Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2010, 18:36   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Only the Laura L&K has the 140bhp engine.

Jetta and other Laura variants have the 110bhp mill. So Toyota should be pretty well placed with a ~ 90bhp spec.

The rental cab market will relish this model. More so if a stripped down lower end variant is launched.
Very good point. Thats what even I was thinking. Only the high end guys get the 140 BHP. Basic ones are all 110. From that point of view it should be OK.
Old 4th May 2010, 21:41   #62
Senior - BHPian

Toyota had launched a stripped down version earlier called the Executive for the earlier generation.But i think they will price the diesel at quite a premium,and stay away from the rental market.
Old 4th May 2010, 22:16   #63
oss
BHPian

It is good strategy by Toyota to enter with the 1.4 D4-D. They can very wel bring in a 2L version later on and price it higher.
Old 4th May 2010, 23:49   #64
BHPian

Whoa !! Finally the Altis Diesel.

I'll be like Fortuner, if not better to Toyota. I'm sure. I know a lot of people who opt for Skoda or VW or Chevrolet just because Toyota and Honda don't have any diesel sedan to offer in the range. Any guess when it'll be launched?
Old 5th May 2010, 00:19   #65
Senior - BHPian

Honda ... !! WAKE UP NOW!!

Diesel options in the City, Civic, Accord and even the CRV will really boost your sales!!

Last edited by GTO : 6th May 2010 at 12:41. Reason: No inappropriate language on Team-BHP please
Old 5th May 2010, 02:18   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
This is good news .About the Fortuner ,one long drive in it and I fail to understand as to how does it command such a fan following .
Well, you are right about the ride quality. IMO, people buy Fortuner because it is considered as a smaller version of Prado. In reality, it is not. Prado diesel uses uses the same engine though.

It is a pretty good SUV - Less wiring - complexity but a pure SUV.

It is from Toyota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Honda ... WAKE UP NOW!!

Diesel options in the City, Civic, Accord and even the CRV will really boost your sales!!
A diesel version of CRV and Accord is on its way. I don't think there is going to be a Civic and City's diesel version.

Last edited by GTO : 6th May 2010 at 12:41. Reason: Editing quoted post that has been edited
Old 5th May 2010, 02:40   #67
Max
BHPian

if toyota started its pricing around 10L, it will KILL HONDA CITY sales.
Old 5th May 2010, 09:02   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
if toyota started its pricing around 10L, it will KILL HONDA CITY sales.
You can't expect a Toyota badge vehicle for a less premium to Honda which is below the class.
I'm sure they will set the price over the roof. If not atleast in the range of Laura.

1.6 D-4D would be idle for Altis & let the 1.4 D-4D goes into Etios sedan.

Last edited by Praveen1 : 5th May 2010 at 09:04.
Old 5th May 2010, 10:27   #69
BHPian

A car with Diesel, Toyota's Reliability and Economy is anyways going to be hit with Taxi market.

My Getz CRDi gives around 19kmpl and I have done 15000 kilometers in it. So far i am spending 1.98 Rs for a kilometer. By the time i would reach 50000 kilometers i think i will be doing 1.60 Rs for a kilometer. With its claimed economy a taxi operator would be doing around 1.4 Rs to the kilometer for Altis; and because this is a semi-luxury car they will charge anywhere between 15 to 20 Rs for a kilometer from the guest (maybe even more). Thats an operating profit margin of around 500% (even after deducting service charges). Thats one of the highest by any industry standard (maybe, discounting the soft drink industry).

Even if they don't come with a corporate edition this is gonna be a huge hit with hotels and car rentals. They would certainly prefer this on anything else for their guests.

and if they come with a 1.4 liter diesel engine they will surely get excise benefits.

Last edited by pb10gagan : 5th May 2010 at 10:34.
Old 5th May 2010, 11:38   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post

and if they come with a 1.4 liter diesel engine they will surely get excise benefits.
Probably no as for the Excise benefits, the car length has to be less than 4 mtrs, Petrol Engine < 1200cc or Diesel < 1500cc

but yes, it is definitely going to be a hit with Luxury Taxi operators, Imagine a lot of them going from ANHC to the Altis just because of the Diesel

Last edited by shantanumishra : 5th May 2010 at 11:40.
Old 5th May 2010, 13:45   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Only the Laura L&K has the 140bhp engine.

Jetta and other Laura variants have the 110bhp mill. So Toyota should be pretty well placed with a ~ 90bhp spec.
Nope. You got it wrong.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-launched.html
Attached Thumbnails
Diesel Toyota Altis confirmed! ARAI FE of 21.43 kpl. Update: Now Launched!-saa.jpg  

Old 5th May 2010, 15:17   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post
A car with Diesel, Toyota's Reliability and Economy is anyways going to be hit with Taxi market.

My Getz CRDi gives around 19kmpl and I have done 15000 kilometers in it. So far i am spending 1.98 Rs for a kilometer. By the time i would reach 50000 kilometers i think i will be doing 1.60 Rs for a kilometer. With its claimed economy a taxi operator would be doing around 1.4 Rs to the kilometer for Altis; and because this is a semi-luxury car they will charge anywhere between 15 to 20 Rs for a kilometer from the guest (maybe even more). Thats an operating profit margin of around 500% (even after deducting service charges). Thats one of the highest by any industry standard (maybe, discounting the soft drink industry).

Even if they don't come with a corporate edition this is gonna be a huge hit with hotels and car rentals. They would certainly prefer this on anything else for their guests.

Its not that simple.
Who is going to calculate vehicle depreciation cost per km? (taking vehicle life at 3 lac km)
Who is goign to calcualte the service charges and consumables (once every 5000/10000 km)
Who is goign to calculate the interest on loan amount?
Driver's salary?
Regular "Hafta/setting" at other city/state police?

If anything, the taxi operations is pretty cut throat business, and only the ones that have huge fleet - they can survive and make singificant profits
Old 6th May 2010, 12:47   #73
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Altis has absolutely no enthusiastic aspirations, and while a bigger diesel engine is preferred, Toyota knows that the market's top priority is fuel efficiency. For someone like my Dad, an Altis diesel is the perfect car. Light controls when he drives himself, great backseat when being chauffeur-driven, easy ingress / egress, Swift-diesel like fuel efficiency and typical Toyota stuff (precision build, reliability, after-sales etc.). Talk to him about more power and his standard reply will be "Sure, where are the roads in India to use that power?"

The Altis is supposed to be a commuter tool worldwide...an appliance that takes people from point A to point B with zero fuss (and emotion). It's for the market segment (which forms a majority in India BTW) that wants an all-rounded package with high fuel efficiency. If priced well, in the customers eyes, the Altis diesel will be the perfect C segment sedan. Us enthusiasts will have to look at a segment lower, or then at the Cruze, Laura, Sonata etc.

P.S. I hope Dad's not reading this post
Old 6th May 2010, 13:04   #74
BHPian

The diesel engine specs dont seem very encouraging for the enthusiasts. I am counting days of Laura L&K PD DSG with me and will soon start searching for a replacement. At current budgets, Cruze AT and Laura CR AT make sense- given that on long highway runs, comfort , safety and speed- all matter well. Laura is economical (FE)too but given the horror stories, I am worried , very worried.
Old 6th May 2010, 18:42   #75
Senior - BHPian

I am not too sure about the "Toyota Diesel Taxi" theory. Firstly, I do not feel this is a segment Toyota would be targetting. Its safe to say that it is a very image concious brand and would not like to be labelled as a "hit with the taxi waalas". Remember the very successful Qualis? They could have very well sold the hit formula next to the Innova and you can rest assured the taxi market would have lapped it up. Although there are quite a few Innova taxis puttering about in the cities, I m sure an Innova owner (private user) would not get the feeling of him buying a taxi. This sentiment was not mirrored by the Qualis owners.

Moreover, for a diesel taxi sedan, there are other (cheaper) options in the market. Maybe a few Diesel Altis taxis in hotels etc, but no way will this be a taxi thing.

Btw, when is it scheduled for launch?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks