Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2008, 21:08   #511
Senior - BHPian

After reading this muh, I really thank god for preventing my friend to go for indica. He is owner of swift now.

TO ALL WHO SAID THAT THIS CASE IS UNIQUE: IF THIS WERE A UNIQUE CASE, THEN IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN SOLVED IN OCTOBER/NOVEMBER 2005.

This is really bad thing to have happened especially to a loyal return customer. People pour hard earned money just to find out that the product is not good in quality.

No wonder, I will take note of this and in future we are planning to buy a car in around october 09, I wont allow anyone to dip in TATA. Recently my uncle is looking for a M800 replacement for city driving. Their Wagon R is also due for replacement in 6months-1year. They decided on Indica V2 Dicor for M800 replacement ( directed by me because they wanted a spacious diesel and Getz will eventually cease ) will now be sent to WagonR/Swift Diesel for M800/WagonR replacements.

Shocking to say the least and anyone can fill in huge post regarding the frustation. It will be really very agonizing for Mr. Varun
Old 29th May 2008, 12:48   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
....Ive been reading all the tata motors threads on this forum, even the new Dicor 2.2 threads. Actually its not the fault of tata motors. Its us. We are a nation of hope. We may have been conned time and again but we still thrive on hope.

....The tata estate ive preserved has rescued me(by reminding me of my mistake) from not buying the indica turbo which was a real hot tempting deal and now the safari 2.2( which in my opinion is another tata experiment in crdi)for which i always had a soft corner.

....i refuse to be a test chimp. Ive promised myself that i wont put up with unproven tech whether its a tv or a car.

I see you bought Tata Safari 2.2 http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...sure-pain.html

Was wondering how did you bring yourself to buy another Tata product (although it fits your need very well).

I personally believe that at some point we tend to overlook customer service / quality if a VFM product is offered.

Last edited by liberal : 29th May 2008 at 12:53.
Old 29th May 2008, 16:52   #513
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Tata buying Jag and Landry is one thing. If they are sensible (and Mr Ratan Tata is an eminently sensible man), they will leave those brands strictly alone and free to build themselves up- those brands as Jeremy Clarkson says, "have soul"- there's a ghost in the machine there, which is why there is such a high emotional connect with their consumers and these brands require a different level of luxury brand management.
Honestly I dont think Tata will interfere too much with or try to control things too much apart from keeping a gentle hand on the throttle.

However, echoing your post, I do hope, for the Indian consumers sake, that a solid amount of knowledge transfer takes place to improve the quality standards and reliability of the current stable of Tata Passenger vehicles. Whatever the various posts on this site may say, in defence of the Tata Safari, Indica and other efforts, somewhere there appears to be the shadowy presence of a doubt-ridden psyche when it comes to reliability, after sales service and this intangible thing called "constant niggles".

For the sake of us consumers, I do hope Tata takes notice of it sooner rather than later.
I for one would love to feel proud to buy and own a Tata vehicle also, the way I am currently proud to buy and own a Mahindra vehicle as of now.
And Im sure a lot of us on this site would agree that its really a fantastic feeling to be able to trust and be loyal to our own Indian companies, based not on blindness or anything but on sheer product satisfaction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tstag View Post
You know some of the problems that TATA motors are having are possibly because they are a relatively young automotive company. If TATA buy JLR they are going to be buying some experience, hopefully JLR engineers and production planners can give TATA motors some good advice going forward in how to make cars that are more reliable. Jag is after all one of the best car brands in the world for reliability nowadays. Jag may be premium and TATA motors not, but when an engine stops working due to poor assembly then that can happen on premium or volume cars...

Last edited by shankar.balan : 29th May 2008 at 16:58.
Old 7th June 2008, 21:01   #514
BHPian

latest update

Hi everybody,

Sorry to keep you all waiting for this update.

On 21.11.2007, Tata Motors were ordered to take back the car and rectify all the defects pointed out by the complainant and make the vehicle in a workable and good condition and road worthy free of cost and to extent the warranty for a period of 6 months fron the date of re-delivery of the car.

I had left the vehicle with Manipal Motors, bangalore, at their airport road workshop on 5th dec,2007 with a list of 29 conplaints in all. The vehicle was delivered to me finally on the 28th Dec, as I had refused to take delivery earlier because no one from Tata Motors was available at the time of test drive prior to delivery. The vehicle that was delivered to me was in a worse condition than before. The GM-Works, who was the co-passenger in the test drive was himself convinced about the bad state of the car, though he did not admit it in open. He then made some unsuccessful attempts in trying to contact some senior person of Tata Motors in my presence. He then suggested that I take delivery of the vehicle, run it for some time and return it to them with all the problems. He also assured me that each and every problem would be settled to my complete satisfaction. Subsequently I took delivery under protest by putting down the conditions in writing in their Jobcard.

Regarding the Warranty issue he gave me a letter on Manipal Motors letterhead, stating that as per court orders the warranty is extended for 6 months. When I reminded him that the dealer has no authority regarding the warranty and that It should come from Tata Motors, he once again assured me that he would ask Tata Motors to courier the document to me.

With each passing day I discovered how badly my vehicle had been mishandled. Most of the major problems were ignored and overlooked by them. The Torque and the Pick-up had dropped to an all time low. The vehicle would stall at the slightest gradient. Parts worth 1.50 lacs were replaced. Engine timing was reset for endless number of times. They had used Bardhl Engine treatment to improve its perfomance. The interiors were damaged, seats & carpets messed up, body dented and scratched. I was heart broken but yet not beaten. Needless to say , I would dread taking out the vehicle on city roads. Also there was no news about the extended warranty.

Finally after an endless wait to hear from either Manipal Motors or Tata motors I decided to dump the vehicle at their workshop on 29th May,2008 after running the car for about 600 kms. Of the 29 original complaints 22 of them remained unattended. Another 19 new problems cropped up because of their poor workmanship. This time I told the GM that before they take up the repairs I would like the Tata Guys to take the test drive with me. I received a call from him ( only after sending him an e-mail )asking me to come on the 6th of June for the test drive. The test drive was taken in the presence of Mr. Senior Manager -Customer Support, Mr GET- Customer support of Tata Motors. Mr. GM-works and Service Manger of Manipal Motors. All the problems and defects were brought to their notice. They seemed to understand these glaring defects and assured me that things would be set right . I reminded them that it has taken them even 4 years has not been enough to set these problems right. Looks like a whole new set of replacements are in the offing.

The only consolation is that Now it has been established that the vehicle is defective and Tata Motors have agreed to set it right which they had been denying all this while.

My apologies once again for the delay as the whole thing has left me totally sapped.

So long....
Old 7th June 2008, 21:22   #515
Senior - BHPian

Varun,

You are fighting one long battle. Great to see the determination from you side.

Now, since the problems have been acknowledged, I do hope you get the vehicle back as it was supposed to be.

All the best!
Old 7th June 2008, 21:24   #516
BHPian

OMG ! pathetic man they could have gone for replacement but anyways still your efforts have reaped fruits. All the best and really these guys need to take in for a spin.
Old 7th June 2008, 21:27   #517
Senior - BHPian

Do NOT take the delivery again, if you are not satisfied with the test drive, period.
Old 7th June 2008, 21:31   #518
Senior - BHPian

Why not just sell off the silly thing and get on with life?!

This battle is a waste of your precious time.

TATA rules!
Old 7th June 2008, 21:46   #519
BHPian

Given the trauma gifted to you along with the vehicle, Tata could least give a Sumo grande in replacement.

Too much to ask from an Heartless Indian MNC to deliver in India!!

I am touched with your determination to fight it out, things made worse with delays at all fronts where most would give up.
Old 7th June 2008, 22:01   #520
Senior - BHPian

Varun, hats off to you!
You are doing something that most of us would not have had the energy for! Thanks, and may you emerge victorious!
Old 7th June 2008, 22:21   #521
BHPian

Appreciate your courage Varun. Takes guts to do what you're doing.
Old 7th June 2008, 22:32   #522
Senior - BHPian

i have also faced maintainence issues with my TATA vehicles, but this one was the limit. dint expect this from a reputed company like TATA. TATAs have successfully managed to increase my hatred for their vehicles.
Old 7th June 2008, 22:33   #523
Senior - BHPian

@Varun:

I am surprised that you are not giving up and your determination, as others have pointed out, is mind boggling.
No wonder, you are not in position to give updates.

You are not given a replacement for the vehicle speaks volumes about the laws and courts. What now favours is that its proven that vehicle is bad.

Never expected this from tata.

I seriously hope that this time they sort out the things.

When not given proper service and a defective spirit in Feb 2000, we were unhappy. So its quite unhappy experience that you are getting this treatment after being return customers.

Best of luck is all I can say. Keep us posted.
Old 7th June 2008, 22:38   #524
BHPian

Wish me luck too.

Guys please pray for me too as my Junkindica is going to be dissected and face the courts on the 24th of June and then again on the 30th of June. This case was filed in the year 2001 and its still in the district forum. Another 6 years to go according to a few lawyers.

Varun the very best of luck to you in proving that the TATA's treat Indians as guinea pigs.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 7th June 2008 at 22:40.
Old 7th June 2008, 22:45   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Guys please pray for me too as my Junkindica is going to be dissected and face the courts on the 24th of June and then again on the 30th of June. This case was filed in the year 2001 and its still in the district forum. Another 6 years to go according to a few lawyers.

Varun the very best of luck to you in proving that the TATA's treat Indians as guinea pigs.

Its shocking and one more incidence of giving a bad product.
You are still fighting like the thread starter.!

Great determination! Its something we can learn and actually apply in our life apart from automobiles also.

Most Viewed