Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2010, 11:00   #241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
Carwale has posted an in-detail road test on Yeti. Those who are interested can check this out on the research section. The interior quality is superb from those pics (the reviewer also stated the same). Only thing is the price that may deter public on acquiring this.
The mod, .anshuman, was slightly off on the price number. He predicted 16L ex-showroom delhi in a post below here. But, Carwale reported that it will be little of 20L as it is a complete CKD unit.
Carwale report is very ordinary and doesn't tell anything new. It is a typical report collated by journalists. I was shocked to see remarks like 'GC is the same as Laura'. Of, course the report has some nice pictures.
Old 17th September 2010, 11:49   #242
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Skoda Yeti has a GC of 180mm. Same as the Scorpio.

I think 180mm is pretty ok for most situations which one comes across in daily life.

Of course it wont be enough to go rock crawling and so on, but 180mm is pretty good overall.

The Yeti can be expected to be a little lighter than the Scorpio, and owing to its compact proportions and lower stance/ height, is bound to be infinitely more maneuverable and much more fun to drive with its 140BHP power output!

Only trouble is the price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I was shocked to see remarks like 'GC is the same as Laura'. Of, course the report has some nice pictures.
Old 17th September 2010, 12:21   #243
BANNED

Add road presence to the list. Also, the carwale clearly states that the 4WD system in the Yeti is more of an automatic/AWD which transfers power to the front or the rear axles depending upon the requirement and the sensor feedback.

So, it appears to more of a softroader than a pure SUV. Though its capabilities have impressed a lot of people even in this version.
Old 17th September 2010, 13:49   #244
BANNED

yes there is no doubt about it being more of a softroader than a pure hard core off road type vehicle. however that haldex 4wd unit seems to have a number of very good reports about it.

I read another article about the Yeti in Top Gear or some other magazine a few months ago where they had taken the Yeti up to Pike's Peak in America. And the test driver spoke very highly indeed about the Yeti's abilities in the mud road and semi off road departments.

I still somehow think that it could easily outshine other competition such as the CR V, Captiva, Outlander etc.

Keenly awaiting news of final launch date and final on road pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Add road presence to the list. Also, the carwale clearly states that the 4WD system in the Yeti is more of an automatic/AWD which transfers power to the front or the rear axles depending upon the requirement and the sensor feedback.

So, it appears to more of a softroader than a pure SUV. Though its capabilities have impressed a lot of people even in this version.
Old 18th September 2010, 00:07   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

I still somehow think that it could easily outshine other competition such as the CR V, Captiva, Outlander etc.
may not be able to outshine the Outlander as Outlander has 4X4 lock and higher GC (at 210 mm against 180 of Yeti) which Yeti lacks. Outlander's traction control system is also very advanced.
Old 19th September 2010, 13:16   #246
SCH
BHPian

As per NDTV : Car and bike show the likely price of top end model Elegante is 15.5 lakhs and Lower end model Ambience is 14 lakhs.

If this comes out to be true then i gather it is quite competitive pricing.
Old 19th September 2010, 14:19   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
As per NDTV : Car and bike show the likely price of top end model Elegante is 15.5 lakhs and Lower end model Ambience is 14 lakhs.

If this comes out to be true then i gather it is quite competitive pricing.
I agree with you on this, most of the future Scorpio & safari buyers will shift to Yeti.. it is competitive price and there isnt much of competition in this price range, if this news is correct Skoda sure has winner in their kitty. i can say this confidently as i am myself planning to but Safari VX, i would surely want to wait and buy Yeti
Old 19th September 2010, 15:43   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixz16 View Post
I agree with you on this, most of the future Scorpio & safari buyers will shift to Yeti.. it is competitive price and there isnt much of competition in this price range,

If this news is correct Skoda sure has winner in their kitty. i can say this confidently as i am myself planning to but Safari VX, i would surely want to wait and buy Yeti
I disagree with you here, let me state reasons why traditional SUV buyers may not like the Yeti.

With 4223mm length and 1691mm height the Yeti does not have the street presence most Indians desire in a SUV. Its more of like a big Hatchback on steeroids. Even all of the softroaders including GV and Captiva are much bigger. The proper SUV's like Safari, Scorpio, Endeavour and Fortuner are in a different league altogether with huge dimensions.

Plus the ability to seat just 5 people might also prove to be a disadvantage.

But expect class best dynamics from the Skoda Yeti. If you loved the Forester's dynamics, you may find the Yeti very satisfying to drive.
Old 19th September 2010, 18:24   #249
BHPian

The car and bike show on the NDTV 24/7 says that Skoda Yeti is likely to be priced between 14 lakhs and 15.5 lakhs. If the pricing is close to what has been stated Skoda could sell reasonable numbers. However if the pricing is less than what has been speculated by the car and bike show than it might sell like hot cakes and have a long waiting list like the fortuner has. So hope that Skoda acts wisely on the pricing.
However the cost of regular service and maintenance also plays a vital role in this price bracket. If it offers a service interval of 15k kms or more it would be good. As most opine on this forum people dont like to go to Skoda service often. Since it would be a ckd the spares might also be expensive.

Last edited by patil : 19th September 2010 at 18:28.
Old 19th September 2010, 19:43   #250
BANNED

If the Skoda Yeti comes in to the market at 15 ish ON ROAD it is worth buying like a shot. But I for one would be very pleasantly surprised if it does indeed come in at this kind of price.

many current Scorp and Safari owners will certainly upgrade and potential buyers of Scorp and Safari will be lured away by the SKODA.

Yet, lets remember that the Skoda Yeti will be much smaller than the abover 2 named. Also the parts and servicing costs are likely to be far higher than typically they are on a Mahindra and/or Tata.
Old 19th September 2010, 20:17   #251
oss
BHPian

Quote:
If the Skoda Yeti comes in to the market at 15 ish ON ROAD it is worth buying like a shot. But I for one would be very pleasantly surprised if it does indeed come in at this kind of price.

many current Scorp and Safari owners will certainly upgrade and potential buyers of Scorp and Safari will be lured away by the SKODA.

Yet, lets remember that the Skoda Yeti will be much smaller than the abover 2 named. Also the parts and servicing costs are likely to be far higher than typically they are on a Mahindra and/or Tata.
A sizeable portion of the current Scorpio & Safari owners (read Ward councellor, corporators, etc) don't fall in the Yeti category. Primary requirement for that class is road presence and 7 seater capability. It's the true offroaders and those looking for refinement will go for Yeti.
Old 19th September 2010, 20:40   #252
iamrudyani

14 - 15 Lak should be good pricing, but feel it would retail for more than that.

Old 19th September 2010, 20:57   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I read another article about the Yeti in Top Gear or some other magazine a few months ago where they had taken the Yeti up to Pike's Peak in America. And the test driver spoke very highly indeed about the Yeti's abilities in the mud road and semi off road departments.

Keenly awaiting news of final launch date and final on road pricing.
You can take even an rear wheel sports car up to Pikes Peak ! I have taken my Miata up many times.
Old 20th September 2010, 00:08   #254
Team-BHP Support

As per the show I think 14 and 15.5 is the EX-Show room and not OTR price.
Even in that case its worth it.

The other thing they pointed out is that even the Ambiente version is pretty much loaded.
One may not need the Elegence version. Which has more cosmetic changes in terms a bigger LCD screen etc.
(They have more Airbags as well).

But for all practical purpose Ambiente would do the job.

If this pricing works, it would be really good.
Old 20th September 2010, 07:03   #255
BANNED

@oss - yes agreed. but private individual buyers would give it serious consideration in my opinion.
@iamrudyani - 15 OTR looks un-achievable given the Yeti's pricing abroad and the fact that it is being imported as of now.
@srishiva - interesting fact about the rear wheel drive sports car!
@ampere- yes considering both versions are in 4WD the ambiente would do the job quite well for a buyer wishing to knock off some frills and save some cash.

wish they would announce the pricing officially and soon - all this speculation is fine, but it would be nice to get it direct from the "horse's mouth" so to say!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks