Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2005, 01:41   #16
BHPian

Well ... are you over 5'10" ? If yes ... my answer would be the Getz ..otherwise the Swift is good enough.

There is a very marginal difference between the two in terms of legroom space when you are less then 5'10" in height ( I dont know the specs, this is just my personal feeling when I test drove both of them)

So, suit 'yourself' ...
Old 17th October 2005, 01:48   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
Which car do you own??? A different world with 60 mm more is exhagerated. Firstly I acknowledge that Getz has more leg room in the rear, but mainly due to the fact that Swifts front seat go more back than Getz. Thats why in the spec, although the minimum being so less for Swift, the max is greater than Indica and comparable to Getz.
However where the Swift scores over Getz is that the front seats being higher give u a Fusion feel, whereas Getz almost feels like an Esteem with low seating. I like the big car feel given when seated in front in Swift as compared to Getz!
It doesnt matter what cars I own... The point being i neither own a Getz or a Swift but i have sat in both several times and often one after an other and the Swift backseat felt much much more cramped to me.I dont know the techincal aspect but overall i did feel a big diff thats y it felt like an other world!
Old 17th October 2005, 02:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

just to give you an example.

I have the waGon R and santro is said to have more space but Wagon is designed to accomodate better. Hence we have a wagonR . My both uncles boght a santro.

Hence seat yourself in the car and see.best thing to do before buying a car.
Old 17th October 2005, 11:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84

Hence seat yourself in the car and see.best thing to do before buying a car.

I did that. I feel that Getz extra length is consumed by the extra boot & front dash board compared to the size of the Swift.

We adjusted seats to various positions & never found Getz score over Swift in any position.

My feeling is that atleast Getz will not win hands down as what is mentioned here.

As mentioned earlier, try it out by placing both Getz and Swift next to each other & share your experience

Last edited by Surprise : 17th October 2005 at 11:30.
Old 17th October 2005, 13:11   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
However where the Swift scores over Getz is that the front seats being higher give u a Fusion feel, whereas Getz almost feels like an Esteem with low seating. I like the big car feel given when seated in front in Swift as compared to Getz!
Low seating in Getz?????? Man, looks like your bro got a lemon. Neither me nor other Getz owners I know have never faced these problems your bro had. I guess you take a ride in another Getz, that might change your perception.

\N
Old 17th October 2005, 13:28   #21
Team-BHP Support

Like the ladies say, its not the size but how it is used.

Take one rainy night in Bangalore airport, three passengers and a large suitcase + one Getz - open hatch, lower a seat half and all it well. In a swift - spoil back seat and passenger with a wet suitcase or take a taxi !
Old 17th October 2005, 13:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

As much as i love the swift i think the difference between the two can be summed up as: The swift is the better drivers car but the Getz is a more practical alternative.

I tested out both the Swift and Getz
...in my opinion the interior of the Getz feels more roomy than the Swift...also since the Getz cabin allows in more light since the D pillar is not as thick as in the Swift

...boot space is definitely more in the Getz.

...The front seats are better in the Swift.

all in all...buy the Swift with more of heart and less of head.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 17th October 2005, 13:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp
...in my opinion the interior of the Getz feels more roomy than the Swift...also since the Getz cabin allows in more light since the D pillar is not as thick as in the Swift
errr....i think you meant the "C" pillar...."D" pillars are found in SUV's, stationwagons, etc....

Quote:
true....the getz is a more practical option...it's a much better family car than the swift...the latter is more for the sportily inclined..
Old 18th October 2005, 14:42   #24
BHPian

Quote:
As much as i love the swift i think the difference between the two can be summed up as: The swift is the better drivers car but the Getz is a more practical alternative.

I tested out both the Swift and Getz

...boot space is definitely more in the Getz.

...The front seats are better in the Swift.

Drive on,
Shibu.

And Getz by no means is an under performer.Open up & you can see what it is capable of.
Old 18th October 2005, 15:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan

And Getz by no means is an under performer.Open up & you can see what it is capable of.
Chandan, after owning Swift and driving Getz. I felt Getz was suffering from Asthama. Swift response to the accelerator is truly amazing, I could do 110 in 3rd gear and went all the way up to 145kmph on 4th. And believe me the car still had a lot more in it!

Lastly to understand any car you have to see its target audience in the countries for which the cars were designed for. The Getz is a poor mans all purpose vehcile (combi of sorts) in Europe. Their focus was to give as much space as possible to the driver and passengers (husband wife and kids) within a given budget. The car didnt have any radical design, it was made for its target audience in mind. It had plain simple European looks. Its focus was not power or performance, rather it was Economy and Practility for the lower middle class. It even comes with a 1.1 ltr petrol Engine in Europe in some variants.

Swift on the other hand was Suzuki's attempt to bring something radical for the youth (students) in European countries. It was inspired by the concept car that demoed in 2004. The fact that Suzuki managed to pull it off so quickly and bring it to road, makes Swift the hottest looking hatch on road (many Getz owners dont agree ). The target audience of Swift was young college going kids, thus practicality and space took the back seat, and driveablity and style took the upper hand. The cars suspension, European spec engines, etc. all are designed for performance. The engine options start from 1.3 ltr vvt engine upwards.

So inherently both cars do best at what they are designed for. The Getz is the best overall performer and scores in space and utility. And Swift having the soul of a brat, performs and makes the driver yearn for more. I would suggest Getz, as the car if its going to be the only car in the house, and if you favor practicality over driveability. I would suggest Swift if you already have cars at home for the luggage duty, and are looking for something with style to pep your life.

Last edited by aseem : 18th October 2005 at 15:49.
Old 18th October 2005, 16:45   #26
BHPian

Ahaa

[quote=aseem]Chandan, after owning Swift and driving Getz. QUOTE]
Aaha,
so you own the Swift and have driven the GetZ.
Not owned the Getz and driven Swift.

Old 18th October 2005, 17:03   #27
Senior - BHPian

@aseem, the script for Swift was perfectly fine till they introduced 1.3L old esteem engine in place of european speced vvt engine. Why? For cost cutting and for sake of most crucial decision making factor in indian car industry- Mileage aka FE. So, racer boy got a racer car with not-so-racer engine Though Swift is freshly styled than Getz, it is no way hottest looking hatch. S10 , even after 3-4 years of presence, looks hotter than swift, and I not even talking about its 1.6 scorcher. So, my vote would go to Getz, which is better at what it is supposed to be doing. Swift may change this once they introduce more powerful 1.5L engine.
Old 18th October 2005, 19:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
@aseem, the script for Swift was perfectly fine till they introduced 1.3L old esteem engine in place of european speced vvt engine. Why? For cost cutting and for sake of most crucial decision making factor in indian car industry- Mileage aka FE. So, racer boy got a racer car with not-so-racer engine Though Swift is freshly styled than Getz, it is no way hottest looking hatch. S10 , even after 3-4 years of presence, looks hotter than swift, and I not even talking about its 1.6 scorcher. So, my vote would go to Getz, which is better at what it is supposed to be doing. Swift may change this once they introduce more powerful 1.5L engine.
Do we have S10 and Scorcher on Indian roads? So its academic to discuss them here. I am merely comparing Swift in comparo to Getz so lets just keep the discussion to cars available on Indian roads.

Also the 1.3 engine in Swift is still hell lotta faster than Getz, Esteem (top end), Accent, Ikon 1.3, Scorpio, Santro, Zen, Corsa, Tata Safari, Indigo, Indica, Indica Turbo, New Honda City, Sumo Victa, Chevrolet Tavera..... and so on!

Point being, although the engine is old and still doing duty, it still is a lot faster than all cars by other manufacturers on Indian roads. It still has the least cost of ownership, and cheap spares and maintainence.

Lastly its always debated that Swift came with an older engine, but no one credits Swift for giving an option of Airbags, Climate Control, alloys, wider tyres and ABS in this segment. Why doesnt Hyundai Getz, give users an option for Airbags? I feel safety should be valued more than the beige interiors! Maruti has done a great job there, putting even cars from its own stable to shame by giving such high end safety features in Swift Zxi, that even Baleno doesnt have till date.

Lastly, I am not stating at all that Swift is best on all fronts. I stated before as well, Getz is a family car for people owning just one car. As it has more space and is more practical. But Swift is for those still young at heart, have other cars at home to do the luggage duty, and still have the boy racer in their heart.

Last edited by aseem : 18th October 2005 at 19:02.
Old 18th October 2005, 19:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do we have S10 and Scorcher on Indian roads? So its academic to discuss them here. I am merely comparing Swift in comparo to Getz so lets just keep the discussion to cars available on Indian roads.
Well! It is not academic since it is still being sold. Second, point was not if S10 looks best, but if Swift with more recent styling looks hottest, which it does not.

Quote:
Also the 1.3 engine in Swift is still hell lotta faster than Getz, Esteem (top end), Accent, Ikon 1.3, Scorpio, Santro, Zen, Corsa, Tata Safari, Indigo, Indica, Indica Turbo, New Honda City, Sumo Victa, Chevrolet Tavera..... and so on!
Indigo/Victa/Tavera? I am glad you didn't bring in 800 and alto. And I seriously doubt if it is faster than Corsa 1.6 and Esteem, esteem being much lighter.

Quote:
Point being, although the engine is old and still doing duty, it still is a lot faster than all cars by other manufacturers on Indian roads. It still has the least cost of ownership, and cheap spares and maintainence.
It is faster on esteem, since it was light. On a heavy swift, it is not as fast as you think it is. I wonder, why do we have to defend old technology since we all know it is an old technology, however good it is.

Quote:
Lastly its always debated that Swift came with an older engine, but no one credits Swift for giving an option of Airbags, Climate Control, alloys, wider tyres and ABS in this segment.
Airbags? Even Santro has option of airbags, I believe. And alloys, wide tyres et.al. are no great shakes other than adding an item in your list.

Quote:
But Swift is for those still young at heart, have other cars at home to do the luggage duty, and still have the boy racer in their heart.
Yep. Better than Getz in acceleration/handling, but as I said earlier, Getz does better at what it is supposed to do, while one can not exactly say the same about Swift. Put new 1.5L engine and it will probably set roads on fire.

Last edited by RX135 : 18th October 2005 at 19:46.
Old 18th October 2005, 19:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

@RX - why dyou bother trying to enlighten those who have their eyes wide shut?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks