Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2010, 08:08   #256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
You can take even an rear wheel sports car up to Pikes Peak ! I have taken my Miata up many times.
The pikes peak road is accessible to all type of cars! Even FWD
Old 20th September 2010, 08:26   #257
BHPian

NDTV vedio also says 168 BHP for Yeti. Different tuning than the 140 BHP engines available in other Skodas.
Old 20th September 2010, 10:37   #258
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fi.robin View Post
NDTV vedio also says 168 BHP for Yeti. Different tuning than the 140 BHP engines available in other Skodas.
Yes that was another revelation. For folks who missed the show, they can take a look at the NDTV official site. Tubaah: Home Page

Search for car and bike show. All the episodes are archived (And without any breaks!)
Old 20th September 2010, 11:31   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yes that was another revelation. For folks who missed the show, they can take a look at the NDTV official site. Tubaah: Home Page
The output figures are indeed a revelation! If they are correct, and the pricing matches up, then we might be onto something here. This seems to be what is driving this model: 2.0 R4 16v TDI CR 81-132kW

125 kilowatts (170 PS; 168 bhp) @ 4,200 rpm; 350 newton metres (258 ft·lbf) @ 1,750-2,500 rpm.

I for one am now seriously considering this given that i was almost committed to getting the existing Jetta even when a new (but horribly cheapened) one seems to be on the horizon.

But given spec vs cost for the Yeti, plus my need to cart dog and baggage to other states and back fairly often, I think this is going to meet my bill to a T. Beats having to do the same in a Jetta, or in a Polo. Right now I do it in a Palio!

The Skoda Yeti might yet prove to be a thinking man's VW.
Old 20th September 2010, 11:36   #260
Team-BHP Support

If that pricing holds true, imagine what can happen to Yeti 1.2TSI! That would be even lower. Would beat CRV and the likes.
Old 20th September 2010, 12:18   #261
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

the absolute top spec 4x4 Yeti shoots out 170 BHP from a 2 litre TDI CR engine. This costs about 23000 GBP in the UK. I for one, would be a bit skeptical about this spec coming to India priced around 15-16 lacs.

I would be more inclined to believe that we will get the 2 litre TDI - 140BHP Yeti with 4x4 which will get ON ROAD BLR at about 19-20 lacs or so.

Most definitely this Skoda has the potential to become the "thinking man's SUV and in particular a thinking INDIAN's VW".

But it is worth remembering that given the Yeti's overall proportions, the boot size when the rear seat is up, will not be very much at all. However, it does definitely become significant in tersm of space if the rear seats are down.

Yet, this will be a real pleasure to own if ones predominant usage is In City with a bit of Weekending thrown in. I m sure the various lovely accessories that will be available when this vehicle is launched, can motivate the weekend out of town trips but at a price - im sure that those nice Skoda accessories are going to be expensive too.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 20th September 2010 at 12:24.
Old 20th September 2010, 12:24   #262
Senior - BHPian

I saw a golden coloured yeti this morning, while on the way to work. The car looks good in the flesh and it is almost the size of an innova.
Old 20th September 2010, 15:27   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
it is almost the size of an innova.
Are you sure? Yeti is 4223mm in length while Innova is 4580mm. Height-wise, Yeti's 1691mm is comparable to Innova's 1755mm.

There is a first drive report available at carwale.
Old 20th September 2010, 16:18   #264
BANNED

the carwale report and the reports in autocar and what car - all pretty much say similar things.

im surprised the Skoda company's India PR machinery hasnt yet kicked in with any information comments etc etc - especially considering the launch plans for October or Diwali/November 2010!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
There is a first drive report available at carwale.
Old 20th September 2010, 17:22   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
the carwale report and the reports in autocar and what car - all pretty much say similar things.

im surprised the Skoda company's India PR machinery hasnt yet kicked in with any information comments etc etc - especially considering the launch plans for October or Diwali/November 2010!
One thing I am really not able to understand is, does it have a lockable 4X4.
All reports say that 'it is a full time AWD with 95% of the torque going to front wheels until a slip is detected, where it can split and send the torque to rear wheels, driver doesn't have control the 4X4 system' etc etc. But somewhere in the report, they also write about the 'electronic differential lock'.
Simple question is 'is there a knob/button' for this lock?
Or does the lock gets engaged when you put it to 'off road' mode?
Old 20th September 2010, 21:40   #266
BANNED

guna - whenever the blessed thing gets launched here in bangalore lets you and me make a plan and TD it - what say?
then we can fiddle with its machinery as much as possible and get to understand it properly.
there's way too much info on one hand and speculation as well and way too little real info on the other as of now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
All reports say that 'it is a full time AWD with 95% of the torque going to front wheels until a slip is detected, where it can split and send the torque to rear wheels, driver doesn't have control the 4X4 system' etc etc. But somewhere in the report, they also write about the 'electronic differential lock'.
Old 20th September 2010, 22:44   #267
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I remember reading about an offroad button in the Yeti, not in any of our car magazines, but somewhere else. This is possibly what you are talking about.

Also the Yeti's Haldex 4x4 system can send upto 95% of the power to the rear wheels too if needed. Same 4x4 system as the superb V6.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 20th September 2010 at 22:45.
Old 20th September 2010, 22:58   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
guna - whenever the blessed thing gets launched here in bangalore lets you and me make a plan and TD it - what say?
then we can fiddle with its machinery as much as possible and get to understand it properly.
I agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I remember reading about an offroad button in the Yeti, not in any of our car magazines, but somewhere else. This is possibly what you are talking about.
That is right. But the 'off-road' button, unlike the '4X4' lock, will activate array of other settings like softening the throttle response. It is still not clear if this button also enables the differential locking.
Old 21st September 2010, 10:43   #269
BHPian

Quote:
It is still not clear if this button also enables the differential locking.
Haldex clutch > 4MOTION > Powertrain > Innovation > Experience > Volkswagen International Homepage

Should explain how the Haldex clutch works. As such, it looks like it is the electronics that do the work of kicking in and distributing drive. There is no user input. The off -road mode represents a number of functions such as the hill descent assistant or start-up assistant, the adaptation of the ABS, ASR and EDS electronic systems to the driving conditions and a more sensitive accelerator configuration.
Even if you dont toggle the button and hit a patch that requires torque to all four corners, the Haldex should take care of it. You wont have to "lock a diff".
Basically an intelligent 4wd system that kicks in when required.

Last edited by crackingride : 21st September 2010 at 10:55.
Old 21st September 2010, 10:48   #270
BANNED

great input cracking ride.

I wonder how this auto haldex 4WD will behave if one takes the Yeti up the hills in the monsoon season onto kutcha roads which are overgrown with grass. wet grass + mud can easily trigger off a vehicle slide which is why even in the old jeeps one tried as far as possible to avoid such conditions. very tricky indeed.
any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
Haldex clutch > 4MOTION > Powertrain > Innovation > Experience > Volkswagen International Homepage

Should explain how the Haldex clutch works. As such, it looks like it is the electronics that do the work of kicking in and distributing drive. There is no user input. The The off -road mode represents a number of functions such as the hill descent assistant or start-up assistant, the adaptation of the ABS, ASR and EDS electronic systems to the driving conditions and a more sensitive accelerator configuration.
Even if you dont toggle the button and hit a patch that requires torque to all four corners, the Haldex should take care of it. You wont have to "lock a diff".
Basically an intelligent 4wd system that kicks in when required.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks