personnel abroad, but not a SINGLE e-mail ID of any personnel in India.
Old 6th November 2005, 22:38   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the car could have been banged,
take the car to a reputed NON tata garage, cook up some story and ask them to inspect the car for accident damage.
I was saying that if they are putting brand new parts, the new parts should carry the same 2 year warranty as the car.
Old 7th November 2005, 03:30   #105
Team-BHP Support

Consider this ppl

I have been following this thread with lot of interest, from the begining. The whole thing is infuriating to say the least!

While no updates have been posted for last few days I had a query.

Are you ppl aware that if a good number of ppl complain and write to the courts of this country (that includes right upto the supreme court... and consumer courts as well I believe) en masse courts do take a suo moto cognizance of the matter and file it as a PIL. In fact, many a times serious issues (and I ernestly feel this one qualifies) have been taken up by the courts on the writing of a single person as well....

How about forwarding this whole chain of events and the reaction of the ppl on this forum to the National Consumer Redressal Forum to start with?

In fact Mr Roy will not only have a strong case in a consumer forum but also in a regular court of law (how about cheating, breach of trust, violation of contract, etc. etc...)

Think about it guys.... and think about it Mr. Roy.

Last edited by Zappo : 7th November 2005 at 03:37.

Most Viewed