Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2010, 11:06   #1
PCS
BHPian

Diesel Toyota Altis confirmed! ARAI FE of 21.43 kpl. Update: Now Launched!

Guys Some Imp Info !!!

One Of My Distant Relatives Friends Works For Arai

He Said Corolla Diesel Has Finished Arai Testing And The Arai Mileage For Corolla Diesel Is 21.43 Kmpl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More Than Swift D & Ritz D

Note from Mod : GTO's review has been uploaded at this link. Please continue the Altis D-4D discussion over on that review thread.

This thread = closed

Last edited by GTO : 2nd August 2010 at 11:55. Reason: Adding thread closure note + link to test-drive
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:32   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS View Post
He Said Corolla Diesel Has Finished Arai Testing And The Arai Mileage For Corolla Diesel Is 21.43 Kmpl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is fantastic news! The Altis is already at the top of the C+ segment in terms of sales; with a fuel-efficient diesel, they'll repeat a "Fortuner" success story If I were Skoda, I'd be very worried.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd May 2010 at 16:37.
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:41   #3
Team-BHP Support

Typically, after getting an ARAI testing & certification, how long will it take for the car to hit the markets?

I'm surprised that the Altis petrol is thrashing the Civic in sales. Isn't the Altis just a cosmetic upgrade over the Corolla?
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Whoa ! When you thought the DDiS were hi-mileage hatches, here comes a proper sedan that betters it. BTW, what diesel engine is used in the Altis ?
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:54   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Great news, this defiantly will be a hit in the market. I just hope they manage to get the refinement levels fine, the Fortuner and Innova can be passed off with lesser refined engines thanks to their size. But in a sedan you certainly do need good refinement levels.

I hope they do offer an automatic version on this and not the 4 speed this time !
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:54   #6
BHPian

Now that certainly is good news. A diesel sedan beating the heck out of the diesel hatchbacks in terms of mileage, talk about going green .
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:55   #7
MAS
Senior - BHPian

That is awesome news.

I hope they did not plonk a tweaked Innova diesel into the Altis and price it at 14-15 Lakhs for the base version. I am worried after what they did with Prado Diesel. If it is a brand new engine, it would be very interesting.

It looks as though Toyota has upped its game and Honda looks far behind.
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That is fantastic news! The Altis is already at the top of the C+ segment in terms of sales; with a fuel-efficient diesel, they'll repeat a "Fortuner" success story If I were Skoda, I'd be very worried.

This is good news .About the Fortuner ,one long drive in it and I fail to understand as to how does it command such a fan following .
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Is this the combined cycle (80% city, 20% highway), or just the highway mileage? If it's the former, then it's indeed impressive. I hope pulling and cruising power have not been sacrificed in the quest for high FE.

Last edited by Gilead : 3rd May 2010 at 17:06.
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Now this is some news.... I ain't sure what took Toyota to bring it in.. Whatever it is, Skoda might be having wet pants for sure
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

So finally!! Its been a long wait.

So is this the death knell for CIVIC and to some extent the CRUZE?
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

That's interesting news. The engine must be 1.6L minimum (by Toyota FE standards). Definitely has the potential of sales success, provided they can optimize production to ensure shorter waiting periods (unlike the Fortuner). Nevertheless it will be success story from the company's perspective.
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Typically, after getting an ARAI testing & certification, how long will it take for the car to hit the markets?

I'm surprised that the Altis petrol is thrashing the Civic in sales. Isn't the Altis just a cosmetic upgrade over the Corolla?
Should be within 6 months, unless Toyota decides to launch it later, but market forces push most launches before Diwali/ Navratri.
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
That is awesome news.

I hope they did not plonk a tweaked Innova diesel into the Altis and price it at 14-15 Lakhs for the base version. I am worried after what they did with Prado Diesel. If it is a brand new engine, it would be very interesting.

It looks as though Toyota has upped its game and Honda looks far behind.
Looking at price diff between petrol & diesel innova which is < 1 Lakh Rs, I believe the difference between engines should not stretch more than 1 lakh in every variant.
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:10   #15
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Looking at price diff between petrol & diesel innova which is < 1 Lakh Rs, I believe the difference between engines should not stretch more than 1 lakh in every variant.
I hope they follow that unsaid rule. But sometimes Toyota get carried away from logic.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed