Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2010, 19:13   #121
Team-BHP Support

Can they really get the same engine tuned separately for the two segments. Highly unlikely. They may have a 1.2L diesel for Etios. Else the whole idea would fall on their face.
Old 24th June 2010, 14:16   #122
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishaanranderia View Post
Well I spoke to Lakozy Toyota and he confirmed the diesel will be available on 25th July with them. He said it should be a Lakh more than the corresponding petrol variant. (Dont know if there will be an automatic) Also he told me that there will not be any face lift. What i want to clarify is, what is this talk of the vehicle being brought in through the CKD route, i mean aren't they only going to replace the engine?
Only manual, no automatic will be launched as of now.
Old 24th June 2010, 14:43   #123
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Looks like this will be another Fortuner with crazy bookings and crazy premiums.
Your comment made me !

But seriously, an Altis diesel will do to the 12 lakh segment just what the Fortuner did to 20 lakh SUVs. It will completely annihilate the competition. Lets not forget that the Altis petrol is already king of the C+ segment; the Civic, Laura, Jetta and Cruze better be worried. If a petrol Altis can outsell its diesel competitors in a diesel-crazy India, we can only imagine how the market is going to lap up its oil-burning sister.

Price it well, Toyota. Don't go overboard.
Old 24th June 2010, 21:54   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ According to ACI the diesel version of the Altis will be priced at a 75k to 1.25L premium over Petrol version. The diesel version is expected to sport a different grille and lights.
Old 24th June 2010, 23:10   #125
BANNED

skoda better beware !! BTW any idea when Altis Diesel is launched.

This launch is much needed in a c+ Diesel segment. If it is launched i cant think of the sorry state of CHEVVY CRUZE

Come on toyota give us a hint
Old 25th June 2010, 05:10   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
skoda better beware !! BTW any idea when Altis Diesel is launched.

This launch is much needed in a c+ Diesel segment. If it is launched i cant think of the sorry state of CHEVVY CRUZE

Come on toyota give us a hint
I think we all have been discussing it that it's going to be launched around 21st of July

BTW has anyone seen how the new design looks in the flesh
Old 25th June 2010, 09:14   #127
Senior - BHPian

Finally the launch seems not far away. Just under a month.

I hope that Toyota is running double or even triple shifts because this car's wait time would be even bigger than the Fortuner. My guess is that Sep onwards Corolla should be selling upwards of 2000+ or more Corollas due to the brand, engine and FE.

Toyota has really turned around things in last 2 years - newer Corolla, more features and a well priced Fortuner. With Etios coming, they seem to doing everything right. Kudos to them.
Old 25th June 2010, 14:07   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
I hope that Toyota is running double or even triple shifts because this car's wait time would be even bigger than the Fortuner. My guess is that Sep onwards Corolla should be selling upwards of 2000+ or more Corollas due to the brand, engine and FE.
+1
The ANHC sells 4k units a month despite its price of Rs. 9-12 lakhs. Shows that expensive cars can also notch hatchback like numbers if they appeal. I am sure that driven by Diesel demand, the Altis can also hit unheard-of numbers (3k? 4k?) for its segment. God save customers from 3-month waiting times!

IMO the Civics of the world will come back and fight another day (makes me happy thinking of such a day ), but its the Laura that will take a huge hit. While Skoda makes fine cars, the main reason for their success is their near monopoly in the diesel sedan market (Chevy products somehow don't capture customers' imaginations - Optra through Magnum through Cruze). I think it will now become very difficult for a diesel sedan buyer to justify choosing a Skoda over a bulletproof-reliable Toyota. Wonder how many petrol Lauras does Skoda sell these days.
Old 25th June 2010, 14:18   #129
BHPian

Well The Altis is going to be only 90BHP but since its a Toyota Im sure no one will complain about it being underpowered . Now The Chevy Cruze has almost 60 more horses than the Altis and the other features offered are much more so I doubt if the diesel altis will eat so much into Cruze's sales but one things for sure this being the first diesel sedan from Toyota its surely going to take a shot at its segment competitors all we have to wait and see is which brand gets hit the worst. What I feel is the maximum number of customers will be the brand concious ones who wanted a Japanese C+ segment diesel. Honda better be worried more than other brands.

Last edited by MihirC : 25th June 2010 at 14:22.
Old 25th June 2010, 14:55   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
Well The Altis is going to be only 90BHP but since its a Toyota Im sure no one will complain about it being underpowered . Now The Chevy Cruze has almost 60 more horses than the Altis and the other features offered are much more so I doubt if the diesel altis will eat so much into Cruze's sales but one things for sure this being the first diesel sedan from Toyota its surely going to take a shot at its segment competitors all we have to wait and see is which brand gets hit the worst. What I feel is the maximum number of customers will be the brand concious ones who wanted a Japanese C+ segment diesel. Honda better be worried more than other brands.
with MihirC

In light of the competition (Laura & Cruze), I have no doubt that Corolla will never be able to match the performance of these cars with 1.4l 90 BHP engine. This car's true competitors, in performance terms could be Linea & Manza Diesels (car size also considered by me).
But, Indian market FE figures rule the roost. The worst affected will no doubt will be Honda, especially the City Automatic.
Old 25th June 2010, 15:15   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
Well The Altis is going to be only 90BHP but since its a Toyota Im sure no one will complain about it being underpowered .
Well, no ones called Octy underpowered even when it had only 90 horses. It could still do a 0-100 in 13.x seconds. No one called NHC underpowered with 77 horses. It was sprightly and again did a 100 in 13.x seconds.

Lets see what the car can do before calling it underpowered. Reviews i read mentioned the engine to be quite tractable and having not much turbo lag. For all you it it might be much easier to drive around it city than the Cruze which is 60 horses more.
Old 25th June 2010, 16:01   #132
PCS
BHPian

Awesome Comment Sky walker !!!

I agree to you

When Octavia was launched , 10 yrs back, 90 bhp was not considered underpowered

Any how , i think this will rock the segment

EARLIER = CHOOSE to CRUZE

NOW= CRUISE to ALTIS ????
Old 25th June 2010, 16:02   #133
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Skywalker
Neither the 90 bhp Octy nor the 77 bhp NHC did 0-100 in 13.x seconds.

Yep the Octy was quite drivable due to the torque advantage. The figure you have may have been of the petrol Octy.
Old 25th June 2010, 17:19   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Skywalker
Neither the 90 bhp Octy nor the 77 bhp NHC did 0-100 in 13.x seconds.

Yep the Octy was quite drivable due to the torque advantage. The figure you have may have been of the petrol Octy.
dude, please check your facts before posting and you could avoid foot(or mouse, if you will ) -in-the mouth syndrome.

Octavia TDI 0-100 13.62 seconds - source ACI
NHC 77 bhp 0-100 13.11 seconds - source ACI

The petrol Octy was a serious performer and was in a completely different league. I don't have the numbers right now, but i am guessing its close to 10s or possibly less.
Old 25th June 2010, 19:28   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Well, no ones called Octy underpowered even when it had only 90 horses. It could still do a 0-100 in 13.x seconds. No one called NHC underpowered with 77 horses. It was sprightly and again did a 100 in 13.x seconds.

Lets see what the car can do before calling it underpowered. Reviews i read mentioned the engine to be quite tractable and having not much turbo lag. For all you it it might be much easier to drive around it city than the Cruze which is 60 horses more.

Dude you got me wrong there, in no way did I mean that 90BHP is underpowered. All I meant was irrespective of the fact whether it is underpowered or not no one will complain. For e.g. NHC is 77BHP but it was never considered as underpowered, it could be the gearing ratios which could be the reason at the same time Linea was touted immediately as underpowered, which it is actually not.

PS: checkout this thread here a debate is going on on the accuracy of the figures mentioned in car magazines http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-launch-3.html

Last edited by MihirC : 25th June 2010 at 19:44.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks