Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 17:49   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Sweeping generalization my friend. Civic can't hold a candle to the Corolla's suspension. What I don't understand is blind fold generalizations on the forum that Civic is an exciting car even when people havent driven it? The fact is that it only looks exciting.

The suspension on the Civic is utter rubbish. It is soft and still it doesnt rides with the promise and the confidence of a Corolla Altis. Some of you may come after my blood but haven't you seen Civics on the road sagged almost to the bottom with just two people sitting at the back. I am sorry but talking with the stock suspension setup on the car, the Civic is no where near Corolla Altis, be it ride or stability or handling.

The Corolla then tops it up with subtle looks, Toyota's promise of longevity and reliability, more equipments and lesser price. Its a deserving best seller.
with your claim that Corolla's suspension is better than Civic, but not completely.

Corolla has better ride that ensures comfortable drive in the back seat on any road. As compared to this Civic's ride becomes harsh while encountering rough patches, plus there are complaints of the rear bottoming on speed breakers (due to soft suspension). This has driven demand off from the latter as most of the buyers (in India) in the price range prefer comfortable car which is chauffeur driven rather than self driven.

Yes most Corolla owners claim city mileage of 10-11 kmpl, which is similar to mileage in the case of City (not Civic).

But, both the cars are equally refined in my opinion, only the targeted segment (buyers) vis-a-vis the product offered do not properly match up in Civic's case.
Old 10th May 2010, 17:53   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
As compared to this Civic's ride becomes harsh while encountering rough patches, plus there are complaints of the rear bottoming on speed breakers (due to soft suspension).
Well this exactly is the problem. The suspension is soft and harsh at the same time and I for the life of me can't understand how Honda managed to do it. The lousy suspension also means that it isnt surefooted going around the corners.
Old 10th May 2010, 17:59   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well this exactly is the problem. The suspension is soft and harsh at the same time and I for the life of me can't understand how Honda managed to do it. The lousy suspension also means that it isnt surefooted going around the corners.
I wrote harsh ride due to soft suspension. If all the road abrasions can be felt in the car this definitely means that the car's suspension is not tuned for comfortable ride in the back seat.
"not surefooted going around the corners" - that could be exciting for a boy-racer but not good for a senior executive of a MNC, & that is why they prefer Corolla.
Old 10th May 2010, 18:11   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sweeping generalization my friend. Civic can't hold a candle to the Corolla's suspension. What I don't understand is blind fold generalizations on the forum that Civic is an exciting car even when people havent driven it? The fact is that it only looks exciting.

The suspension on the Civic is utter rubbish. It is soft and still it doesnt rides with the promise and the confidence of a Corolla Altis. Some of you may come after my blood but haven't you seen Civics on the road sagged almost to the bottom with just two people sitting at the back. I am sorry but talking with the stock suspension setup on the car, the Civic is no where near Corolla Altis, be it ride or stability or handling.

The Corolla then tops it up with subtle looks, Toyota's promise of longevity and reliability, more equipments and lesser price. Its a deserving best seller.
I think your first line holds good for your message as well! This is a sweeping generalization abut Corolla being superior to Civic in ride, stability and handling. I have a completely opposite view, except for Corolla's back seat, which is better than Civic.
Old 10th May 2010, 18:28   #125
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprateep View Post
my car in the last 1.5 months has travelled nearly 28xx kms

a neighbours new honda City 1.5V returns around 13 only - it has done 25xx kms in the last 4 months.
You have put it yourself. Your car runs more frequently and longer distances at a time than the City which obvioulsy runs less distances at a time and shorter distances.

Better to compare cars with similar usage.

Last edited by trrk : 10th May 2010 at 18:29.
Old 10th May 2010, 20:14   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Investing 1.5L on a honda city and getting that priceless
'peace of mind' is itself a sensible and prudent investment.
Plus you get extra resale value.

Indian consumers are much shrewder than we think.
You can get peace of mind in all present day cars. They are hardly known to break down in the middle of road. You can get same peace of mind with any maruti/Hyundai/Toyota and even GM (to some extent). There are only 3 brands which dont provide peace of mind but there cars are irresistible.
----Skoda,Fiat,Ford.
Mind it honda spares are pretty expensive. More expensive than Maruti, Hyundai,Toyota, GM.

And why spend 1.5L extra for peace of mind?? Get a NANO
Old 10th May 2010, 20:35   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprateep View Post
Don't agree on that - white man with skirts looks smashing (again subjective) and on fuel - my car in the last 1.5 months has travelled nearly 28xx kms and has returned 14.58 on an average - last time I checked it was close to 14.7 km/l - and it was mix of 70% city & 30% highway driving and I am no slouch behind the wheels.

I dunno if the Honda does that in the city (that too Pune) - a neighbours new honda City 1.5V returns around 13 only - it has done 25xx kms in the last 4 months.
About FE I am quite positive Honda provides 1-1.5 KMpl more than SX4. Well looks are subjective but I like sleek looks. Sx4 looks like someone just blew the exhaust making the car fluffy.
SX4 is a good car not a great car. It has got everything right. Decent engine, sporty suspension, wide tyres and lots of equipment at nominal price. But when I drove it it was nowhere comparable to Fiesta 1.6 when it comes to driving pleasure. Nowhwere close to verna/optra in ride quality and nowhere close to Linea in styling.
Its a car which people buy with their head and not not with their Heart.

No offence to any SX4 owner.

Last edited by oxyzen : 10th May 2010 at 20:38.
Old 11th May 2010, 11:40   #128
VMG
BHPian

Mitsu Cedia is better than both Corolla and Civic in handling, suspension, ride quality, GC,features (Memo steering, GPS ....) and FE. I don't know about back seat comfort. it is very unfortunate that Cedia is not picking up in sales.
Old 11th May 2010, 19:30   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
2. Punto and Linea are suffering, big time.
Linea has always maintained around that 950 - 1050 per month. I think it is still a decent number considering the bad psyche among people about its performance and A.S.S. In my opinion, with the kind of negatives people associate, its numbers cannot go further down.

@VMG Talking about Cedia! I thought people don't even know that Mitsubishi still sells car

Last edited by opendro : 11th May 2010 at 19:32.
Old 11th May 2010, 20:15   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMG View Post
Mitsu Cedia is better than both Corolla and Civic in handling, suspension, ride quality, GC,features (Memo steering, GPS ....) and FE. I don't know about back seat comfort. it is very unfortunate that Cedia is not picking up in sales.
16-inch alloys and a turbo for the sport model and a diesel engine should change that.

A nice product doesnt always help a company if the company doesnt know how to market it.
Old 12th May 2010, 16:03   #131
BHPian

Figo has started eating into the sales of entry level cars to even the territory of Fiesta/Ikon/Dzire!!!

In the month of launch in just 3 weeks it raked up 7500 units but then coming down in April just around the 6k mark. So I guess the figo could quite settle down around 5k in the months to come. To me hence there's nothing so great with the Figo. Even the i20 is going at 5k!!!

Kudos to Swift!!!
Old 12th May 2010, 16:14   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
You can get peace of mind in all present day cars. They are hardly known to break down in the middle of road. You can get same peace of mind with any maruti/Hyundai/Toyota and even GM (to some extent). There are only 3 brands which dont provide peace of mind but there cars are irresistible.
----Skoda,Fiat,Ford.
Mind it honda spares are pretty expensive. More expensive than Maruti, Hyundai,Toyota, GM.

And why spend 1.5L extra for peace of mind?? Get a NANO
That was a good one! I liked the idea of Nano+SX4 = ANHC!!!

But then don't just ride on the fact that all modern day cars are that perfect. Problems can arise due to totally unexpected issues. For eg: Breaking of belt, radiator hose or something like that. Yeah in most cases it starts after the car is atleast 5-6 yrs old. Till then most cars do fine even otherwise! But then, once you face a problem onroad the next thing is a workshop and a spare -> for both Maruti scores!!! For even a Honda/Toyota spare you may need to catch a bus and go to the nearest city, but not for Maruti. And that is why Swift's and Dzires rule, not just the worthiness of the car, its all about being with Maruti => feel safe!
Old 12th May 2010, 17:15   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Figo has started eating into the sales of entry level cars to even the territory of Fiesta/Ikon/Dzire!!!

In the month of launch in just 3 weeks it raked up 7500 units but then coming down in April just around the 6k mark. So I guess the figo could quite settle down around 5k in the months to come. To me hence there's nothing so great with the Figo. Even the i20 is going at 5k!!!

Kudos to Swift!!!
Considering the reputation that Ford has in India, I think its a commendable job. Even 5K would be considered as excellent by Ford itself.
Old 12th May 2010, 17:19   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Considering the reputation that Ford has in India, I think its a commendable job. Even 5K would be considered as excellent by Ford itself.
any one has the split up of petrol/diesel for figo? i wanna know how much the fiesta engine helped in figo success.
Old 12th May 2010, 18:18   #135
BHPian

Figo sales.

Figo sales reached 6-7k in the first 2 months of its lauch. i20 reached there after quite some time. i20 is hyundai mind you with it's famed ***+dealer network. I really believe that hyundai has the best set of dealers in india who will sell you the car by hook or crook . I think Figo sales is exceptional and am pretty sure that the sales will only go up once it reaches critical mass. I say this because right now lot of people hesitate to buy figo because it's ford. That will change once loads of figos start showing up on the road. The famed indian herd mentality will work and the people who buy swift today without a testdrive will start running after Figo. The car itself is very good from whatever i have seen till now and word of mouth will also help figo .
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks