Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2010, 17:36   #661

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by varunroy View Post
The warranty card or the terms and conditions of the warranty are specifically mentioned in the owner's manual in clear terms. ....

.....You are absolutely right on this. When facts are not considered, how can mistakes be accepted.
Fighting court battles till now has caused a crater in my pocket.

So long.....
Hi Varunroy,

Your persistence and courage while fighting this battle is inspiring!!

The so called "justice" dealt out by the legal system and a company that is headed by a man with a reputation for honesty is shocking.

IMHO, the system and corporate conscience in our country is so flawed that cases like this should be dealt with by the actual consumers. We cannot compensate varunroy monetarily but we most certainly can make the company pay - in terms of lost customers and adverse publicity.

I know that when I go for a test drive to the Tata showroom for the much awaited Aria, I will pointedly ask them about the manufacturer's warranty, service assurance, etc.

I will make sure as many prospective Tata customers as I know will get to know about some of the risks by reading this thread.

Does anybody know a reporter in some TV channel that can cover this story?

I actually like and admire Tata a lot because of the image of Ratan Tata and also because of what it has achieved as an Indian company. And that is why this entire episode is so painful. Is Tata's conscience buried so deep that it cannot be awakened?
Old 26th January 2010, 20:40   #662
BHPian

I came across this thread today and read the 661 posts during a matter of 6 hours (with breaks for food ). It pains me to see the treatment meted out to a common man and that too an (erstwhile) loyal customer by Tata (a supposedly proud indian company) and the judicial system (which are supposed to give justice to the common man).

The fact that I read this story on India's 61st republic day really saddens me when I realize that despite 60 years of being a democracy, nothing much has changed for the common man in terms of how he is treated by the "system".

Sorry for going .

Mr Roy, the only way I can contribute is to advise all of my friends and relatives to shun Tata Cars/SUVs and hope that forces them to change their attitude and QC policies and not mete out such a treatment to other Varun Roys in the future.

I guess I can only pray and hope Tata's "Seniormost" Engineer works some magic!!
Old 26th January 2010, 23:16   #663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
I came across this thread today and read the 661 posts during a matter of 6 hours (with breaks for food ). It pains me to see the treatment meted out to a common man and that too an (erstwhile) loyal customer by Tata (a supposedly proud indian company) and the judicial system (which are supposed to give justice to the common man).

The fact that I read this story on India's 61st republic day really saddens me when I realize that despite 60 years of being a democracy, nothing much has changed for the common man in terms of how he is treated by the "system".

Sorry for going .

Mr Roy, the only way I can contribute is to advise all of my friends and relatives to shun Tata Cars/SUVs and hope that forces them to change their attitude and QC policies and not mete out such a treatment to other Varun Roys in the future.

I guess I can only pray and hope Tata's "Seniormost" Engineer works some magic!!
You cannot be so judgemental and say everyone to shun Tata Motors cars and suv. Agreed the treatment meted out is not acceptable, but they are improving their cars *** and quality. Such cases have happened with all the other oems also - remenber the maruti fiasco, or for that matter even an upmarket brand as Skoda....
Old 26th January 2010, 23:30   #664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
This thread just re confirms that the india legal system is of no use to common man PERIOD
Indian legal system is more or less made for Influenced people like politician/high profile/businessmen. Common people or end customer does not have any value.
Old 27th January 2010, 00:07   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant_242 View Post
You cannot be so judgemental and say everyone to shun Tata Motors cars and suv. Agreed the treatment meted out is not acceptable, but they are improving their cars *** and quality. Such cases have happened with all the other oems also - remenber the maruti fiasco, or for that matter even an upmarket brand as Skoda....
Nishant,
Unfortunately, I have neither the patience, money nor time to try and fight a big corporate house for my rights *if* it turns out that the car I buy / recommend is suffering from quality issues. Hence, I'd rather not take a chance till I see less stories in team-bhp about tata cars quality issues. If that seems judgmental, then I am sorry. I'd rather take my chance with some manufacturer who has better quality processes in place and has a good reputation while dealing with customers. So that the chances of me getting into a similar situation are comparatively lesser.

The issue here is not about problems in the car, I agree that this happens with almost all manufacturers once in a while. The issue is the total lack of commitment from the dealer and manufacturer to get to the bottom of the problem and help out the customer. Also, on a different note I have consistently noticed that the first generation vehicle models from tata have lots of quality issues. I dont think that a paying customer should be made to act as a lab rat for their products.

