Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2010, 20:34   #406
mxx
BHPian

Even if this was a 1L engine, corolla will sell in India because it has a toyota badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Try taking a corner at 100+ kmph in both and find out, it will be an educative experience.
good one.

@PCS: forget driving , did you even check out the specs or read a test drive review before posting this statement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grules View Post
Any Toyota made cars which will put people to sleep forever. (Just kidding, nothing personal)
Apparently US govt says there are around 89 of these.
Old 23rd July 2010, 21:48   #407
PCS
BHPian

@mxx

I dont go by specs or read test drives.

I directly went for a test drive today and just loved the car for its NVH

Power was adequate if not though Diesel Rocket !

And its neither a bullock cart
Old 23rd July 2010, 23:19   #408
Senior - BHPian

[quote=fuhrer;1993189

YES this car is underpowered BUT IT IS A PEACE OF MIND IN ALL OTHER ASPECTS[/quote]

Peace of mind? Sure it has given immense peace of mind to hundreds of thousands of Toyota owners overseas whose cars have been recalled. And some have slept for ever.

But you know Fuhrer, I think you are right after all. You will really have peace of mind with this one on highway. You will be driving peacefully on left lane leaving the fast lane to other to fight for.

And yes, just because Toyota is good doesn't mean other are bad. No, GM doesn't give its owners any sleepness nights. In fact they offer free maintenance deals which I wonder if any one else does. That shows confidence they have on their cars. I feel skoda horror stories are exaggerated, too. I know some 03/04 year Octys Diesels which logged starship mileages and whose owners never so much as opened bonnet in all these years. On the other hand I have seen many Qualises and even some Innovas being towed. So, the point is any car can break down. Toyota may ceratinly be better but GM/Skoda are not as lousy as you would like us to believe.
Old 23rd July 2010, 23:32   #409
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
sidindica's review here.
Thank you for the link. The Corolla D is a great car and whatever people may say about the small engine, I guess the sales figures would give the verdict.

I spoke to a friend who owns a Laura for 3 years now. He was ready to go in for the Corolla D, EVENTHOUGH it was under powered. The prime reasons for such a decision being
- Toyota
- Mileage

I'm not concluding anything now, but this cleverly built car will set the sales rolling and cash registers ringing for Toyota.
Old 23rd July 2010, 23:41   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Dear team mate,

Kindly do not paint GM with the same brush as the Skoda.

We have an AVEO 1.6 LT since the last 4 years and have spent a pittance on all regular services. Since GM was one of the first to offer extended warranty in India all the parts replaced (and there are a very few of those) have been replaced by the company free of cost.

GM is so sure of its product quality that we can see it in the form of all inclusive service packages that they offer on almost there entire range. We have several GM vehicles mostly OPTRAS, some sparks a couple of Aveos and Captivas in our extended family/friends circle and there is not one owner in this group who is not satisfied with his/her vehicle and GM service. I am sure that the lack of disparaging posts against GM also endorses our ownership experience.

Therefore GM is as much peace of mind to its vehicle owners as Toyota is to theirs, kindly do not generalise.

Thats really nice to hear.
Sorry mate my post was based on the experience we had with a fleet of Astras and corsas one among them swapped his astra to optra and corsa to aveo he said he liked the brand so much that he doesnt wanna consider others, however recently he is not much satisfied with the service that may be an exception.

how is the resale value for them these days? Might sound off topic but i have a point here since the altis is compared with cruze wanna know its resale value.
Old 24th July 2010, 00:23   #411
BHPian

Resales values of almost all the vehicles have gone down nowadays compared to, say what was then 5 years back.
Old 24th July 2010, 02:16   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhrer View Post
Thats really nice to hear.
Sorry mate my post was based on the experience we had with a fleet of Astras and corsas one among them swapped his astra to optra and corsa to aveo he said he liked the brand so much that he doesnt wanna consider others, however recently he is not much satisfied with the service that may be an exception.

how is the resale value for them these days? Might sound off topic but i have a point here since the altis is compared with cruze wanna know its resale value.
No apologies required between teammates. I can understand your friends dissatisfaction but then every city& brand has its share of bad dealers. I have gone through the same grind wheel and ultimately separated the wheat from the chaff and have found a balance. Hope your friend finds it too.

Regarding the resale value, I am the last person who would have a clue. The most recent addition to my garage being a Cedia sports a few months ago is an indication of the importance of resale price in my car purchasing decisions.
Old 24th July 2010, 08:50   #413
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS View Post
@mxx

I dont go by specs or read test drives.

I directly went for a test drive today and just loved the car for its NVH

Power was adequate if not though Diesel Rocket !

And its neither a bullock cart
I was referring to your earlier post about comparison about Fortuner and cayenne. Not referring corolla.
Anyways, I would never buy a corolla, diesel or petrol. Not that its a bad car. I find its drive and styling too boring.
Old 24th July 2010, 10:51   #414
MAS
Senior - BHPian

I have been reading in this forum and elsewhere that this D-4D 1.4 Diesel engine will be used in Toyota in Etios, both sedan and hatch.

I feel that Toyota is merely testing their 1.4 Diesel in Indian conditions before its launch in the much expected Etios. Once they launch the Etios, which is just 5 months away, Toyota would bring in their more powerful 2.0 D-4D for the Corolla.
Old 24th July 2010, 11:39   #415
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
I feel that Toyota is merely testing their 1.4 Diesel in Indian conditions before its launch in the much expected Etios. Once they launch the Etios, which is just 5 months away, Toyota would bring in their more powerful 2.0 D-4D for the Corolla.
Toyota doesn't need to launch the Altis with 1.4D engine just to test the engine. These engine is already out in the same car in other markets. They reason they are doing it is for volume and cost reasons. If the same engine is used in the Etios and Altis, they can lower costs with economies of scale given the volumes. If they lauch the 2.0 D4D, the volumes won't justify local production and the engine will have to imported driving up the cost of the car.
Old 24th July 2010, 12:53   #416

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Peace of mind? Sure it has given immense peace of mind to hundreds of thousands of Toyota owners overseas whose cars have been recalled. And some have slept for ever.

But you know Fuhrer, I think you are right after all. You will really have peace of mind with this one on highway. You will be driving peacefully on left lane leaving the fast lane to other to fight for.

And yes, just because Toyota is good doesn't mean other are bad. No, GM doesn't give its owners any sleepness nights. In fact they offer free maintenance deals which I wonder if any one else does. That shows confidence they have on their cars. I feel skoda horror stories are exaggerated, too. I know some 03/04 year Octys Diesels which logged starship mileages and whose owners never so much as opened bonnet in all these years. On the other hand I have seen many Qualises and even some Innovas being towed. So, the point is any car can break down. Toyota may ceratinly be better but GM/Skoda are not as lousy as you would like us to believe.
Well, if you are talking about Toyota recalls aborad then we should also include GM recall due to fire issue in their vehicles.

Link over here

And this is after their recalls in 2008 for similar fire issue.
Old 24th July 2010, 13:14   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
There is no way on earth that could be the reason.!!If Toyota bring( which i doubt will happen) 2.0 D-4D , the price would surely increase by further 1 lac + and i would nt see that as a VFM then. I would like to see the comments if Ford bring the Focus sedan with 1.4 TDCI shared with Figo and Fiesta.
Old 24th July 2010, 13:46   #418
BHPian

Difference between variants

I am really shocked to see the price variation between the base( J) and the mid (G) variant , which is approx. 2 lakhs.
Is it justified to pay the above amount just for adding airbags, which is the only thing which cannot be added aftermarket .
Old 24th July 2010, 23:19   #419
Senior - BHPian

Are the TD available in NCR region specially delhi and faridabad?
Though i dont wish to buy this still would like to check it for a friend and actually am quiet curious to see if its underpowered as had driven laura and cruze both. Though am kinda sure icruze is way ahead and is better than even Laura.
Old 24th July 2010, 23:43   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
Well, if you are talking about Toyota recalls aborad then we should also include GM recall due to fire issue in their vehicles.

Link over here

And this is after their recalls in 2008 for similar fire issue.
Yes, but then GM fans do not tom tom "peace of mind" song.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks