Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2010, 17:01   #346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
SkyWalker. Corrolla/Altis has never been a drivers car. It has always catered to the Taxi/Chauffer segment plus a number of people for whom absolute performance is not a requisite.
Well, its never been the segments worst performer either. I agree the handling was not great - but the engine surely was peppy and has a strong low end and mid range.

Right now it looks like the Corolla will be the snail among 10+L cars. I am sure it will still sell in huge numbers and they will have to close booking for 6 months.
Old 21st July 2010, 17:22   #347
Senior - BHPian

Is the car really that bad? Lemme post a First Drive report.
Attached Thumbnails
Diesel Toyota Altis confirmed! ARAI FE of 21.43 kpl. Update: Now Launched!-1.jpg  

Last edited by sidindica : 21st July 2010 at 17:24.
Old 21st July 2010, 17:23   #348
MCR
BHPian

Its the overall package which is good, not the engine. The engine may have lack lustre performance but the selling points will be Toyota brand value in India and the reputation of Toyota. But its no comparison to Cruze which is an absolute scorcher in performance on road.

OT : May be Hyundai will compare Altis with i20 and come out with an add soon. LOL.

Last edited by MCR : 21st July 2010 at 17:25.
Old 21st July 2010, 17:34   #349
BHPian

I have an Altis and I think that 'peace of mind and comfort' are it's biggest advantages. I am sure over 95% customers also look for these factors plus the almost mandatory milage factor, which Toyota has added with the diesel. I fully agree with the turbo lag concern, but high milage customers like companies, taxi operators and individual customers will find it irresistible. Sadly performance enthusiasts form a small minority in India so high performance cars will remain a rarity.
Old 21st July 2010, 17:35   #350
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Sid and GTO is a race to the first FD report.

How about throwing in a comparo with the Manza Diesel, Verna Diesel, Cruz Diesel for good measure.

Is it worth the money?
and for the money is something else better?

How much is resale value, moderate brand snob value, implied reliability actually worth?
Old 21st July 2010, 17:43   #351
PCS
BHPian

I agree with most of you on the smaller size of the engine.

But, I also think there is too much criticism about the same.
Octavia was launched with a 90bhp engine, and it was a hit by Skoda's standards.

The launch has just happened today. We will have to test drive the car and see if the performace is adequate or not. Its too early to comment now about its performance. Waiting for some of the BHPians to drive and post reviews.

Also, from Maruti's recent "MILEAGE" campaign, the mentality of Indians, 800 owners to Rolls owners, seems to be the same. All are more bothered about the fuel efficiency the most. Going by what market leader Maruti has to say, guess the Altis Diesel will do really well for itself.
Old 21st July 2010, 19:53   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhrer View Post

I really dont understand how you call it a Lesser Engine, everything except the linea looks under powered compared to Altis engine. In that case is anyone ready to go for a TATA-FIAT combo over toyota to save about 5 Lakhs? Overall size Altis looks bigger than other car being the widest of all. Being an Indian Bigger the Better.

When it comes to refinement i believe Toyota has done a better job. This class as such is for Luxury and Brand Image more than enthusiasm so toyota has everything it needs to rule the market. I accept the fact that its less powerful compared to Laura/cruze but the comfort offered by the altis and the after sales service offered by Toyota makes it a more desirable car over the others.
Let me clarify my point: I absolutely agree with you on the build quality, *** & build-to-last reliability of a Toyota. However, for a car so heavy, it is a big let down to have just 85bhp: the Power to Weight ratio could become a factor here. Underpowered is relative; 85bhp may hold good for cars a segment lesser. I am in no way suggesting that a potential Corolla customer would opt for a Verna or Swift Dzire. Just suggesting that a Dzire or a Verna, with similar engines, but with lesser weight will give better performance than a Heavy but underpowered Corolla D. But take a look at the competition that it has got: Cruze (150bhp- turbo lag in low revv overcome with its 6AT model), Laura, Jetta (its new 2.0 engine); also keep in mind the upcoming Civic D.
Like some one already mentioned here, Corolla's strength has never been performance (it is more of a family car than a luxury/sports model across the globe), but even its petrol engine is capable of 130bhp. Already there are reports (from TDs) that support the theory: significant turbo lags are experienced. For its sheer build quality & brand image, it might sell a few numbers but it sure would be far from being a hit.
Old 21st July 2010, 20:06   #353
BHPian

Its all about having an accurate pulse of the the Indian market - all other things dont count as much.

Lets see 6 months from now as to who on this thread got it right and who wrong ?
Old 21st July 2010, 21:40   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJames View Post
Let me clarify my point: I absolutely agree with you on the build quality, *** & build-to-last reliability of a Toyota. However, for a car so heavy, it is a big let down to have just 85bhp: the Power to Weight ratio could become a factor here. Underpowered is relative; 85bhp may hold good for cars a segment lesser. I am in no way suggesting that a potential Corolla customer would opt for a Verna or Swift Dzire. Just suggesting that a Dzire or a Verna, with similar engines, but with lesser weight will give better performance than a Heavy but underpowered Corolla D. But take a look at the competition that it has got: Cruze (150bhp- turbo lag in low revv overcome with its 6AT model), Laura, Jetta (its new 2.0 engine); also keep in mind the upcoming Civic D.
Like some one already mentioned here, Corolla's strength has never been performance (it is more of a family car than a luxury/sports model across the globe), but even its petrol engine is capable of 130bhp. Already there are reports (from TDs) that support the theory: significant turbo lags are experienced. For its sheer build quality & brand image, it might sell a few numbers but it sure would be far from being a hit.
I completely agree with you. If at all you have mentioned the word power to weight ratio in your previous post i wouldnt have made a fuzz about it. I thought you are claiming the engine as such is lesser power than the ones in the other cars. You are right if you calculate Bhp/Ton i think its the corolla D which will be in the last place. And after reading the review from ACI i feel i'm wrong about my claim of it being a practical car withing city limits. I know a 1.4L D will have huge turbo lag but expected the VGT to take care of it, looks like it didnt.

Are you sure the Civic D is coming to India? If i'm not mistaken the only Diesel Engine Developed by Honda is the one which was developed for the current generation civic, but the other day i read in another site which said the said 2.2 engine is expected in Accord and CR-V in india. So i have my doubts whether they will use the same engine in the smaller civic and correct me if i'm wrong i dont think honda has any other diesel engine.
Old 22nd July 2010, 00:42   #355
Senior - BHPian

Toyota is at it again. Shortchanging the Indian customer.
First the ugly looking breadbox on wheels - Qualis.
Then the Fortuner with drum brakes at the rear.
Now the Altis with a small capacity diesel mill that should actually find itself in a Yaris or Echo.
Well, we deserve it!!
Old 22nd July 2010, 00:59   #356
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota have come up with very good pricing. The Altis Diesel is sure to get the sales charts on Fire. The pricing is even lower than the competitively priced Cruze.

But Both Laura and Cruze are still better cars to drive, not only because they have a huge power advantage but they also have much better Ride and Handling setup. The Corolla was never a car for the enthusiasts, now the Altis diesel with the much weaker engine than the competition still won't please them.

Personally i would never buy this car, even if i was in market to buy a diesel car in this price bracket.

EDIT: I Just read the first drive report by ACI posted here. According to them 0-100kph comes in 15secs, the in gear acceleration times are even worse at 20-80 in 3rd: 14.85s and 40-100 in 4th: 20.53s, the turbo lag is told to be severe too.

Last edited by .anshuman : 22nd July 2010 at 01:10.
Old 22nd July 2010, 07:35   #357
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Great Pricing

Wow!!! Altis D has been launced at a price betweed 10.95 Lakhs to 13.75 Lakhs. Apart from being diesel, it comes equipped with a six-speed transmission system and delivers 88.4 PS with a mileage of 21.43 kmpl. Even taking 25% off on the mileage, it could still milk out 15-16 kmpl, which is enormous.

I really feel that Mr. Hiroshi Nakagawa is being very conservative about the volumes they expect to sell. With this kind of pricing and the mileage, there will be a lot of customers who will upgrade from a "Verna" types to this new kid in town.

Way to go Toyota . This is going to smoke competition.

SID: The instrument cluster looks like a TATA Sumo.

Last edited by MAS : 22nd July 2010 at 07:38.
Old 22nd July 2010, 08:13   #358
Senior - BHPian

Haven't read through the thread fully. But the Diesel specs, prices etc are up in the Toyota site.

Toyota Corolla Altis Diesel
Toyota - Corolla Altis
Toyota - Pricelist

Looks like the variants are HJ, HG and HL? If so,

Kolkata prices:
HJ 11,06,000
HG 12,83,500
HL 13,83,500

The Cruze LTZ Manual costs 13.13 Ex-show in Kolkata. The Altis top end is more expensive. It's priced almost at par with the Cruze AT (13.95). Don't think this translates to fab pricing.

But yes, it will still sell. Forget the specs. For most people all that will matter is that it is a Toyota Corolla and a Diesel.
Old 22nd July 2010, 08:32   #359
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

A diesel Toyota Corolla is a reason enough for the competition to worry. I agree the Cruze has better specifications and the Jetta has a more upmarket feel to it. But look at the Fortuner's innings in India. It is not the perfect SUV, but the demand has forced the company to close its bookings. I'm sure the Altis diesel is going to set the sales chart on fire. Most companies will dream to have such response to their products. Even the Etios looks plain boring, but it will sell better than its rivals as it is a Toyota, peace of mind being a standard feature.
Old 22nd July 2010, 08:58   #360
Senior - BHPian

I expect Laura to be sold now with lots of discounts and freebies. GM may have to introduce extended warranty as standard for Cruze.

Will Altis diesel have an impact on Honda City sales?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks