Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2010, 20:17   #31
BHPian

<p>it is rather upsetting to see the punto/linea do so badly.
quite definitely it is due to the image that fiat has in our country,unfortunately fiat doesn't seem to be doing just enough. according to me,it isn't at all about the cars being underpowered.

the partnership with tata doesn't help much either,as most feel,they are more interested in selling their own cars.

I never realised the polo D was out,this is one car I've been looking out for

Last edited by sukrit7 : 3rd May 2010 at 20:24.
Old 3rd May 2010, 21:03   #32
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes-Benz India April 2010 Sales :

C - 147
E - 127
S - 22
CBU (various models) - 25

I can't wait to see the sales of the BMW 3 considering the figure they had for March, on a side note does the E look like it's not getting much of a lead for an all new car?

Also considering from Jan - April sales now cross 1600 cars is it safe to assume they will cross the 5000 cars a year mark in 2010? I have a gut feeling BMW & Mercedes will both cross 5000 mark each. We as consumers are going to benefit a lot in this fight, esp. in the E v/s 5, watch as both try to out do each other with prices and features every year and not to mention a few corporate editions
Old 3rd May 2010, 21:08   #33
BHPian

NEW DELHI: Carmaker Honda Siel Cars India reported a 2.13 per cent fall in sales to 3,578 units in April this year.

The company sold 3,656 units in April, 2009, HSCI said in a statement.

The sales last month comprised 2,787 units of HSCI's flagship City sedan, 188 units of the premium Civic sedan, 194 units of the luxury Accord, 338 units of the Jazz hatchback and 71 units of the CR-V sports utility vehicle.

So Honda's 'highbrow-attitude' and atrocious pricing policy is slowly showing results in pulling the company's sales down down and down. All of their products have shown sinking sales.
Old 3rd May 2010, 21:43   #34
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS View Post
Guys Excel sheet will follow soon, but until then

Jetta = 385
Passat = 110
Beetle = 92
Polo = 904

Corolla = 851

385 Jetta & 110 Passat - Unbelievable. Is it the fancy for CR engines that bumped up the bookings or new cars being shipped to dealerships increasing the numbers? We need to see if the numbers hold up for May as well.

Corolla is doing amazingly well, even in a dull month like Apr. Compare that with the 188 units of Civic that Honda has managed to sell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
VW sold POLO close to what it expected (1000 a month). They were just not prepared for a whopping 5000 bookings and hence the waiting period . They should have planned well. On the other hand, Ford being well prepared has been able to manage the show well even with Figo bookings touching 10,000 mark.

Waiting for the detailed breakup and excel sheet.

Dude, are you saying 5000 itself a whopping number !! How on earth does VW hope to become a volume player in India, if they can't even manage a 1000+ delivery? Not that the Skoda factory is overloaded with Fabia production.

And saying that stringent quality check is delaying the delivery, that one big innovative joke

Last edited by oss : 3rd May 2010 at 21:45.
Old 3rd May 2010, 22:50   #35
BANNED

Hi

does any one the numbers for Chevy!?

especially the Beat?
Old 3rd May 2010, 22:59   #36
Senior - BHPian

Are Honda and Fiat the only two manufacturers whose sales have declined?

I guess Linea is doing OK, but Punto has taken a hit from Polo and Figo launches.

Decline in City sales is quite surprising, because it doesn't have any new competition. The existing competition does not seem to have made any ground either. Do the Honda numbers have something to do with BS3 to BS4 change?
Old 3rd May 2010, 23:11   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
NEW DELHI: Carmaker Honda Siel Cars India reported a 2.13 per cent fall in sales to 3,578 units in April this year.

The sales last month comprised 2,787 units of HSCI's flagship City sedan, 188 units of the premium Civic sedan, 194 units of the luxury Accord, 338 units of the Jazz hatchback and 71 units of the CR-V sports utility vehicle.
Honda has been given apt lesson by Indian customers and competitors Alike. I am sure in future they would never screw up their pricing the way they did with "Their" car of the Year 2009 - Jazz....

Credit really goes to Indian Customer for ignoring the excessive pricing on account of "Straight-H" symbol on the car whereas as the Other H is doing great. No doubts why Honda Dropped to 7th place now from 5th place 3 years earlier.First it was GM to push them to 6th and now its Ford turn to push them to 7th this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
Hi

does any one the numbers for Chevy!?

especially the Beat?
I thought Chevy & ford were the first two to publish their sales numbers on may 1st (over the web), here are the articles.

GM India's April sales zoom over two-fold
Carmaker General Motors India saw its sales climbing over two-fold to 10,601 units in April this year compared to 4,823 units in the same month last year.

"The growth was primarily driven by the overwhelming response to the much sought after Chevrolet Beat, Cruze and Spark," General Motors India said in a statement.

The company sold 3,507 units of the hatchback Spark, 692 units of the sedan Cruze and 3,852 units of the latest compact car Beat in the reporting month, it added.

It also sold 529 units of premium hatchback Aveo U-Va, 315 units of the entry-level sedan Aveo, 62 units of the mid-sized sedan Optra, 1,529 units of the multi-utility vehicle Tavera and 115 units of the SUV Captiva.

"We are pleased to see such robust growth for all our car lines and we believe these world class products will further propel the Chevrolet brand in the market," GM India Vice-President P Balendran said.

The company has recently ramped up production by adding second shifts at Halol and Talegaon plants to meet the increased demand of its products.

Ford India
armaker Ford India on Saturday reported an over three-fold jump in its April sales at 7,509 units on the back of its latest small car Figo getting a good response.

Figo already has over 15,000 bookings in the last seven weeks. The company now plans to start the second shift of production at its Chennai facility from June to meet the demand of the hatchback, Ford India said in a statement.

The company had sold a total of 2,034 units in April, 2009, it added.

"We are happy to see the Figo sustain its momentum and create a new set of customers for us...(we) are proactively preparing to meet up with the demand as we begin our second production shift starting June," Ford India President and Managing Director Michael Boneham said.

The Chennai facility has a production capacity of one lakh units, which is now being increased to two lakh units, as a part of the company's $500 million investment plan. Besides, the facility also has a capacity to produce 2.5 lakh units of engine per annum.

The company said all its models such as the Ikon, Fiesta and Endeavour performed well during April.

Beat and Figo has turned a corner it seems for Chevrolet and Ford. Chevrolet in particular is stabilizing in a 10K plus volume and is just 5th player to do so....really commendable both these Yankees.

Last edited by anu21v : 3rd May 2010 at 23:20.
Old 3rd May 2010, 23:21   #38
Senior - BHPian

Does anybody have the split up between Diesel and Petrol cars of Polo, Punto and i20?

Will be interesting to know how Petrol cars are doing in this segment, since the engine capacity is restricted to 1200 CC.
Old 4th May 2010, 00:29   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
FIAT Numbers are dwindling down by the day. They need to get the punto out with the VGT version of the MJD as standard and improve the finish with the plastics.

More importantly, advertise the car. Its just not enough to give a couple ads in news papers and an ad on the news channels. Flog every ad space with the Punto and Linea ads.

FIAT are you listening!
I believe Fiat has upped their advertising game already !
I see lots of ads with for the new 1.2 variants on TV. The ads that they show are of a 2 door Punto doing sporty runs
They also have so many ads on Radio touting the "Great Punto bold rush" offer.
Where they have over 50k discount going on
(free insurance + extended warranty + roadside assistance + exchange bonus + 10k gift cheque)

I believe the problem is not advertising.
Neither is it after sales service.

In my experience it is the Pre-Sales.
A huge dealer like B. U. Bhandari in Pune who also manages the Mercedes dealership has put out such lousy Sales people for Fiat.
Inexperienced, not upto knowledge, speaking in vernacular accents & not having any sales pitch to push their car with.
"Khareedna hai to khareedo nahi to no thank you" attitude !

While i was at the dealership booking my Punto, a call came from a prospective customer asking for a Test-Drive.
The sales head for Fiat started asking her sales people who will take the car out for Test Drive.
AND NO ONE WAS WILLING TO GO !
Everyone was claiming that since it was 6 pm and near closing time they were not ready.
The sales head was also cool. Asking one of her drivers to "Call the client yourself and tell him that you cant come" !

Even i was in half a mind to cancel my Punto what with all the delays in me getting a PDI and the dealership not knowing where the car is.
(I was made to wait at the wrong stockyard for 2 hrs for my PDI ! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Does the '904' indicate the number of Polos delivered in April? Because there have been over 5000 bookings since launch.

Read in Autocar this month that the VW Polo goes through stringent quality checks and hence the delay in deliveries.

Haha ! So very convenient no ?
So all the other car manufacturers dont have quality checks which is why they can put out in excess of 50000 cars per month !
Duh !
This is just a misplanned launch with incorrect demand expectation.
I also have strong doubts that they are facing some supply issues or factoy teething in issues !

Last edited by Silverfire : 4th May 2010 at 00:31. Reason: Adding detail
Old 4th May 2010, 11:06   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
And you believe that?
Well i guess giving the car with lame engines @ a lame price has got nothing to do with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
In case you haven't driven the car yet, it's lame only on paper. It's fairly decent on the road. But it's not as VFM as others in the segment, so that may be the reason for tepid sales.
on lame pricing and non-VFM factors of POLO. Just finished doing my calculations and figured out that "not so" feature rich Polo HL petrol will cost me around 6,40,000 OTR whereas Punto E+ MJD around 6,55,000 OTR; a meagre difference of 15k but a substantial difference under the hood as well as a big smile on every top up at Diesel Pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
Dude, are you saying 5000 itself a whopping number !! How on earth does VW hope to become a volume player in India, if they can't even manage a 1000+ delivery? Not that the Skoda factory is overloaded with Fabia production.

And saying that stringent quality check is delaying the delivery, that one big innovative joke
Bro, my usage of this word was very subjective and from VW perspective. VW dealer I visited had curious expressions as he spoke about 4~5 months waiting period on POLO because of "whopping" (I translated the expressions into a single word) 5k bookings.

True, if they aim at being volume players they have to be on their toes.

Last edited by sheetumanu : 4th May 2010 at 11:08.
Old 4th May 2010, 11:41   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post

So Honda's 'highbrow-attitude' and atrocious pricing policy is slowly showing results in pulling the company's sales down down and down. All of their products have shown sinking sales.
Seems like Accord is selling more than Civic! After all a new Civic V AT costs upward of 17 lacs in Bangalore!
Old 4th May 2010, 11:44   #42
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

POLO-900
BEETLE-92
PRIUS-21
Some surprising numbers there. What about the Figo, Ritz and Swift?
Old 4th May 2010, 11:52   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
I believe Fiat has upped their advertising game already !
I see lots of ads with for the new 1.2 variants on TV. The ads that they show are of a 2 door Punto doing sporty runs
They also have so many ads on Radio touting the "Great Punto bold rush" offer.
Where they have over 50k discount going on
(free insurance + extended warranty + roadside assistance + exchange bonus + 10k gift cheque)

I believe the problem is not advertising.
Neither is it after sales service.

In my experience it is the Pre-Sales.
A huge dealer like B. U. Bhandari in Pune who also manages the Mercedes dealership has put out such lousy Sales people for Fiat.
Inexperienced, not upto knowledge, speaking in vernacular accents & not having any sales pitch to push their car with.
"Khareedna hai to khareedo nahi to no thank you" attitude !
100% agree ... pathetic sales team to handle prospective customers. I have made 4 attempts in the past to test drive Linea. was successful in the 4th attempt. Once there was no key of the TD car (they misplaced it). Then it was a Sunday so no TD although they were merrily doing bookings of Tata Cars. 3rd time they were supposed to send the car at home for TD but never reached. Lastly when I was successful in the TD, the car turned out to be a lemon !!! I felt the car had no shocks . The TD caused a temporary back pain.
Old 4th May 2010, 13:26   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
In case you haven't driven the car yet, it's lame only on paper. It's fairly decent on the road. But it's not as VFM as others in the segment, so that may be the reason for tepid sales.
I did drive the diesel, and i still believe its a lame engine. In fact it was worse that i expected.

Quote:
on lame pricing and non-VFM factors of POLO. Just finished doing my calculations and figured out that "not so" feature rich Polo HL petrol will cost me around 6,40,000 OTR whereas Punto E+ MJD around 6,55,000 OTR; a meagre difference of 15k but a substantial difference under the hood as well as a big smile on every top up at Diesel Pump.
Good one, but compare it to something like FIGO 1.4D and the story gets even scarier.
Old 4th May 2010, 13:30   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

True, if they aim at being volume players they have to be on their toes.
Hopefully you will be able to maintain the smile on your visit to Fiat *** also.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed