Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2010, 17:16   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Finally we can have a good diesel sedan without the worries of Skoda maintenance. Personally, I feel that Skoda Laura sells in decent numbers since there is no competition in that price range for someone who wants diesel. Now Cruze is the only option if you don't want a Laura TDI. The diesel Altis will bring further competition to this category. It will definitely be top of my list. I am really concerned about the Laura's reliability and maintenance costs. The Cruze is a good drivers car, however the back seats are not very comfortable and my parents usually end up sitting there for long trips and they vetoed the Cruze due to back seat dis-comfort...
Old 22nd June 2010, 17:47   #107
rbp
BHPian

Had been to a Toyota Showroom to book an Innova, the manager over there (a friend of my bro) once again confirmed that the Altis is getting launched on 21st July in Delhi, he also mentioned that he has driven the car, and the performance is very good, he specifically mentioned dont go by the spec sheet, the car performs better than the spec sheet, it can pull from 30kph in 4th gear, and the noise insulation is fantastic is what he mentioned. Price 1 lakh more than the petrol top end, but the dealers are worried that it will kill the petrol altis and hence wanted a higher price :(.
Old 22nd June 2010, 19:27   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Had been to a Toyota Showroom to book an Innova, the manager over there (a friend of my bro) once again confirmed that the Altis is getting launched on 21st July in Delhi, he also mentioned that he has driven the car, and the performance is very good, he specifically mentioned dont go by the spec sheet, the car performs better than the spec sheet, it can pull from 30kph in 4th gear, and the noise insulation is fantastic is what he mentioned. Price 1 lakh more than the petrol top end, but the dealers are worried that it will kill the petrol altis and hence wanted a higher price :(.
Do you mean that the 1.4L Altis will be priced over Petrol 1.8L Altis? I believe that they are primarily aiming the Taxi market, with initial impetus on the individual customers.

Or there is some other engine option. And, does good performance for Toyota (not Lexus) means that the the car be able to beat the similar sized Manza in drag race .

I am also eager for the Toyota Altis with Diesel Engine (Toyota is my favourite car brand), but, somehow, the car specs do not appeal to me. I know the FE, Reliability, etc will be top notch...
Old 22nd June 2010, 20:24   #109
PCS
BHPian

Scoop !!! Autocar Mentions It Has 6 Speed Gearbox. Awesome

1st In Segment In Manual Transmission , As Laura, Octavia, Cruze , Jetta And Optra Have 5 Speed In Manual Transmission
Old 22nd June 2010, 20:44   #110
BHPian

any idea if it will be the face lifted model, though i don't think it would be the case
Old 22nd June 2010, 21:30   #111
Team-BHP Support

This seems like purchase for a lifetime!
Buy and forget that you need buy again!

I would really wait for this !
Old 22nd June 2010, 21:37   #112
BHPian

I am sure its going to be a super performer but it definitely needs to look good on the spec sheet too.
How will it stand competition with the jetta, laura, octavio and if I may add the verna too the list too considering even the verna is a 1.5
Don't know what is toyota trying to pull off with this engine option.
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:43   #113
BHPian

6 speed manual .....

eW
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS View Post
Scoop !!! Autocar Mentions It Has 6 Speed Gearbox. Awesome

1st In Segment In Manual Transmission , As Laura, Octavia, Cruze , Jetta And Optra Have 5 Speed In Manual Transmission
Went to give my altis to the Bodyshop as some idiot banged into the bumper while it was parked...... and the Service advisor confirmed over coffee that he drove the manual 6 speed diesel from Delhi to their research office in Manesar. He was no sure about the possibleblaunh date as the car was supposedly still under testing. However he confirmed that was as powerful as the petrol sibling and was himself surprised at the extremely low engine noise levels. He touched a top speed of 150+ on NH8. Damn..... I already seem to regret my decision of purchasing an automatic Altis last year!!!
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:59   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Pricing a 1.4 D higher than the 1.8 petrol is madness.
For the difference in engine size, it should be cheaper by 1 lakh.
Old 23rd June 2010, 01:08   #115
BHPian

Its actually a genius idea to price the diesel above the petrol engine. This way, they can maximize profits as its a known fact in India that diesels sell better than their petrol counterparts. This may result in a drop in the price of the current Altis. And this means petrol heads win!
Old 23rd June 2010, 07:55   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Looks like this will be another Fortuner with crazy bookings and crazy premiums. Man you got to give it to Toyota how they can just kill the competition when the feel like. Unfortunately many times, they are just very lazy...

Look how many light years, it took them to launch the Fortuner and deisel Corolla in India
Old 23rd June 2010, 09:01   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Looks like this will be another Fortuner with crazy bookings and crazy premiums. Man you got to give it to Toyota how they can just kill the competition when the feel like. Unfortunately many times, they are just very lazy...

Look how many light years, it took them to launch the Fortuner and deisel Corolla in India
Though they are lazy as a goose, but when they get active, the competition will definitely run for cover when it comes to getting the cars off the showroom floor.

With Toyota, we should at least be happy with "Better Late Than Never"
Old 23rd June 2010, 09:51   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This seems like purchase for a lifetime!
Buy and forget that you need buy again!

I would really wait for this !
Life time purchase? You bet!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
And this means petrol heads win!
On the contrary, the petrol unit might die a slow death, people will slowly migrate to the diesel counterpart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Looks like this will be another Fortuner with crazy bookings and crazy premiums.
I think its time for us to book and sell the allotment in the grey market

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Though they are lazy as a goose, but when they get active, the competition will definitely run for cover when it comes to getting the cars off the showroom floor.

With Toyota, we should at least be happy with "Better Late Than Never"
I see a segment leader for a long time in this car.
Old 23rd June 2010, 14:53   #119
BHPian

If this comes with a 1.4L diesel, what diesel engine will go into Etios Sedan. Does Toyota have a smaller diesel engine or Etios will not have diesel option?
Old 23rd June 2010, 18:37   #120
BHPian

Well I spoke to Lakozy Toyota and he confirmed the diesel will be available on 25th July with them. He said it should be a Lakh more than the corresponding petrol variant. (Dont know if there will be an automatic) Also he told me that there will not be any face lift. What i want to clarify is, what is this talk of the vehicle being brought in through the CKD route, i mean aren't they only going to replace the engine?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks