Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2010, 18:14   #106
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
7. Surprise - Is Elantra still selling, wonder why Hyundai is making that?
One of my friend bought that Elantra. It's a 2007 model Elantra GT petrol.It'd some manufacturing defect. He got it for around 3.5-4 lakh with zero kilometres on the odo.
Old 8th May 2010, 18:19   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
But they will be compensated handsomly for that
when they sell the car.
IMHO it's a joke.

Invest the same 1.5L sensibly and prudently on appreciating assets. Believe me, it'll pay you more handsomely than the Hondas
Old 8th May 2010, 20:07   #108
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

OT here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Even the red dash is popular.( One of my friends bought the titanuim figo for it) The ad campaign !!
[/i][/b]
We refused to put in any other colour choice other than Squeeze / Coral when we booked the Figo.
Old 8th May 2010, 20:18   #109
Senior - BHPian

The most shocking numbers are that of Civic! Just 188 units while the Altis sold 850!! Is this because it is overpriced in the segment? Otherwise it's an awesome sedan!
The Altis is the least exciting car in the segment(IMO) but still sells the most!
Old 8th May 2010, 20:50   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
The Altis is the least exciting car in the segment(IMO) but still sells the most!
Also the most VFM and peace of mind in its segment

Most of us seems to have a safety first approach
Old 8th May 2010, 21:03   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The most shocking numbers are that of Civic! Just 188 units while the Altis sold 850!! Is this because it is overpriced in the segment? Otherwise it's an awesome sedan!
My thoughts on Civic's downward trend is probably because:
a) It's a product at the end or nearly at the end of of it's lifecycle. It was introduced in June 2006. Time for a replacement. The Altis was introduced in Sept 2008 (in India). I am sure Honda will be back with a product that will wipe the floor with the Altis. But then the Corolla v/s Civic shootout is like the eternal cat and mouse game also being played out with their bigger siblings the Camry and Accord.
b) The Altis is kitted with an engine that offers better mileage in city runs, courtesy low end torque which means you dont need to rev the engine to get the car to move, like in the Civic. And not to forget the ground clearance which is every Civic owners headache. I had a Honda before I know the pitfalls of low clearance. My heart would skip a beat everytime she scraped a large speedbreaker.
c) The Altis is a staid car but FAR greater value for money. It is simply better kitted. The Civic's digital speedos with the 'space age' (some call it boy racer) look gets you the oohs and aahs for a while but the novelty wears off quickly and trust me this 'look' is not to everyones taste. Honda has simply priced itself out of the market by capitalising on this country's tendency to adore anything that comes out of their stables. People are wising up to it.

Oh before anybody gets me wrong this is not a Honda bashing attempt. I love their cars myself. But let my head rule my heart and my money went to Toyota for the 2nd time making me a repeat customer. I thought of giving Honda a bit of time, years actually, to up their After Sales game to the benchmark set by others especially Toyota.

Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 8th May 2010 at 21:04.
Old 10th May 2010, 09:18   #112
Senior - BHPian

I see simple logic here w.r.t Civic's decline.
Altis = Hotel car and Civic <> Hotel car. So, sales can't be compared.
Civic was dominating with its overprice as there wasn't much competition. Now, VW and Skoda are giving it tough time. People seems to have started relizing the 'overpricing' of Civic and now its time for Honda to look at the numbers.
Old 10th May 2010, 12:24   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Invest the same 1.5L sensibly and prudently on appreciating assets. Believe me, it'll pay you more handsomely than the Hondas
Investing 1.5L on a honda city and getting that priceless
'peace of mind' is itself a sensible and prudent investment.
Plus you get extra resale value.

Indian consumers are much shrewder than we think.

Last edited by Daewood : 10th May 2010 at 12:33.
Old 10th May 2010, 12:44   #114
BANNED

Now, Swift is the largest selling model in India!

12,000 hatches + 8,000 sedans = 20,000, versus 19,000 Altos.
Old 10th May 2010, 12:47   #115
Senior - BHPian

Do Indian car makers declare the fleet sales separately? Since they are marked with more discounts, they help the numbers but not much on profit.
Remember Camry sales beating Accords just a couple of times due to fleet sales which Honda never did.
Old 10th May 2010, 13:13   #116
BANNED

It brind the big number down to declare fleet sales! for the company, a sale is a sale!
Old 10th May 2010, 15:24   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post

The only downside of SX4 is that it looks like a hippo. and consume a bit more fuel.
Don't agree on that - white man with skirts looks smashing (again subjective) and on fuel - my car in the last 1.5 months has travelled nearly 28xx kms and has returned 14.58 on an average - last time I checked it was close to 14.7 km/l - and it was mix of 70% city & 30% highway driving and I am no slouch behind the wheels.

I dunno if the Honda does that in the city (that too Pune) - a neighbours new honda City 1.5V returns around 13 only - it has done 25xx kms in the last 4 months.
Old 10th May 2010, 17:20   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Investing 1.5L on a honda city and getting that priceless
'peace of mind' is itself a sensible and prudent investment.
I have that priceless "peace of mind" as my father owns a Civic and had earlier owned ONHC Vtec.Since its he who pays for the obnoxious amounts they charge and not me

Central locking for the ONHC Vtec cost 12K.

The engine mounting for the Civic had some issues and the sound was becoming unbearable and even that took 9 months to repair.Apparently the part was unavailable.Am sure it would be available just when the warranty ended.

The 6 CD changer for the Civic doesnt work(1 yr from the time it was bought) and they have quoted a price of around 70K to replace that.

To me,the HONDA service has been pathetic and have seen for 2 cars.
Old 10th May 2010, 17:35   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sweeping generalization my friend. Civic can't hold a candle to the Corolla's suspension. What I don't understand is blind fold generalizations on the forum that Civic is an exciting car even when people havent driven it? The fact is that it only looks exciting.

The suspension on the Civic is utter rubbish. It is soft and still it doesnt rides with the promise and the confidence of a Corolla Altis. Some of you may come after my blood but haven't you seen Civics on the road sagged almost to the bottom with just two people sitting at the back. I am sorry but talking with the stock suspension setup on the car, the Civic is no where near Corolla Altis, be it ride or stability or handling.

The Corolla then tops it up with subtle looks, Toyota's promise of longevity and reliability, more equipments and lesser price. Its a deserving best seller.
Old 10th May 2010, 17:37   #120
BHPian

@joy
and what made you guys to go back to Honda after the 'priceless' experience?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed