Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2010, 16:00   #16

17 Lacs!!!!! Ouch !

I saw this on Yeti by Autocar India and the lady says it would be around 11 lacs in India. And even 11 lacs was costly as per her estimate
Old 29th April 2010, 16:03   #17
BHPian

Sathya@ Great pictures
Old 29th April 2010, 16:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

Agree with shankar.balan and Crazy Driver. The Yeti IS small. I saw one 2 days ago here in Oslo, and I would say it's size is roughly equivalent to the old Honda CRV model. One thing is sure, it is definitely not in the Safari, Endy, Fortuner, Pajero class, as far as size is concerned.

Cheers,
Vikram

P.S: Will try to take a pic the next time I see one.
Old 29th April 2010, 16:12   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Looks small in these pics!

The M800 (even the bike) on the side is a comparison. Doesn't have the road presence of - say Fortuner or Endy. Not a good thing for sales IMO! (Most SUVs i see here in Chennai have a flag displaying party and power. They need a move-out-of-my-way looks!)
Yeti is a crossover SUV. One of those vehicles which is driven more in the city and the ocassional offroading.

I know many would disagree, but its more lke a big brother of Ford Fusion (a distant relative may be!). One should not mind the guy in the M800 or the biker peeping into your dash board..!
Old 29th April 2010, 16:17   #20
SCH
BHPian

If it is priced at 17 lakhs, I do not foresee any great sales primarily for the image of Skoda After Sales Service Support. At this price Fortuner is a much better bet.

if it is priced around 14 /15 lakhs, it would really eat in to the sales of fortuner / Scorpio / Safari / etc...

The timing of the launch is also essential. If they have already started test drives in cities, may be they could also launch it by June/ July.
Old 29th April 2010, 16:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

pricing is really bad,

even at 14-15 lakh it will put a very small dent on Scorpio/Safari sales
Old 29th April 2010, 16:28   #22
BHPian

I still honestly hope that its less than 17 lakhs. But having said that for a 2.0 ltr engine, they have taken the safe haven and priced it to avoid any discomfort for the competition! (pun intended!)

Last edited by urban_legend : 29th April 2010 at 16:30.
Old 29th April 2010, 16:46   #23
BHPian

How does anyone expect Skoda to Price Yeti less than Laura Diesel, the base version, which is about 15 L ex showroom?
Old 29th April 2010, 18:35   #24
BHPian

17 Lacs would be a too steep a price for a car like Yeti. I feel Skoda feels that it has to retain its premiumness in India however VW is actually premium and not Skoda and in india it feels that VW is going to be a mass producer and Skoda a premium, quite dumb actually. Skoda misses the bus everytime it launches and prices a new car, if you remove a lakh of every price Skoda has on its cars then it will make a huge dent in the automotive scene and also i think that they have to lower their cost of ownership and after sales support which is atrocious.
Old 29th April 2010, 19:50   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
How does anyone expect Skoda to Price Yeti less than Laura Diesel, the base version, which is about 15 L ex showroom?
That is the problem of this new segment which Yeti will open up. They definitely will need to bring the price down. But since the engine specs are same, it does not make any sense to push Laura high, unless it offers something totally different (which it wont). So there ends all the logic. But the fact remains, that they need to price it below Laura. They need to do some thing to achieve that.

My take they will not do it and say that the petrol one is the base variant, which would be in the 12-14L range.

Now there again, why a 1.2 TSI for 14L?
Old 29th April 2010, 22:33   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
yes it looks small in the pics. better to get the impression from the man who actually saw it because Im not really able to judge properly from these pics.

Hi Shankar Balan,
It's of the size similar to Hyundai Tucson (probably a little taller), I actually had very little time to take pics as the driver was zipping, what I realised was the Dezire in which I was was no match to the power of the Yeti.
-Sathya
Old 29th April 2010, 22:40   #27
Team-BHP Support

All I can say is that if the Yeti is really launched at 17 lacs, it will live up to its name.
Old 29th April 2010, 22:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathyagith View Post
Hi Shankar Balan,
It's of the size similar to Hyundai Tucson (probably a little taller), I actually had very little time to take pics as the driver was zipping, what I realised was the Dezire in which I was was no match to the power of the Yeti.
-Sathya
In terms of length, Yeti has similar dimension (at 4.2 mts) to Tucson. Height is little lesser then Tucson (which is over 1.7 mts). Width is also marginally lesser then Tucson.
Old 29th April 2010, 22:50   #29
oss
BHPian

@Sathyagith: Excellent catch mate

There is no way the diesel version is going to be priced anywhere below 15lacs. May be a stripped down diesel at 14lacs one year down the line.

Only way is to broaden the price range with a 1.2L petrol priced at 12lacs !
Old 29th April 2010, 23:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

it will create a niche market like what the prius has done and to an extent the Jazz also.
The prius is so expensive and impractical at its price that rich people(i mean filthy rich) find exclusivity in it (i would call it stupidity)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed