Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2010, 03:03   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
+1 to that. BUT the Octavia is a 1.9L engine. Cubic capacity does have a role, right ? No doubt the "new age engines" can put out more from a smaller cc engine.

I get around 17 kmpl from my Octy on city roads with 100% AC useage, highways 20-21 kmpl

But the Altis (if decent in performance) will eat off a BIG chunk off Skoda - simply because of A.S.S.

Is the ex-showroom pricing out yet ?

The test of the pudding is in the eating ??

Cheers
Cubic capacity does matter but a modern engine can make good use of lower cubic capacity as well, and end up being more fuel efficient as well.

Price is rumoured to be ~1 lakh more than the petrol variants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
ACI in this month's copy report spy trials of Etios and say that the disel engine spec is about 1.2L/84BHP. (Petrol is 1.5L, 100BHP).

Looks like that is how Toyota is planning to differentiate Etios and Altis on the diesel. (Assuming ACI is correct).
It really wouldnt make sense to have two different engines, that would just drive up costs. The same 1.4 diesel could be offered in either the same or a slightly different tune, like ford has done with the fiesta and figo. And Im guessing they meant a 1.2 petrol as anything above 1.2 would exceed the small cars excise limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
One question, is this india specific product, this kind of mileage with Corolla would have created ripples in US market. How come the news dint report em?

Toyota come on, how long are you going to make such good cars for the affordable class people alone.
I need cars like these in Rs 5 L range, when VW can so can you. Why dont you be bold enough and take that challenge.
Diesels are not popular in the US, there are hardly any diesel cars on sale even though they have terrific mileage.

The Etios' target was the swift so pricing is expected to be slightly above the swift
Old 29th June 2010, 09:39   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One question, is this india specific product, this kind of mileage with Corolla would have created ripples in US market. How come the news dint report em?
Please do not forget US is a petrol only market. Americans would not love a 1.4L 90hp diesel engine under the hood, for them even the 1.8 VVTi is one of most FE cars. The Altis Diesel is sold in some countries in Europe though.
Old 29th June 2010, 09:50   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

It's coming up in July. Price around 75k to 1lakh more than the petrol model.
Old 29th June 2010, 16:41   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Please do not forget US is a petrol only market. Americans would not love a 1.4L 90hp diesel engine under the hood, for them even the 1.8 VVTi is one of most FE cars. The Altis Diesel is sold in some countries in Europe though.
But I am guessing for those markets which I am guessing European markets. This car would be more tuned for performance than for FE. As they dont care much about the FE factor.
Moreover whoever cares for the FE or the pollution awareness, would generally buy a Hybrid car instead of this.

I am not sure, I am just guessing, this is specific for developing countries market and not available in the developed/ matured markets.

Last edited by xingamazon : 29th June 2010 at 16:42.
Old 29th June 2010, 21:02   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ We will get the engine is same state of tune as rest of the World. That kind of FE is expected from a 1.2litre Diesel from Toyota, Our 3.0Litre Fortuner weighing at least twice that of Altis has now settled at 11kpl Gurgaon traffic.
Old 29th June 2010, 21:15   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One question, is this india specific product, this kind of mileage with Corolla would have created ripples in US market. How come the news dint report em?.
At the moment this seems like a India specific product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The Altis Diesel is sold in some countries in Europe though.
Thats the Auris hatchback. So far there has never been a diesel sedan. Its close but not same.
Old 29th June 2010, 22:06   #157
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
It really wouldnt make sense to have two different engines, that would just drive up costs. The same 1.4 diesel could be offered in either the same or a slightly different tune, like ford has done with the fiesta and figo. And Im guessing they meant a 1.2 petrol as anything above 1.2 would exceed the small cars excise limit.
Ford started using Fiesta engine into Figo only at the Fag end of Fiesta life cycle. Could they have launched Figo and Fiesta with the same diesel engine spec at the same time? May be not!

I agree keeping the same 1.4 would keep the costs down, but Toyota would still need to bargain for an advantage for the Altis engine as compared to the Etios engine. Now if they do not bring Etios Diesel soon but only petrol, then it may be a different ballgame.
Old 30th June 2010, 18:09   #158
Senior - BHPian

The corolla altis IS sold in 1.4 D4D in the EU. I have a brochure of the same from Belgium which I got it in 2008.

And India will be the first country in the ASEAN which will get the diesel corolla.

Their target: eat up and destroy the civic and tear apart the VW/skoda twins. Part by part. Cruze better start be worried. My lil birdie tells me that price will be ultra competitive like the altis petrol. And make that hassle free to own package, and you have a perfect sensible diesel midsizer for the Indian roads. Honda dealers are already a worried lot as it also has the potential to dangerously hit the sales of ANHC, already now crossing 10 lakh barrier.
Old 30th June 2010, 20:21   #159
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The corolla altis IS sold in 1.4 D4D in the EU. I have a brochure of the same from Belgium which I got it in 2008.

And India will be the first country in the ASEAN which will get the diesel corolla.

Their target: eat up and destroy the civic and tear apart the VW/skoda twins. Part by part. Cruze better start be worried. My lil birdie tells me that price will be ultra competitive like the altis petrol. And make that hassle free to own package, and you have a perfect sensible diesel midsizer for the Indian roads. Honda dealers are already a worried lot as it also has the potential to dangerously hit the sales of ANHC, already now crossing 10 lakh barrier.
The way petrol versions is priced, diesel will end up north of 14 OTR minimum for the basic version (at least) and topping at 16-17 for the highest end. That is the segment where Laura/Jetta's basic diesel version would start. They would definitely have to worry. But yes, guys who want to buy VW/Skoda will still end up buying them (as performance options). But for those who want a cheaper version, with the same reliability will downshift (me included!)

City I am not sure, but Civic yes, would be definitely threatened. Coming to Lauras/Jettas/Cruzes, they would then have to worry. Because their OTR start at 16 (North) at the minimum. That is easily a lakh or two below that line. If that becomes the case, we have a winner!
Old 30th June 2010, 22:26   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
Cubic capacity does matter but a modern engine can make good use of lower cubic capacity as well, and end up being more fuel efficient as well.

yup modern engines can produce higher bhps with lower CCs however when it comes to torque the higher capacity engines still have some advantage. So as far as Octy its the CC that gave you that performance.

when i heard that altis is coming with a 1.4 D-4D i felt (i still feel so) that they will go for the 1.2 for the etios to give some differences between segments and get the duty benefit to price the car.

according to what i heard from the sales person from lanson toyota they are planning to price it between 5-7lakhs i think he was telling me the ex-showroom price
Old 1st July 2010, 01:17   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Toyota officials have made it official: Corolla altis diesel coming as CKD in August.
how come our scoopman be so quiet about this one !!I am
sure sid dude you must be already in touch with some dealership about the same. Yes 90 bhp and 6 gears will make it super effecient but will miss on the fun to drive factor

Last edited by m-hawk : 1st July 2010 at 01:19.
Old 1st July 2010, 10:50   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hawk View Post
Yes 90 bhp and 6 gears will make it super effecient but will miss on the fun to drive factor
yup like someone said in 1.2 thread, the future is full of such small and FE engines. if at all they want small engine why dont they go mazda style with rotary engines
Old 1st July 2010, 11:08   #163
BHPian

Considering that Petrol has been deregulated and diesel should soon be completely deregulated in the coming year. How many of us are going to be willing to pay a premium for a diesel engine and deal with higher maintenance cost for what may not amount to large savings !

In any case, I am yawning because this is going to be another boring car from a company with a history of boring cars (We own 2 Innovas, 2 Qualis' and one Corolla) and yet, half of India will line up to buy one, heck, if we need a diesel mid-sizer, we might buy one as well! Toyota never ceases to amaze me
Old 1st July 2010, 11:11   #164
BHPian

If priced competitively, I am really excited to see how Honda react to the Altis Diesel. Perhaps it should teach them a lesson on how to price their cars in the India market.

Let's wait and watch...
Old 1st July 2010, 11:38   #165
BHPian

@imp : i agree the fact these cars not exciting, cause they are not for enthusiast, they are targeted at a different sector.whereas i beg to differ from the high maintenance cost my qualis has done around 1.8L kms and innova has done 53k i feel its much cheaper to maintain them compared to my getz. a general service of the getz costs me 4k whereas its same are something less to service my qualis or innova, i dont know about corolla though.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks