Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2010, 14:19   #1
BHPian

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV

I'm sure everybody has heard about the Yeti setting its foot print in India, I mean the soon to be launched Skoda Yeti. But then everyone is definitely not sure about when it is to be launched? or that matter the price?

I have been behind this elusive Yeti for sometime now and have got some information from one of the dealer in Delhi, who is part of the pre-launch campaign of Yeti in India. They say that the bookings are opened! Incredible but then i guess they have already started doing so. Though i'm not sure on the modalities. According to them, the Yeti delivery would begin from sometime in October 2010.

Now the most interesting bit came in when i probed further on the pricing and the variant which is being launched. The indian roads would get a taste of the 2.0 litre diesel variant, guess like the past Skoda plans to launch one variant at a time. The price what he told me would be around 17 lakhs (ex-showrrom Delhi).

Since it has come from a dealer and that too when the Yeti is in its pre-launch phase my brains tells me to believe him but my heart says no because if the pricing is around 17 lakhs and that would be really disappointed considering that this could have been a real challenge to the so called economical SUV segment! I also wonder leaving the Toyota Fortuner (with a 3.0 litre engine) why would anyone for that fact go for this slovenian beast.

Thats what i heard and thought of passing through. So my Team-BHP bretheren, has anyone heard anything similar through some birdy out there? Need to really substantiate this.

Last edited by urban_legend : 29th April 2010 at 14:22.
Old 29th April 2010, 14:32   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_legend View Post
Now the most interesting bit came in when i probed further on the pricing and the variant which is being launched. The indian roads would get a taste of the 2.0 litre diesel variant, guess like the past Skoda plans to launch one variant at a time. The price what he told me would be around 17 lakhs (ex-showrrom Delhi).

Since it has come from a dealer and that too when the Yeti is in its pre-launch phase my brains tells me to believe him but my heart says no because if the pricing is around 17 lakhs and that would be really disappointed considering that this could have been a real challenge to the so called economical SUV segment! I also wonder leaving the Toyota Fortuner (with a 3.0 litre engine) why would anyone for that fact go for this slovenian beast.
Its very disappointing that YETI is comming with this tinny engine and high price tag.

yes you are right. If the Yeti comes with 2.0 ltr and priced above 17 lac then any one can choose CAPTIVA / FORTUNER anyday.

As the horror A*S*S story well known to everyone. So CAPTIVA / FORTUNER are good options other then Yeti.

For me i will choose GM / TOYOTA / HONDA against YETI anyday.

Last edited by KALINGA : 29th April 2010 at 14:41.
Old 29th April 2010, 14:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Indeed such a tiny engine and higher price,doesnt make sense for Skoda to sell Yeti in promising numbers.
Old 29th April 2010, 14:37   #4
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice input on the princing. It of course is to be expected that the Diesel 2.0 ltrs version with features like the Laura would be price like the Laura 2.0 lts version. So 17L is par for the course for what they offer. Will it sell? Don't know it would be the cheapest SUV softroader - compared to the Captiva, CRV, Outlander etc, and should take away that market completely at 17L.

It is not exactly an alternative to the Fortuner / Endy / Pajero etc 7 Seater Ladder Frame SUV's.

The 2.0 Ltrs Diesel has a 140 bhp output and on a power to wt ration has more power / tone than the Fortuner and the Endy both.

Last edited by ACM : 29th April 2010 at 14:38.
Old 29th April 2010, 14:41   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Yes - I have also heard similar stuff.

The dealers say that their staff have been taken for product training etc and that we can expect the Yeti to hit the shelves by August/September. But ask them for any further information and they have very little.

Dealers take on the price speculation bit (atleast from what I have heard myself). Looks like the top end Yeti with the 2 litre engine, 4WD and all other bells and whistles like hill descent control etc will be around the 17/18 lacs ex showroom price which means that by the time it gets on the road in Bangalore it will be nothing less than the 21/22 mark.

Thats expensive for its size and practicality value in comparison to the Fortuner. I guess this is possible because this will be a CBU with huge amounts of customs duties etc payable, all of which go to make it so expensive.

I wonder though if there is likely to be any other version with a smaller petrol engine so that one variant atleast can be kept at a lower price. Not sure how many takers there would be for such a variant though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_legend View Post
I'm sure everybody has heard about the Yeti setting its foot print in India, I mean the soon to be launched Skoda Yeti. But then everyone is definitely not sure about when it is to be launched? or that matter the price?

I have been behind this elusive Yeti for sometime now and have got some information from one of the dealer in Delhi, who is part of the pre-launch campaign of Yeti in India. They say that the bookings are opened! Incredible but then i guess they have already started doing so. Though i'm not sure on the modalities. According to them, the Yeti delivery would begin from sometime in October 2010.

Thats what i heard and thought of passing through. So my Team-BHP bretheren, has anyone heard anything similar through some birdy out there? Need to really substantiate this.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 29th April 2010 at 14:43.
Old 29th April 2010, 14:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

They are showcasing the Yeti in Delhi starting today @ Arshia Motors, Connaught Place Showroom.
Old 29th April 2010, 14:57   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

It is not exactly an alternative to the Fortuner / Endy / Pajero etc 7 Seater Ladder Frame SUV's.

The 2.0 Ltrs Diesel has a 140 bhp output and on a power to wt ration has more power / tone than the Fortuner and the Endy both.

ACM@ Its definitely not a alternative to a fortuner and the rest of those, but then i might have a Fortuner or that of a Endeavour than a Skoda softroader.

It has defintiely come as a disappointment with the 2.0L launch. I was expecting the 1.2L petrol through which Skoda could have atleast played a little aggressive on the pricing front and made the competition sweat a little bit!

Skoda's kept its past track record intact i.e. of a cautious starter. But guess thats Skoda!
Old 29th April 2010, 15:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I wonder though if there is likely to be any other version with a smaller petrol engine so that one variant atleast can be kept at a lower price. Not sure how many takers there would be for such a variant though.
1.2L petrol variant would have been an ideal candidate for that and I'm sure the eagerly waiting crossover SUV audience would have lapped it up!

Last edited by urban_legend : 29th April 2010 at 15:01.
Old 29th April 2010, 15:06   #9
BHPian

I saw one in Mysore today, probably under test by Bosch.
Attaching the picture.
Sorry couldn't take a picture of the front.

rgds
-Sathya

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-yati1.jpg

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-yati_2.jpg
Old 29th April 2010, 15:07   #10
Team-BHP Support

As I have been harping before, 1.2L petrol will not happen till some Skoda/VW small car
(Fabia/Golf etc) comes up to India for that engine.

Thats the only time we will see the Yeti petrol.

17L is definitely costly for a 2L engine. Should have been ideal for a 16 OTR for the highest end.

Last edited by ampere : 29th April 2010 at 15:08.
Old 29th April 2010, 15:19   #11
BANNED

good scoop sathyagith!
what is your impression of the proportions and size of the Yeti - say in comparison with other SUV's, like the Captiva, X Trail, Scorpio or CRV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathyagith View Post
I saw one in Mysore today, probably under test by Bosch.
Attaching the picture.
Sorry couldn't take a picture of the front.

rgds
-Sathya

Attachment 339978

Attachment 339979
Old 29th April 2010, 15:25   #12
SCH
BHPian

In one of the programs on TV CNBC 18. The Skoda official was comparing the Yeti with Laura with added benefits of a SUV. He was also saying that the Yeti would be close to Laura price range. I guess the 2.0 litres Diesel would be around 17 lakhs. Skoda also have a 1.2 and 1.8 litre petrol engine for Yeti in Uk. I doubt they would bring the 1.8 but 1.2 can be expected at a later date. It would definatlely be 2.0 litres Diesel engine which they would launch initially.
Old 29th April 2010, 15:40   #13
BHPian

for a small SUV like Yeti i think 17 laks is too much. Diesel Tucon is costing 15-16 laks which in size may be slightly bigger than Yeti.In that case Fortuner or the new Mitsubishi will be value for money.

Wish TATA bring a SUV of the same size for the janatha at 5-6 lakhs ?
Old 29th April 2010, 15:44   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
good scoop sathyagith!
what is your impression of the proportions and size of the Yeti - say in comparison with other SUV's, like the Captiva, X Trail, Scorpio or CRV?
Looks small in these pics!

The M800 (even the bike) on the side is a comparison. Doesn't have the road presence of - say Fortuner or Endy. Not a good thing for sales IMO! (Most SUVs i see here in Chennai have a flag displaying party and power. They need a move-out-of-my-way looks!)

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 29th April 2010 at 15:45.
Old 29th April 2010, 15:48   #15
BANNED

yes it looks small in the pics. better to get the impression from the man who actually saw it because Im not really able to judge properly from these pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Looks small in these pics!

The M800 (even the bike) on the side is a comparison. Doesn't have the road presence of - say Fortuner or Endy. Not a good thing for sales IMO! (Most SUVs i see here in Chennai have a flag displaying party and power. They need a move-out-of-my-way looks!)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks