Team-BHP - Ford petrol product line gap.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Ford petrol product line gap. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/80878-ford-petrol-product-line-gap.html)

For BS-4 cities & towns, Ford's petrol product line has a gap - No entry level sedan (Ikon 1.3 cannot be sold in these towns).

Consider this, Figo 1.2 Duratec Petrol Titanium is approx 5.25 lacs OTR. Next up in the line, Ford Fiesta 1.6 EXi, is 7.5 lacs - difference of a whopping 2.25 lacs!!

Is ford aware of this gap? They are leaking customers to Manza/Dzire/Logan stables.

I feel Ford can introduce a BS-4 compliant Ikon Duratec 1.6 - Power, FE and affordability all rolled into one.

Will they do this?

Oops - guess i have posted this to the wrong forum. Mods - please move this to ' The Indian Car Scene' section. Thanks.

Fiesta 1.4 Petrol... axed or what???

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirWind (Post 1870444)
Fiesta 1.4 Petrol... axed or what???

The Fiesta 1.4 was taken off the market long ago. Fiesta now comes only with the 1.6 engine in petrols.

Probably, Ford thought it didnt make sense investing in updating the 1.3 ROCAM engine to make it BS IV compliant, since most of the Ikon sales now were concentrated on the TDCi.

Fiesta Petrol sells largely due to the superb 1.6 engine.
IMO, if Ikon is available with the same engine, it will rule the entry-level segment - better handling, better power-to-weight ratio.

Drool stuff.

They have the Limited Edition Fiestas that sell at Rs.6 Lacs in Delhi (some dealership have such offers, even though not advertised by the company).

Rather than Ikon, why not a Figo with 1.6 duratec? If not 1.6, 1.4 will do well too. Major letdown in Figo is again, the engine like in most modern hatches at the moment.

Figo, like the Punto, is crying out for a "sports" version. Granted, the market is relatively small (i.e. enthusiasts) but like the Zen Carbon/Steel editions, why not a limited production run?

The VW Golf GTi started off this way ... see where it is now? I think it is the right time in India for hot hatches. I, for one, will definitely buy one :thumbs up

Honda, Mahindra, Maruti, Tata (at least in last few years) have been very agile. I don't know but it seems to me that I see a new version of Honda city every year and that too an improvement over the earlier one

Ford needs to show more urgency in brining cars with better value to customer and responding to customer feedback. They have not changed the Fiesta in years. Figo is a good start but I need to see - if they innovate on a regular basis

BTW Toyota suffers from the same problem (non-agile), but seems to get away with it

What went wrong with the Fiesta 1.4 petrol?? Was it the case of wrong engine capacity in the segment it was launched or did people felt it underpowered??

If the 1.4 petrol engine didnt had any issues Ford India can think about launching Ikon 1.4 petrol in the place of the 1.3 ROCAM!! Yes the Ikon is an old platform which many say it has to be phased out. But if Ford is keen on keeping the Ikon alive by selling the Ikon diesel they may as well launch the Ikon 1.4 petrol. Also BS IV is a good chance to slightly spruce up the Ikon or launch a better looking Ikon(not just a head light / bumper change job)!!

The Figo 1.4 petrol can not fill the gap, all it can do is give an option for the figo buyer to be able buy a figo with more power. A car with something like the Ikon is best suited for the segment between Figo and Fiesta. May be they can launch Sedan based on the design of Fusion or Figo???

I think the current fiesta will take place of Ikon in near future with new pricing and the next generation Fiesta 1.6 making 120 BHP will sit at the top.

ford plan a 1.6 figo (reported by autocar), so that should plug that gap also, fz_rider, you are right the new fiesta should come in by q4 and the current fiesta will take the ikon's place

Common guys, the Ikon petrol never sold in good numbers. It was the best driver's car in it's segment but with notorious FE figures.

The Ikon TDCi sells because of low running cost. Ikon petrol will not click with the buyers anymore. As of today, it cannot hold a candle to the competitions FE figures and resale value. Not that I care for it;but majority of car buying people care so.

The Fiesta petrol with all those offers is a good buy if people are interested in Ford petrols.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WindRide (Post 1870310)
For BS-4 cities & towns, Ford's petrol product line has a gap - No entry level sedan (Ikon 1.3 cannot be sold in these towns).

The Ikon only really got a mid-life boost with the 1.4 TDCi. I don't think anyone in the market bothered with the petrol.

Quote:

Consider this, Figo 1.2 Duratec Petrol Titanium is approx 5.25 lacs OTR. Next up in the line, Ford Fiesta 1.6 EXi, is 7.5 lacs - difference of a whopping 2.25 lacs!!
Not if you consider the sub 6 lakh rupee Fiesta 1.6 specials :). Fits right in, I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkr2k2 (Post 1871053)
What went wrong with the Fiesta 1.4 petrol?? Was it the case of wrong engine capacity in the segment it was launched or did people felt it underpowered??

Classic case of being "neither here nor there". Economy lovers have the Fiesta 1.4 diesel, and petrol fans have the sweet 1.6. Anyways, the 1.6 specials have made the 1.4 petrol irrelevant (similar price point).