Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2010, 12:55   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I think the 1.2 engines on offer by VW are different from the ones on offer by Skoda.Correct me if I am wrong but I seem to remember this being mentioned on another thread pertaining to the VW Polo - this was actually clarified on that thread by someone who works for a VW Dealership.

also i do believe the VW Diesel unit being placed in the VW Polo Diesel which will hit the market May/June is a Crdi engine.

While it is certainly possible that Skoda will place the petrol Yeti in a 4x2 avatar, I also do believe that Skoda would probably put in the 1.8 Petrol rather than the 1.2 for this, on account of the Yeti being larger/ heavier and hence probably requiring more juice/horses/ power - also, since this is the option being offered abroad.

Only thing is, somehow I feel the Yeti will end up competing with the Outlander, Captiva, Fortuner and try to take away market share from those guys on account of attractive pricing when compared to the above listed brands.

Given the fact that it is a CBU, it does not seem plausible for Skoda to price the Yeti very low. However they may yet surprise us and I am certainly hoping that they do!

The 1.2 engines for the fabia and polo are indeed dfferent. I think the fabia is going to get the same engines with a facelift.

The 1.2 tsi on the other hand is a turbo and super charged engine that has been given rave reviews in Europe. The base yeti has the 1.2 ts engine and all reviews I've read indicate that this engine is more than up to the task of lugging a Yeti!!
The petrol 4x4s are all 1.8 tsi, however I doubt we'll get this option as the mileage will be really bad
Old 6th May 2010, 13:05   #77
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

ok then thats interesting to know
yes i do agree that the 1.8 TSI stuffed into a 4x4 will also effectively whittle down the contents of the wallet of anyone who buys it, given the potential Fuel (In!!)efficiency and the cost of petrol these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
The 1.2 engines for the fabia and polo are indeed dfferent. I think the fabia is going to get the same engines with a facelift.

The 1.2 tsi on the other hand is a turbo and super charged engine that has been given rave reviews in Europe. The base yeti has the 1.2 ts engine and all reviews I've read indicate that this engine is more than up to the task of lugging a Yeti!!
The petrol 4x4s are all 1.8 tsi, however I doubt we'll get this option as the mileage will be really bad
Old 11th May 2010, 13:01   #78
SCH
BHPian

Any updates on the likely launch dates / prices. Last I heard was that the car mechanics of Service centers are undergoing trainings for the Yeti.
Old 12th May 2010, 10:01   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
Any updates on the likely launch dates / prices. Last I heard was that the car mechanics of Service centers are undergoing trainings for the Yeti.
The car was on Display in Delhi this past weekend! I suppose its doing the rounds in some of the Metros. I suppose the Dealers are going to get their display cars by the end of May. No information on pricing yet (haven't spoken to the dealer about it though); I'll post again when I have some concrete information.
Old 12th May 2010, 10:36   #80
BHPian

Yeti Launch

Got info from Trivandrum saying that booking has started, salient points:

Prices start from 17 lakhs ex-showroom Trivandrum

Booking amount 1 Lakh

Delivery starts Oct 2010

No engine specs provided..
Old 12th May 2010, 10:50   #81
BHPian

The not so big YETI!

I had the opportunity to check out the Yeti at the Skoda stall in the 2010 Auto Expo. My friend had actually asked me to check it out and tell him whether the car was worth the wait as he was planning to go for an SUV.

My first impressions about the car were:

- Too small to be actually called an SUV, it looked more like a hatchback or a shortened estate to me
- The boot was too small
- Overall space inside the cabin seemed even lesser than the Tucson
- Regardless of whether it is 11 lakhs or 17 lakhs, it is definitely not value for money

P.S.- My friend went ahead and booked the Fortuner.
Old 12th May 2010, 14:08   #82
BHPian

There are two variants expected, an Ambiente and an Elegance with L&K level trim. Initially only the diesel will be available, with an expected ex-show room price of 16.5-18 lacs (according to Vinayak Skoda); they are expecting a display car by the end of this month/beginning of next month. Bookings are open, the expected delivery dates in October.

If the car does indeed come in at this price, Skoda would certainly have missed a golden opportunity! Even the guy I spoke to at Vinayak sounded a bit concerned about the pricing he gave me. He did mention 3-4 times "But Sir, we do not have any certain pricing yet. This is just tentative." At this pricing, I just can't fathom how Skoda expects to sell many Yetis !
Old 12th May 2010, 14:13   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjabraham View Post
I had the opportunity to check out the Yeti at the Skoda stall in the 2010 Auto Expo. My friend had actually asked me to check it out and tell him whether the car was worth the wait as he was planning to go for an SUV.

My first impressions about the car were:

- Too small to be actually called an SUV, it looked more like a hatchback or a shortened estate to me
- The boot was too small
- Overall space inside the cabin seemed even lesser than the Tucson
- Regardless of whether it is 11 lakhs or 17 lakhs, it is definitely not value for money

P.S.- My friend went ahead and booked the Fortuner.

Well now, I don't know about that. Isn't it as small as the Xtrail and the CRV? Did you sit inside the car? Play around with the rear seat to check available space? what did you think of the fit and finish?
I can tell you one thing, its going to be infinitely better than the Fortuner in terms of kit, refinement, ride comfort and highway driving. It will lose out on the road presence and A.S.S front.
Old 12th May 2010, 14:19   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Well now, I don't know about that. Isn't it as small as the Xtrail and the CRV? Did you sit inside the car? Play around with the rear seat to check available space? what did you think of the fit and finish?
I can tell you one thing, its going to be infinitely better than the Fortuner in terms of kit, refinement, ride comfort and highway driving. It will lose out on the road presence and A.S.S front.
I have been in a Skoda yeti . It is a small vehicle. yes it has road presence but definitely is much smaller than a X-trail, especially on the insides and feels like sitting in a biggish hatch like Jazz , let alone a bigger CR-V or the Fortuner.

Yes interior quality is there, as is with all Skoda cars, but, it certainly didn't look to me to be costing over 15 lac rupees.

Last edited by car_crazy1400 : 12th May 2010 at 14:21.
Old 12th May 2010, 14:57   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Initially only the diesel will be available, with an expected ex-show room price of 16.5-18 lacs (according to Vinayak Skoda);
If the car does indeed come in at this price, Skoda would certainly have missed a golden opportunity!
Yes, at these prices, Skoda has missed the bus. Total cost of ownership will be very high for a Skoda when compared to Toyota and others. To offset TCO, the exshowroom price has be somewhat lower.

Moreover, the Yeti has to beat the perception created by Fortuner. Remember, Fortuner is selling at roughly 900 units per month. That is more than any C+ segment sedan.
Old 12th May 2010, 16:30   #86
BHPian

Quote:
I did sit inside the car especially the back seat. By small I meant it was small for an SUV. Overall, the car didn't impress me. In fact I was disappointed, maybe because I went with great expectations! If it is priced anything above 15 lakhs then I think its seriously not worth considering. But that's just my point of view!
Old 12th May 2010, 17:10   #87
Senior - BHPian

This is an amazing and a compact SUV, a sensible vehicle, provided skoda improves its service and price it competitively.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-1.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-2.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-3.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-4.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-5.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-6.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-7.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-8.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-9.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-10.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-11.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-12.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-13.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-14.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-15.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-16.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-17.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-18.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-19.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-20.jpg  

Old 12th May 2010, 17:19   #88
Senior - BHPian

some more yeti pics from Delhi.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-21.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-22.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-23.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-24.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-25.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-26.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-27.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-28.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-29.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-30.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-31.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-32.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-33.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-34.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-35.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-36.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-37.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-f-38.jpg  

Old 12th May 2010, 17:23   #89
BHPian

LHD Yeti in showrooms! Did Skoda forget about homologation in a hurry to hit the market?
Old 12th May 2010, 17:47   #90
A.R
BHPian

Ahh the Yeti!! Looks like a slightly bigger Fusion or a GV from a size perspective, Interior features are very similar to the Laura. The back shape is so bad that....

Thanks for the pics.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks