Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2010, 19:33   #136
Senior - BHPian

We've all debated on how well the 1.3 liter diesel pulls along a Linea. I'm curious to see how a 1.4 liter will pull a Altis is one segment larger.
Old 26th June 2010, 10:30   #137
PCS
BHPian

fuel price rise !

and corolla diesel is here. what a timing
Old 26th June 2010, 10:53   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
We've all debated on how well the 1.3 liter diesel pulls along a Linea. I'm curious to see how a 1.4 liter will pull a Altis is one segment larger.
with Mpower. 90 bhp power is not independent of the torque figure & car weight. These factors need to be considered before we pronounce any judgement as to whether the car would be a performer or not.

Further, the new 6 speed manual gear box seems tuned for efficiency rather than outright performance. I have my doubts that the car will be enthusiasts' car.

But, no doubt the sales will be higher because of badge snobbery & high mileage.
Old 26th June 2010, 15:31   #139
BHPian

The toyota dealer in Mumbai insists that the diesel model comes with only a minor facelift (almost identical to the current car) and not the major face lift as seen on the European corollas, anyone know about this
Old 27th June 2010, 10:44   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishaanranderia View Post
The toyota dealer in Mumbai insists that the diesel model comes with only a minor facelift (almost identical to the current car) and not the major face lift as seen on the European corollas, anyone know about this
ACI mentions a new design front grill and new shaped headlamps. To be honest the images shown in the magazine gives it a distinctly different look. But cant comment if it qualifies as a major facelift or a minor one.
Old 27th June 2010, 13:59   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
ACI mentions a new design front grill and new shaped headlamps. To be honest the images shown in the magazine gives it a distinctly different look. But cant comment if it qualifies as a major facelift or a minor one.
Yes. They have a snap of the same. Just picked-up a copy yesterday.
They also mention the launch date to be third week of July.

Last edited by ampere : 27th June 2010 at 14:01.
Old 27th June 2010, 14:06   #142
PCS
BHPian

guys called the dealer and he said that the grill is not as mentioned by ACI.

he said its a diff grille

ALSO GUYS YOUR COMMENT ON THIS

is 1.4 with 6 speed the new benchmark ?

cause hyundai i20 and corolla diesel have lot of similarities

1.4 engine
90 bhp
6 speed transmission
not much diff in weight ( max 50 kgs diff i guess ???)
Old 27th June 2010, 16:16   #143
BHPian

So from what i've found out the new grille looks like this. And in all possibility this is how the diesel altis will look.
Old 27th June 2010, 19:38   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishaanranderia View Post
So from what i've found out the new grille looks like this. And in all possibility this is how the diesel altis will look.
This facelift is looking much better than the the one displayed in ACI and suits the Altis, much more classier and upmarket IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS View Post
guys called the dealer and he said that the grill is not as mentioned by ACI.

he said its a diff grille

ALSO GUYS YOUR COMMENT ON THIS

is 1.4 with 6 speed the new benchmark ?

cause hyundai i20 and corolla diesel have lot of similarities

1.4 engine
90 bhp
6 speed transmission
not much diff in weight ( max 50 kgs diff i guess ???)
Mate it might be 1.4,90bhp,6 speed transmission engine but the only similarity I guess, would be only in the numbers , the engine tune up and driving characterstics would be completely different. Also the different in the i20 and current altis is around 200 kgs mate and that affects a lot of things . The magazine has not mentioned the torque number, I feel the torque would play a vital role if you compare the 2 cars.

Last edited by MihirC : 27th June 2010 at 19:46.
Old 28th June 2010, 01:11   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
The magazine has not mentioned the torque number, I feel the torque would play a vital role if you compare the 2 cars.
The news on the web is that the torque id about 20kgm but at what rpm it utilizes all the torque is not known
Old 28th June 2010, 02:47   #146
BHPian

wow. sometimes minor changes change a lot. Just the grille change and the car looks a class higher, with classy looks.

When i went to toyota showroom couple of months back for booking an innova for my friend this car's(petrol) majestic presence in the showroom tempted me and my dad so much that we took a test drive unfortunately both of us had a different imagination about the car's performance keeping in mind its a 1.8L petrol with 132bhps. We expected it to be very enthusiastic but it was very executive, infact i felt the was dull in first and second gear acceleration.
with 1.4L and 90bhp i dont think it will be enthusiastic. however it wont be sluggish either. hope it has a VGT which takes care of it.
inspite of all this Toyota Brand and refinement and Superior comfort in the class with such high FE figures its still a tempting car.hope toyota doesnt go unreasonable on the price.Price it atleast close to cruze then its sure a hit.
Old 28th June 2010, 10:12   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Our good old Octavia is also Just 90bhp. It does have very good performance and driveability, its very fuel efficient too.
Old 28th June 2010, 10:48   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Our good old Octavia is also Just 90bhp. It does have very good performance and driveability, its very fuel efficient too.

+1 to that. BUT the Octavia is a 1.9L engine. Cubic capacity does have a role, right ? No doubt the "new age engines" can put out more from a smaller cc engine.

I get around 17 kmpl from my Octy on city roads with 100% AC useage, highways 20-21 kmpl

But the Altis (if decent in performance) will eat off a BIG chunk off Skoda - simply because of A.S.S.

Is the ex-showroom pricing out yet ?

The test of the pudding is in the eating ??

Cheers
Old 28th June 2010, 22:14   #149
Team-BHP Support

ACI in this month's copy report spy trials of Etios and say that the disel engine spec is about 1.2L/84BHP. (Petrol is 1.5L, 100BHP).

Looks like that is how Toyota is planning to differentiate Etios and Altis on the diesel. (Assuming ACI is correct).
Old 28th June 2010, 22:34   #150
Senior - BHPian

One question, is this india specific product, this kind of mileage with Corolla would have created ripples in US market. How come the news dint report em?

Toyota come on, how long are you going to make such good cars for the affordable class people alone.
I need cars like these in Rs 5 L range, when VW can so can you. Why dont you be bold enough and take that challenge.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks