Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2010, 09:53   #226
PCS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
I predict a record 2000+ sales per month for the altis after the Diesel launch.
No other car in this segment can match this one .

agree to you vinaydas. this might rock the segment
Old 11th July 2010, 11:24   #227
BHPian

the only downside in this could be taxi. since it will not be a performance car but a fuel efficient car, it might be bought in large numbers by taxi operators and that might result in lot of customers walking away.
Old 11th July 2010, 12:08   #228
BHPian

Targeted at Chauffeur Driven?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
From what I heard from a very close source who drove this car, it does not have great pulling power as one would expect it to. Lets wait and watch though.
That makes sense, it is a 1.4 l engine after all.
However the car will still sell like hot-cakes.
I think the main target are those who have their cars chauffeur driven, because for them, lack of engine power makes no difference. Let the driver deal with the small engine and lack of power, the owner can comfortably sit in the back while enjoying one of the most comfortable rear benches in the segment and unmatched fuel economy.
(and of-course, those who are economy maniacs)
Old 11th July 2010, 20:51   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_gaur69 View Post
the only downside in this could be taxi. since it will not be a performance car but a fuel efficient car, it might be bought in large numbers by taxi operators and that might result in lot of customers walking away.
How do you explain the success of Innova? It is hugely popular amongst the premium Taxi segment and equally popular with white plates. BTW the current corolla is sold in large numbers to the Taxi segment as well? Most premium hotels have taxi corrollas.
Old 11th July 2010, 21:12   #230
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
How do you explain the success of Innova? It is hugely popular amongst the premium Taxi segment and equally popular with white plates. BTW the current corolla is sold in large numbers to the Taxi segment as well? Most premium hotels have taxi corrollas.
That is because apart from the features, it also matches the specs as per the expectation of the Indian public. Hence they dont complain. Need to wait and watch, how the Indian public accepts a 1.4L engine in a bigger car.
Old 11th July 2010, 21:44   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
innova is a MUV, corolla is a sedan: different segments, different reasons and different usage. MUV competition comes from xylo, Tavera and Sumo which is not much great in terms of Design, Refinement, Fit and Finish and Engines.

any reason why Cruze, Laura, Jetta is not used by Taxi operators ? This is the reason Toyota numbers are not very rosy, they sell a large chunk to Taxi both Innova and Corolla.

BTW I have a Toyota Innova Petrol, bought it in the month they launched it 5 years back.

cheers
Old 11th July 2010, 23:16   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

@vivek_gaur: Will the cruze, Jetta and Laura provide as much comfort and low cost of maintainance as the corolla?
That is why the corolla is the segment favorite in both the private and public segment.

I personally see this car as a success as most owners do sit in the back seat.
Old 11th July 2010, 23:28   #233
Senior - BHPian

Good thing that TOYOTA is keeping up the steam by coming in with the diesel. Its getting tougher with new models coming in
Old 11th July 2010, 23:53   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
@vivek_gaur: Will the cruze, Jetta and Laura provide as much comfort and low cost of maintainance as the corolla?
That is why the corolla is the segment favorite in both the private and public segment.

I personally see this car as a success as most owners do sit in the back seat.
Corolla is not a segment leader anymore, cruze has beaten everybody.

so let's wait and watch. all I am trying to say the car doesnt match it's competitors in terms of engine. I am not sure about it if they launch with 1.4 Diesel.

pay 12-15 lakhs for a car and not get an acceptable performance is a very dicey strategy. remember even VW vento will come with 105HP and 25.5 Kgm torque, why not buy VENTO.

cheers.
Old 12th July 2010, 00:19   #235
BHPian

Aren't Corolla and camry petrols already THE choice for taxi segment. That hasn't stopped individual customers from buying them. I don't a reason why it would be different with diesel.

Also Corolla taxis have a premium tag attached to them (offered by hotels, premium tour operators etc.) unlike logans or indigos offered by radio cabs. So taxi tag should not damage corolla's image or sales.
Old 12th July 2010, 21:50   #236
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Need to wait and watch, how the Indian public accepts a 1.4L engine in a bigger car.
Indian public could care less about power. Toyota + diesel + FE + interior space = Runaway success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
From what I heard from a very close source who drove this car, it does not have great pulling power as one would expect it to.
It will be atleast as nippy as the Dzire (a market favourite), if not more.

Dzire D power to weight:
68 BHP / Ton
174 NM / Ton (torque)

Altis D power to weight:
72 BHP / Ton
164 NM / Ton

Of course, this is presuming that the Altis D will weigh 1250 kilos (50 more than its petrol sibling, as the diesel is a 1.4 compared to the 1.8 petrol), 90 BHP and 205 NM of torque on tap.

I can see some of you going ! A 12 lakh car with the performance of a 6 lakh Maruti. Well, that's the Indian market for you. It's Toyotas game to lose. The only way they can goof up is by being over-confident and over-pricing the Altis D. Luckily, the Altis P is well priced so we can safely expect the D to be inside a lakh of difference. Way smaller engine after all. Thanks in no part to the Cruze' VFM price tag too. Toyota wont be able to get away with an exorbitant MRP.

Last edited by GTO : 12th July 2010 at 21:53.
Old 12th July 2010, 22:03   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Indian public could care less about power. Toyota + diesel + FE + interior space = Runaway success.
Exactly. Toyota's stellar reputation and brand value ensures the car's success.
That along with the fact that there is no competition whatsoever, at least till Honda has a diesel in the same price range.

What really gets my goat is VW and their handling of the Skoda brand. With the kind of start they got in India, a Skoda in that price range could have easily taken the fight to the Altis. Look at the numbers the Superb is racking up, immense value overshadows their abysmal service reputation; but that won't work in the Rs.12lakh segment where there is greater competition.
Old 12th July 2010, 22:09   #238
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Exactly. Toyota's stellar reputation and brand value ensures the car's success.
That along with the fact that there is no competition whatsoever, at least till Honda has a diesel in the same price range.

What really gets my goat is VW and their handling of the Skoda brand. With the kind of start they got in India, a Skoda in that price range could have easily taken the fight to the Altis. Look at the numbers the Superb is racking up, immense value overshadows their abysmal service reputation; but that won't work in the Rs.12lakh segment where there is greater competition.
Apart from the Cruze, there is no other competition in the diesel territory. Laura/Jetta would be cost much higher.
Quite some difference between the highest end of Altis and Laura/Jetta.
Old 12th July 2010, 22:11   #239
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Apart from the Cruze, there is no other competition in the diesel territory. Laura/Jetta would be cost much higher.
Quite some difference between the highest end of Altis and Laura/Jetta.
What about verna ? will it would compete with base version of Altis

Today i had a chance to hear to cruze's engine and felt the clatter was little higher ,is it so with you all?
Old 12th July 2010, 22:14   #240
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
What about verna ? will it would compete with base version of Altis

Today i had a chance to hear to cruze's engine and felt the clatter was little higher ,is it so with you all?
When folks look at class D segment, then they may not look at Verna.
Unfortunately that is how the Indian public is.

Ready to buy base version of Altis but not the loaded Verna. If they had a particular reason, then its fine.
But this happens routinely for no reason! (Just the ego)

No idea about Cruze. Never tried it or had the chance to look at it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed