Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2010, 21:29   #166
Senior - BHPian

Hey you got me there Sid. Had never heard of this combo. Apparently it comes with AMT option as well.
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:15   #167
BHPian

Got a call from the local Toyota dealer. The car is being launched on the 20th. It is a 1.4L diesel. FE is as mentioned in the thread title. These are the only details he was sure about.

What surprised me was the price. He says it will cost almost same as the petrol - when I probed further he said 20-30K more. If it is OTR Bangalore, the pricing is excellent. Even if it is ex-showroom, Toyota have got their pricing right.

But I'm really curious to know what the engine is like.

Last edited by CBlazer : 2nd July 2010 at 11:17.
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:02   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhrer View Post
@imp : i agree the fact these cars not exciting, cause they are not for enthusiast, they are targeted at a different sector.whereas i beg to differ from the high maintenance cost my qualis has done around 1.8L kms and innova has done 53k i feel its much cheaper to maintain them compared to my getz. a general service of the getz costs me 4k whereas its same are something less to service my qualis or innova, i dont know about corolla though.
I paid around 3.2 K for the 50K service recently of my corolla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
Got a call from the local Toyota dealer. The car is being launched on the 20th. It is a 1.4L diesel. FE is as mentioned in the thread title. These are the only details he was sure about.

What surprised me was the price. He says it will cost almost same as the petrol - when I probed further he said 20-30K more. If it is OTR Bangalore, the pricing is excellent. Even if it is ex-showroom, Toyota have got their pricing right.

But I'm really curious to know what the engine is like.
As I assumed it ought to be a cheaper one, reason being toyota know there major buyer will be taxi and hotel fleets. They some can sell top end model @ a premium but not the base or base +1 model.

Last edited by ashthedivx : 3rd July 2010 at 11:04.
Old 3rd July 2010, 12:10   #169
Team-BHP Support

But nevertheless excellent pricing indeed! If what the dealer says, holds true, Honda would be caught in an Altis storm.
In fact this should have happened, when Altis was launched. It would have the best sense then.

Anyway better late than never.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd July 2010 at 12:11.
Old 3rd July 2010, 19:17   #170
BHPian

Unlikely that it will be priced only 20-30k more than the petrol. That will completely kill sales of the petrol model. I expect it to be priced in line with the earlier news, ie ~1 lakh more than the petrol. They might offer a slightly stripped down model for the taxi segment or fleet buyers though
Old 3rd July 2010, 21:56   #171
Senior - BHPian

Though the figures of 24 odd kmpl is good news to hears. My doubts are if its a 1.4 L, if proven to be true its a pure waste of an car according to me.

I really doubt the capability of the car, now that its known to be an Indian specific car, with a meagre 1.4l engine (the performance I guess would be a child's play).
The 1.4L is a category for hatch back ones, even entry sedans lack power with them.

That being the case, Altis being a category of premium sedan is a mockery of consumers to provide this much smaller engine. I bet the power to weight ratio would be horrible.

P.S. No doubt with this they can afford to provide at petrol price. I would recommend no buy, unless priced equal to an Fiesta, cos thats where it belongs.
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:12   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ The performance of turbocharged engine cannot be predicted by just looking at cubic capacity figures. The Altis Diesel is expected to have 90bhp with lots of torque, the Octavia with same power figures offered very good performance so i would reserve my comments on performance until i actually drive the car.

Altis under no circumstances will be sold at same price as Fiesta.

Last edited by .anshuman : 3rd July 2010 at 22:13.
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:16   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^ The performance of turbocharged engine cannot be predicted by just looking at cubic capacity figures. The Altis Diesel is expected to have 90bhp with lots of torque, the Octavia with same power figures offered very good performance so i would reserve my comments on performance until i actually drive the car.

Altis under no circumstances will be sold at same price as Fiesta.
Kindly do not comment before test driving.

Altis price = Fiesta price ??

Any one day dreaming ??
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:20   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

The Altis Diesel is expected to look like this.
Diesel Toyota Altis confirmed! ARAI FE of 21.43 kpl. Update: Now Launched!-2010_toyota_corolla_altis_diesel.jpg
Source

Last edited by .anshuman : 3rd July 2010 at 22:32.
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:52   #175
BHPian

Could be grossly under powered;lets hope I am wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The Altis Diesel is expected to look like this.
Attachment 379859
Source
Read the engine specs in that link and you can tell the site is talking bull. The site claims the engine to be a 2500cc engine and a CRDI petrol at that with 102 PS power and 200NM torque. The editor is taking too much weed I presume.

I am planning to get GM approved tuning from IRMSCHER which does not void warranty in Germany for my CRUZE to increase torque; I wonder how the Altis diesel will perform compared to this. At present the warranty will be void according to the GM dealer here in Cochin.

Chevrolet Cruze Irmscher Edition Packs 186 Horsepower - autoevolution

AMI 2010: Chevrolet Cruze Irmscher Edition with 186HP - Carscoop
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:58   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post

Altis price = Fiesta price ??

Any one day dreaming ??
Ashthedivx,
Please note the words that I have used, I have mentioned I guess and also words like I think.
Cos just like everyone I am guessing about the car.

I have not said that Altis would be coming at fiesta price. I am saying Altis should be coming at Fiesta price, as all they can offer is a smaller engine. For such a big car.

Quote:
P.S. Not sure why people say these everytime in expected car thread.
I mean if people are only supposed to comment post test drive, then there is no point having a thread of this sort.
As its pretty known that no one who post in thread like this would have made a test drive. No point in mentioning this dialog in expected cars thread.
Old 3rd July 2010, 23:27   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Ashthedivx,
Please note the words that I have used, I have mentioned I guess and also words like I think.
Cos just like everyone I am guessing about the car.

I have not said that Altis would be coming at fiesta price. I am saying Altis should be coming at Fiesta price, as all they can offer is a smaller engine. For such a big car.
Well, I didn't wanted to do it but would like to repeat your words over here

Quote:
I really doubt the capability of the car, now that its known to be an Indian specific car, with a meagre 1.4l engine (the performance I guess would be a child's play). The 1.4L is a category for hatch back ones, even entry sedans lack power with them.

That being the case, Altis being a category of premium sedan is a mockery of consumers to provide this much smaller engine. I bet the power to weight ratio would be horrible.
It clearly indicates the weighatge you are trying to empose on your guesses based on some figures only. Let's not go further but we have a very health example of 90bhp octavia tdi where-in bhp ain't only the role player but still octavia tdi is vanilla performance car for sure.

Quote:
P.S. Not sure why people say these everytime in expected car thread.
I mean if people are only supposed to comment post test drive, then there is no point having a thread of this sort.
As its pretty known that no one who post in thread like this would have made a test drive. No point in mentioning this dialog in expected cars thread.
Since via this threads are the one where-in we are trying to have a healthy discussion over impact of Altis diesel over the market and competition. When one haven't done any sort of test drives or do not even know the exact engine specs how can one even think of performance of the car. I was just trying to ring a bell of reminder and as .anshuman said he will be reserving his comments after test drive only which I found a very valid thing.

Before test driving a to-be-launched car, every point regarding performance is just in air and needs a valid proof for sure. One must not impose his/her guesses over the community. This thread might be watched by many future buyers of the said model and being an influential automotive forum one must also understand power of his comments over such topics before posting.
Old 4th July 2010, 01:28   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
I paid around 3.2 K for the 50K service recently of my corolla.
they charged only 3.6k for my innova 50k service its pretty much the same and in both cases its very cheap. in your case its a 12L premium sedan and my case cost is close but more than that its a huge diesel wan, which makes it the best VFM

Quote:
I really doubt the capability of the car, now that its known to be an Indian specific car, with a meagre 1.4l engine (the performance I guess would be a child's play).
The 1.4L is a category for hatch back ones, even entry sedans lack power with them.

P.S. No doubt with this they can afford to provide at petrol price. I would recommend no buy, unless priced equal to an Fiesta, cos thats where it belongs.
I guess only in India its a premium car. in dubai most of the taxis are corolla and camry(now many will call this a disgrace but according to me if a car sells more numbers in taxis it means its a very economical and reliable one which makes it a good deal) and the most sold engine is a 1.3 petrol so i dont think its india specific.

your quote on price though it has a small engine everything else is almost 1.5 times bigger so keeping in mind the fiesta diesel sells 9L upwards 13L or more for a corolla is a good price. i really wish there is a dead down basic variant for that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Read the engine specs in that link and you can tell the site is talking bull. The site claims the engine to be a 2500cc engine and a CRDI petrol at that with 102 PS power and 200NM torque. The editor is taking too much weed I presume.
[/url]
2.5L 102 bhp crdi is the engine what we get in innova may be its available with this engine in some other country. with this engine it will be great car but crdi petrol
Old 4th July 2010, 02:50   #179
BHPian

Taxis wallahs buy only those cars which are very reliable and have low running and maintenance costs. In many European countries even Mercs are used taxis, so this does not make the Mercs a cheap car.

In fact I see it as a certificate of reliability and hassle free ownership.
Old 4th July 2010, 10:02   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
Taxis wallahs buy only those cars which are very reliable and have low running and maintenance costs. In many European countries even Mercs are used taxis, so this does not make the Mercs a cheap car.

In fact I see it as a certificate of reliability and hassle free ownership.
Interesting that this is the comment for TOYOTAs being used as Taxis.

For the same TATA/Mahindra vehicles being used as Taxis, the comment would be like "Oh tata means taxi, they are SO downmarket".

Sorry AJK53, the comment was not meant for you. But on general preceptions towards Indian manufacturers.

Last edited by shankaranand : 4th July 2010 at 10:05. Reason: Correct the message
Closed Thread

Most Viewed