Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2011, 23:25   #196
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Small Car Buyer Guide - A Ready Reckoner

[quote=Johnn;2433464]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I have been trying to use the data available in the "Buyer Guide" of automobile magazines on various small cars to arrive at some sort of qualitative ranking. This study will compare cars based on measurables like -

1) Outright Performance (0 - 100 kmph)
2) Driveability or In-Gear acceleration (30 - 80 kmph in 3rd Gear, 40 - 100 kmph in 4th Gear)
Unquote

Always wanted to say this
Driveability figures (from 0 to 100 or 30 to 80 or 40 to 100) do not reveal what the real torque/bhp can do.

Also the data was quoted by Smart Cat on 6th may 2010 00:58 hrs, for example the newer Alto K10 that does not figure best the current Swift flat.

So take all figures with a lot of salt, sorry to Magazine guys, can't hide obvious bloopers.
Johnn Did not get the exact context of the post - but based on what I figured - here goes. Smartcat may have a better interpretation.

smartcat has already right at the start mentioned that the magazine figures have errors and I believe has considered the data available even if with errors for a level playing field. He has introduced an updated improved study for the second year running including the newer models.

The divability figures give us a true idea of how a car would perform in real world conditions (and how usable the torque / Bhp is as it depends on the rpm at which the power is made available as well as the gearing) while 0-100 figures are just for the record books and remain there.
Old 20th July 2011, 01:49   #197
BHPian

Hi fellow BHPians,

Do we have a dedicated thread for Punto Diesel Vs Swift Diesel?
I am looking for a honest and detailed comparison of these 2 hatches.

Thanks
Denny
Old 12th September 2011, 09:18   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
After I upload the Excel sheet at the end of this exercise, you can change the weightage of each parameter - based on what's important to you and what's not.

This analysis is going to take a few more days though as I have a few other things to do - please bear with me.
Hey smartcat, great work! Just wanted to know if you have uploaded the Excel sheet anywhere, can you please point me to the link?

Also, would be great if you add more criteria such as ride quality, etc. on this thread similar to sedan buying guide.
Old 12th September 2011, 14:00   #199
BHPian

Great compilation there Smartcat.

Isn't in gear acceleration be it in the 3rd, 4th or 5th more important than outright acceleration in the real world ?
Old 12th September 2011, 23:19   #200
BHPian

Its a good thing you waited so long for the next section of comparisons. The cars with their revised prices will paint a totally different picture as compared to last year. I hope the new Sensibly Priced Honda Jazz (Not SPHJ ) does even better this time around. I was actually stressing on one of the what-car threads about the importance of braking distance and safety features. Glad to know we have a comprehensive comparo-sheet in progress here.
Old 24th September 2011, 12:19   #201
BHPian

Most of us would be cruising in the 5th gear on highways. When there is a need for a quick overtake we slot into the 4th gear and accelerate. This i guess is the procedure most folks would follow.
Now Polo 1.6 is widely being regarded as a hot hatch. But it takes 21.6 seconds for 40-100 in the 4th gear. Even the likes of a-star, i10 1.1 fare better.
Considering this, is Polo really a hot hatch in real world scenario ?
karty_83 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 16:27   #202
BHPian

I just discovered this excellent thread. Is there anyway we can update this to 2015?

Last edited by ampere : 22nd May 2015 at 16:28. Reason: Formatted Text.

Most Viewed