Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2010, 00:32   #451
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS View Post
@pgsagar, @xingamazon,

Guys if in that case do you call ford fiesta and skoda octavia also underpowered ?

Fiesta Diesel = 1.4L = 68 PS= 1150 kg
Altis Diesel = 1.4L = 90 PS = 1270 kg
Octavia Diesel = 1.9L = 90 PS = 1330 kg ???

Altis is much better in terms of specs and has lesser weight also compared to octavia

Isnt Fiesta a fun to drive car ?

Even octavia also then should be branded as underpowered.

Octavia did 90 in 1.9L, but if corolla delivers the same in 1.4L, then why is it branded as underpowered ?

Modern engines pump out more power in less displacement.
Instead of the paper specs, its the on road performance that matters.

The 90bhp Octavia is low on PTW ratio, but the actual road performance is very good, Low down below 2000rpm it has even more grunt than the more powerful Elantra CRDi. The Brilliant diesel engine(For that time) was the first reason why it became a hit instantly, drive it once and you won't miss the performance(Unless you are used to driving a RS). Still it had excellent FE.

The Fiesta on hand has brilliant dynamics but the Diesel engine is hardly any fun to drive compared to its petrol counterpart, Yes i know its very responsive and pulls without lag low down but this engine struggles as if choked when pushed. The Fiesta Diesel's performance at most can be called just adequate. Obviously not a car for track day.

The Corolla diesel makes 85bhp from just 1400cc. Modern turbo diesels can be boosted as per requirement, even smaller engines can make power figures to match bigger displacement engines. The downside of smaller diesels is SEVERE turbo lag. The sad thing about Altis diesel does come with weak performance, Outright acceleration is slow, in gear acceleration is even worse than most hatchbacks. The only saving grace is usage of 6-speed MT gearbox, that will boost FE on open roads. I don't find a reason why a person who loves to drive would pick this car. The dynamics are not any great, the Interiors do not feel special.

Altis Diesel makes sense only if you want it chauffeur driven or you hate performance.

A comparison of performance with cars in the segment and a segment lower.

In the format below.
Car: 0-100 in secs/20-80kph(3rd)/40-100(4th)/Power(bhp)/Torque(kgm).

Optra Magnum TCDi: 10.90/12.80/14.90/120/32.10
Cruze TCDi MT: 9.64/13.83/16.38/148/33
Linea MJD: 15.04/11.86/13.64/86/20.7
Fiesta TDCi: 17.13/12.52/16.37/68/16
Verna CRDi: 11.23/12.52/16.75/110/24
Jetta Tdi: 11.94/6.93/8.65/108/25.5
Corolla D4D: 15.05/14.85/20.53/87/20.9
Skoda Laura MT 110hp data not available, Jetta has same engine, expect similar figures.

*Best figures in bold. All figures from ACI.
Old 31st July 2010, 08:40   #452
PCS
BHPian

Please dont refer to the words as mentioned by ACI.

I request you to personally drive this car in city and highways, before making an statement

Dynamics and interiors may not feel good. But these are not the only the factors that one will buy a car.

Interiors might be bland, but this is what liked by many of them as its simple, functional and ergonomic.

Altis never had complaints on bad interiors.

The figures will speak for itself.
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:11   #453
PCS
BHPian

Corolla Diesel gets 1035 bookings within 7 days of launch as per company press release
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:19   #454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS View Post
Please dont refer to the words as mentioned by ACI.

I request you to personally drive this car in city and highways, before making an statement

Dynamics and interiors may not feel good. But these are not the only the factors that one will buy a car.

Interiors might be bland, but this is what liked by many of them as its simple, functional and ergonomic.

Altis never had complaints on bad interiors.

The figures will speak for itself.
1. I did not refer to even a single word from ACI, just performance statistics were picked from ACI.

2. I have driven Altis D for a short distance. It is sluggish. Ill post proper TD report soon.

3.The Altis interiors are well built but in comparison to Civic, Laura and Jetta the design and quality feels built to a price.

4.Dynamics and Interiors are part of the package, they do matter to me.

Note from Mod : GTO's review has been uploaded at this link. Please continue the Altis D-4D discussion over on that review thread.

This thread = closed

Last edited by GTO : 2nd August 2010 at 11:53. Reason: Adding thread closure note
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks