Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2010, 23:50   #31
Senior - BHPian

Yeti priced (almost) alongside Fortuner? Amazing. I really wonder at the attitude of the Skoda India folks. They are taking every one for a ride.
Old 30th April 2010, 03:07   #32
BHPian

That is disappointing. I mean, what is the point in having an SUV tag and having a small engine. IMO, SUVs should have huge engines - a minimum of 3.0. Fortuner, Captiva and the upcoming Mahindra Premium SUV is going to have an upper hand here. Yet another disappointment from Skoda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Yeti priced (almost) alongside Fortuner? Amazing. I really wonder at the attitude of the Skoda India folks. They are taking every one for a ride.
I totally agree. Indian customers are taken for a ride in the name of CBU charges, Import Charges and things like these. The worst thing is , we are all ready to put up with these things. I read somehwere on TBHP that they have imposed such heavy import taxes to prioritize Indian car builders (this is what someone said). Well, if that is the case, these ridiculous charges are only going to be an excuse for Indian car builders to continue building crappy cars with no competition as such from foreign companys. If there is no import charges, we are going to see the price of most of these cars coming down to something similar to TATA or Mahindra vehicles and this is going to improve the competition. Atleast then, we are going to see good cars from Indian manufacturers.

Last edited by cyqed : 30th April 2010 at 03:12.
Old 30th April 2010, 06:42   #33
Team-BHP Support

I am sure you will still find takers in Indian market, no matter what the price is. There are many well to do folks, who want to buy something different compared to the regular vehicles.

I am dead sure this number will substantial. That is where, we get beaten. Such vehicles survive purely because such class of people. Hopefully
Mahindra's compact SUV if it comes out would be fun.
Old 30th April 2010, 06:48   #34
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

thanks
i thought the Tucson or the X Trail would be good reference points for the Yeti's proportions.
thanks for clarifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
In terms of length, Yeti has similar dimension (at 4.2 mts) to Tucson. Height is little lesser then Tucson (which is over 1.7 mts). Width is also marginally lesser then Tucson.
Old 30th April 2010, 06:54   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
thanks
i thought the Tucson or the X Trail would be good reference points for the Yeti's proportions.
thanks for clarifying.
The segment so-being defined by Yeti should have be done by Tuscon/Xtrail long time ago.
Old 30th April 2010, 10:09   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyqed View Post
...IMO, SUVs should have huge engines - a minimum of 3.0. Fortuner, Captiva and the upcoming Mahindra Premium SUV is going to have an upper hand here...
Captiva has a 2.0. The same now does duty on the Cruze
Old 30th April 2010, 11:25   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyqed View Post
Well, if that is the case, these ridiculous charges are only going to be an excuse for Indian car builders to continue building crappy cars with no competition as such from foreign companys. If there is no import charges, we are going to see the price of most of these cars coming down to something similar to TATA or Mahindra vehicles and this is going to improve the competition. Atleast then, we are going to see good cars from Indian manufacturers.
I read recently (not sure where) that Govt. is contemplating bringing down these charges. It cant keep them that high for so-long, more so while going for FTA.
Old 30th April 2010, 12:40   #38
Senior - BHPian

17 lakhs! That hurts

It would have been game on for me had it been for around 12ish. I think that it will be a class vehicle. Diesel engine, high quality, right size, good looks. Bad A.S.$ would have been the only hanging thread.

I believe that SKODA misses quite a few buses every time it launches a new product. They could have more than compensated for the 'less profit per car' by increasing the 'number of cars sold' every month. That way, they get better market share as well.

They have to realize that no matter how great a quality they offer, they can't match up to the prestige of GERMAN LUXOS (Merc/Augi/Beemer).
Old 30th April 2010, 14:07   #39
Senior - BHPian

I am no fan of Skoda (more so post getting aquainted to a BHP-ian "Harish's" fiasco). Skoda has (kinda) started focussing on the VFM part, case in point - The Superb.

IMO, this could very well be a marketing strategy. Spread rumors of an inflated price tag and then launch it at a "reasonable" price, just to get the junta ooing and aaahing on how Skoda is turning a new leaf.

A conspiracy theory ...... wot?
Old 30th April 2010, 14:33   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
17 lakhs! That hurts

It would have been game on for me had it been for around 12ish. I think that it will be a class vehicle. Diesel engine, high quality, right size, good looks. Bad A.S.$ would have been the only hanging thread.

I believe that SKODA misses quite a few buses every time it launches a new product. They could have more than compensated for the 'less profit per car' by increasing the 'number of cars sold' every month. That way, they get better market share as well.

They have to realize that no matter how great a quality they offer, they can't match up to the prestige of GERMAN LUXOS (Merc/Augi/Beemer).

Hi People,

Lets start putting a thing or two in perspective shall we?

Fortuner,Captiva and the Endy are around 19 Lac ex-show room. The Xtrail has a landed cost of 10 lacs, in ways I can't even begin to fathom, it manages to cost 30 lacs on road in Bangalore!

The Captiva 2wd is a pure urban SUV. I love the car, but would never want to be in even mild off-road conditions in it.

Fortuner and Endy have a ride that is strangely reminiscent of a drunk (incredibly wasted) Elephant ! Toyota is milking the Fortuner for all its worth by providing a mix of Corolla/Innova interiors. This is not acceptable for such an expensive SUV.

Now, if I wanted an urban SUV that is stable at high speeds and has a respectable off-road capability what am I left with? certainly not the Scorpio. The Safari 4x4 though, fits the bill. Unfortunately it is sluggish and some parts don't fit well. To be fair, one really can't compare the Safari or the Scorpio to the Yeti.

If the Yeti is priced at 17 lacs ON ROAD in Bangalore, then I feel it would be excellent value for money. It should be fun to drive, seems like a decent off roader (not mountain crunching, obviously); and above all, if I wanted to drive at 140-160 kph, this and the Xtrail are the only two SUV's south of 30 lacs I'd be comfortable in (No reliable news on the X1 pricing yet, but it should end up being the 3rd one in this list). At this price point, I expect steering mounted audio controls, front airbags, touch screen with integrated bluetooth and leather interiors. Under the hood, it really ought to come with everything they are selling in Europe. Don't strip hill assist, differential locking etc etc.
If on the other hand, as seems likely, it will cost 21 lacs on road. I expect it to be as loaded as the Laura L&K and I still doubt I'd buy it at this price.

For all the people who want it to be priced at 12 lacs ex-showroom, please take a moment and think about the car. There is no ways on Earth that the diesel version with the haldex system will be priced so cheap, and its the last thing VAG will do. They will try to open up a segment below the Fortuner/Endy/Cap with this car. Eventually, we can expect VW/Skoda to come out with a 7 seater suv to compete with the Fortuner.

Last edited by imp! : 30th April 2010 at 14:36.
Old 30th April 2010, 14:46   #41
BHPian

^^
Skoda shares maximum parts with VW and Audi - including engines. And more or less matches the overall quality you get from Audi - save from the brand perception.

Also, try to look at a vehicle with what it has to offer and not get hung up on its 'dimensions' or 'engine litre capacity'.
A 1.2 TSI will far bypass many 1.5 or 1.6 regular petrol engines in performance.
So does the 1.8 TSI - cracks serious whip even when compared to a 3L V6 in the Accord, with far better driving manners.
Like wise for diesels - compare the CRDis to the older generation PD engines.

The x-trail and the CRV come at close to 30 lacs. If the yeti comes with comparable or better - quality and features, at 17 lacs, its gonna be a steal.

Not everyone will be knowledgable enough to understand these points sadly in India and will still compare it to your scorpio/safari/fortuner.
But then they wouldnt be the Yeti's target segment either.

Last edited by jigbarai : 30th April 2010 at 14:48.
Old 30th April 2010, 15:21   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
I am no fan of Skoda (more so post getting aquainted to a BHP-ian "Harish's" fiasco). Skoda has (kinda) started focussing on the VFM part, case in point - The Superb.

IMO, this could very well be a marketing strategy. Spread rumors of an inflated price tag and then launch it at a "reasonable" price, just to get the junta ooing and aaahing on how Skoda is turning a new leaf.

A conspiracy theory ...... wot?
If it was a conspiracy then i dont what they are achieving by doing this gimmick. It is better to quote a competitive pricing to ensure that they get the maximum customers even before the launch.
Old 30th April 2010, 15:29   #43
Team-BHP Support

12L may be too low a price. I would really consider if they offer at 16/17 OTR. Anything above is not worth.
I guess 16 is a sweet spot for the vehicle!

But I am sure its not going to happen. And also as I said, in spite of the high pricing which Skoda will charge, we will see many Yetis being sold. Thats because in our country we do many folks who want something different and who dont mind the money.
Old 30th April 2010, 15:48   #44
BHPian

Ampere,

The Yeti is better equipped than the Laura elegance (pure scuttlebutt, but may be true); if this is indeed the case than the sweet spot pricing will have to be the same or more than Laura elegance. This places it at 17-18 otr Bangalore.
Old 30th April 2010, 15:52   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Ampere,

The Yeti is better equipped than the Laura elegance (pure scuttlebutt, but may be true); if this is indeed the case than the sweet spot pricing will have to be the same or more than Laura elegance. This places it at 17-18 otr Bangalore.
Totally agree with you there.
Once the engine specs are same, in no way they will price it below Laura. It can only be higher.

Also how much is the localization of spares?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks