Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2008, 00:07   #526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunroy View Post
He then suggested that I take delivery of the vehicle, run it for some time and return it to them with all the problems. He also assured me that each and every problem would be settled to my complete satisfaction. Subsequently I took delivery under protest by putting down the conditions in writing in their Jobcard.
I don't understand the problem with TATA MOTORS A.S.S. as this seems to be a common practice. They never accepted my genuine claims of parts under warranty (like rear suspension noise/ fuel pump).All they used to do is to just do Anti-stall setting on reporting jerking during acceleration. Just got my Indica V2 DLS Fuel pump calibrated from Fortune Cars Thane(W), as the car wouldn't start without throttle. So got that done, they charged with around 8.5k for they job, and within 500 km engine hunting noise started (without ac), when I went to them, they just reduced the engine rpm, now after that engine hunting sound started in ac. again They never send it back to Lucas - where they got the fuel pump calibration done.
Everytime you go to these service centre they do this " Thook- Patti" kaam and say CHALAOO. I don't understand their attitude- they never are able to fix the problem!
Old 8th June 2008, 08:40   #527
Senior - BHPian

hi Varun, Happy to see you are still here with us. What ever happens - Your example is one glaring defect in the face of TATA. Hope never to hear such stories again.
Old 8th June 2008, 09:20   #528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal View Post
I see you bought Tata Safari 2.2 http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...sure-pain.html

Was wondering how did you bring yourself to buy another Tata product (although it fits your need very well).

I personally believe that at some point we tend to overlook customer service / quality if a VFM product is offered.
It called rationality buddy and it goes like this: I am used to large amounts of space and therefore a hatch is ruled out. I do not like the low seating of a hatch or sedan either... I mean the ingress egress issues too. Then comes the driving style. Since the time i started driving ive always ignored road conditions to the best abilities of the vehicle. When i set out to buy a vehicle with my budget, there was nothing else in the market that would fulfill my requierments with 4x4. Therefore considering that the safari being around for over a decade & the 2.2 has been around for almost a year and having TML being sorting most of the issues out, i decided to take the plunge. In all honesty, im no brand fan. Anything will do as long as it suits my purpose.
If the fortuner was around i wouldve stretched my budget for a fortuner because i Know what a toyota is, i use one. But i wouldnt bet a penny on a ford endeavour(poor ride, service,etc) and the other softroaders sold in India cannot stand abuse. I mean trust me, the quality & qc issues aside, you can beat the **** out of a safari unlike any other Indian suv.

So i dont think i ended up as a TML test chimp in IMO the safari seems to be fairly tried & tested.
However you are entitled to your views.

And yes you are right. I feel the safari is VFM and the service hasnt disappointed me yet.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 8th June 2008 at 09:24.
Old 8th June 2008, 10:08   #529
Senior - BHPian

Wow Varun, you are a fighter! trust me i would have burnt off long time back! keep it it going..

Sad to know that still the issues are not fixed! am sure even though if it is you wont be enjoying the machine anymore...

If everyone fought the way you are, am sure all the companies would be getting more serious about there products!

Keep it going buddy.....hope you be rewarded with a "Pajero" for all the effort/pain you have gone through
Old 9th June 2008, 01:26   #530
Distinguished - BHPian

It is a failure of the law and the courts that you were not awarded the choice between a full refund of the purchase price and any other expences, or a brand-new car. They have, after all, amply demonstrated their inability to put this vehicle in good order; if they could not do so before, how can they do so in the future?

It is a management failure of Tata not to see that they might as well offer you the same: surely it can hardly cost them much more at this stage to continue what looks like a never-ending problem.

Heck... keep this going for long enough, and you might even get a RangeRover out of them! Wouldn't that be nice

Thank you for coming back with the update, and please continue the installments. I wish, for you, that the story will be over soon, but it looks like it might run a while.
Old 9th June 2008, 10:22   #531
BHPian

Good Luck Varun! Its so encouraging and inspiring to see your determination. Such instances later become precedence and helps courts in giving rulings and judgements. Someon has to bell the cat and its you who is doing it.

Good Luck to you too Drpullockaran and now after reading the progress in Varun's case, we are sure you will be more determined to take it to a logical end.
Old 9th June 2008, 12:06   #532
BHPian

Varun:

Am thrilled to know that you had the courage and persistence to fight till the end - may not have helped you much (probably like you say, sapped you) but you have done a great favor to all those who will buy cars in the future - TATA Motors and Manipal are not likely to forget the incident anytime soon.

I had a similar though on a much smaller scale of forgery of registration to palm off a defective Octavia Combi - now I learn they have become extra careful and follow procedures at the dealer (the earlier GM was asked to leave)

Congrats and your incident is an inspiration to all car owners

Warm regards,
Old 9th June 2008, 18:37   #533
BHPian

@jaysmokesleaves - No offence man, not doubting your choice of vehicle.

Was just trying to understand how come you went with TATA (brand) inspite of having strong view against it http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post672037.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
In all honesty, im no brand fan. Anything will do as long as it suits my purpose.
Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by liberal : 9th June 2008 at 18:39.
Old 9th June 2008, 22:00   #534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal View Post
@jaysmokesleaves - No offence man, not doubting your choice of vehicle.

Was just trying to understand how come you went with TATA (brand) inspite of having strong view against it http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post672037.

Thanks for sharing.
No offence taken sir! Lifes too short for wasting time on that. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to clarify my stand. cheers:
Old 10th June 2008, 13:42   #535
SUV
BHPian

hmm .. What I dont understand is why are Tata's asking you to leave it in Manipal Motors ?? .....Inspite of their past shoddy service .... something fishy here ...
Old 10th June 2008, 14:19   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV View Post
hmm .. What I dont understand is why are Tata's asking you to leave it in Manipal Motors ?? .....Inspite of their past shoddy service .... something fishy here ...
Can't get the logic. Can you elaborate ?

God bless.....
Old 10th June 2008, 14:49   #537
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV
@ Soccer :Guess you have not read the thread in Full .....

What i meant was - The Sumo in Q has seen Manipal Motors umpteen number of times .... (like the recent repair) the outcome being the same each and every time...

When its a known fact that Manipal is not competent enough to fix these issues (atleas for this vehicle) why are Tata's asking / sending it back thr again nd again, there are 2 more service center's in BLR to fix such issues as well.

Think its time the Sumo see's another TASS ...... And gets a complete makeover !!
Old 10th June 2008, 19:44   #538
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the good wishes, encouragement and the pep up.

SUV, you forget that Manipal Motors are OP3 (opposite party) in this case. Tata Motors being OP1 and Bangalore RO OP2. Besides, there's nothing much that the dealer can do. Its the quality of the spares that let us down. The entire Job is being handled by The Tata Engineers directly. Infact MM is working like a Robot with the controls in TM's hands. Moreover, I personally feel that MM are far superior in their outlook. I have seen all the TASS in bangalore and few other places as well and would still recommend MM. I have no hang ups with MM and prefer the known devil any day.

And don't forget they are the No. 1 workshop in India for Tata Motors.

So long....
Old 10th June 2008, 20:43   #539
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunroy View Post
... Besides, there's nothing much that the dealer can do. Its the quality of the spares that let us down. T

So long....
This is the point, Workshop guys who are working on Tata vehicles would tell you this. How much ever you try to fix it, problem re-appears. In my case at least two close sources with solid experience in Tata vehicles discouraged me buying a Tata due to the same reason. This was two years ago, but from these forums I understand that things have changed, many Tata owners vouch for the Tata quality on these forums.
Old 10th June 2008, 22:19   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
I understand that things have changed, many Tata owners vouch for the Tata quality on these forums.
Those are the lucky few or people who don't use there machine the way they are ment to be. You can't blame bad roads for suspension problem for what is claimed to be an an Off-roader within 2000 Kms. I know a guy who has owned a safari for 3 years and done just 20K on the odo. He is regular member at the TASS with some issue or the other and yet sings songs about Tata Quality for the simple fact that nobody should take him for a s****r.

A brand new 2.2 dropped dead within a fortnight of purchase. The dazed Customer was told the fuel was adulterated. This heavy weight got his gang and beat up the fuel station guys. He even broke an attenders arm. The Gas Station owner agreed to pay all the damages to this customer. TASS stuggled with their laptops to reset the ECU for over a week and then habitually started replacing parts systematically to get the thing started and when nothing happened they replaced the engine under warranty. Everytime I go to their workshop, which is quite often, I see a safari engine being replaced under warranty.

Why else would they offer you a chance to win a Safari on a purchase of Victa or a DI. (Coutersy Tata Ad on Neo Sport)

So long....

Most Viewed