I am not sure about the "maruti fiasco" you are talking about - can you please give some details/provide links so that I can educate myself?

Even if there have been a couple of similar incidents with maruti, overall I perceive that the quality levels on their vehicles are much better. No numbers, but from what I have seen on the forum, most cribs have to do with cheap quality of plastics and rattling which I personally can live with.

With respect to Skoda, the less said the better. The same arrogant attitude from the manufacturer has pushed me away from buying or recommending their products.

In the end each person takes a decision based on certain parameters that he perceives for the manufacturer and dealer. So whats right for one person may not be right for another. So let me add a disclaimer here that this is my personal opinion and dont mean to denigrate/insult any person who holds tata motors in high regard or owns tata vehicles. No offence meant to anyone.
Old 27th January 2010, 06:00   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
I agree. Tata does not seem to care that its reputation has gone down the drain here on Teambhp. What kind of company would treat its customers as badly as Tata?

Currently in India, Skoda, Tata, Audi and Porsche seem to be the worst of the awful customer service lot.
Old 28th January 2010, 21:52   #667
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant_242 View Post

On the lighter side,

Man from Jamshedpur, who else could be expected to be so loyal to Tatas.

Tell me Nishant, if you were ever cheated by some store in a shopping mall and instead of apologizing for their mistake they are discourteous to you, Will you ever visit that place again. Won't you consider it your moral duty to warn your near and dear ones and tell them about your experience.

God bless.....
Old 29th January 2010, 16:20   #668
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
but they are improving their cars
Good! Let us know when it's done!
Old 29th January 2010, 16:46   #669
Senior - BHPian

lolz thats a good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Good! Let us know when it's done!

btw their quality of service we still cant talk much about, infact it compliments the quality of the vehicles
Old 29th January 2010, 20:14   #670
BHPian

An OSCAR for Thad E Ginathom

Quote:
Ginathom;1705772]Good! Let us know when it's done!

You deserve an OSCAR for the best comment of this thread

On the Victa front, there's not a wisper from the Tatas.

So long.....

Last edited by varunroy : 29th January 2010 at 20:30.
Old 29th January 2010, 20:31   #671
Distinguished - BHPian

LOL! Thanks!

An off the cuff, but... I'm all for supporting a company that deserves it, and I'm all for national pride and supporting home industries, but no company should expect its customers to pay lakhs and lakhs while it gets its act and its product together. There is a class of people to do that: they are called investors and share holders and, when the company becomes successful, they are rewarded with profit, not scrap.
Old 30th January 2010, 10:45   #672
BHPian

Sad to hear this judgement tho and im sorry for you Mr roy The indian judiciary has no concern for the indian consumer. Very often we see judments like 5k for mental damages and 10k for legal expenses from the supreme court. It costs more than that per sitting in the supreme court im sure! The awards even if they were 10 times as much would still be very conservative. My dad has also been fighting two cases for the last 15 years( both of which have reached only the high court level so far) and i know what its like. Appreciate your courage
Old 2nd February 2010, 19:53   #673
BHPian

2nd Reminder to Tata Motors.

Since I haven't had any news from Tata Motors regarding the progress made on my car, I have written to them to inform me about the probable date of delivery of our Sumo Victa GX TC. I have almost forgotten the make and model of the car. Also enclosed a copy of The SC's Order.

Sent the letter by Speed Post yesterday apart from faxing a copy to their Regional Office-South at UB City, Bangalore.

Not that I expect them to respond, yet thought, let me do my part.

Its now 2 months since the verdict was out and yet there's absolute silence from their side.

So long.....
Old 3rd February 2010, 10:32   #674
BHPian

@varunroy,
How can they take so much time to repair? They are probably taking cover in the no-time-frame to repair loophole. What happened to the warranty? If all they needed to do was repair, what was the whole point in going to the court since the vehicle was already under warranty and the court just orders repairs? Sheesh. Have you been compensated for the legal expenses? Sorry I couldn't read the court order since the JPG files were not opening.
Old 3rd February 2010, 11:39   #675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunroy View Post
Its now 2 months since the verdict was out and yet there's absolute silence from their side.
Isnt there a implied binding in every court ruling that has to be carried out within X days/weeks?

Most Viewed