Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2010, 19:24   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I switched from a 225HP Acura 3.2 TL to Santro Xing AT in 2003. Yes, it can be done, but I had to buy another Sedan a year later since I got fed up on long highway drives.
See, this could happen. But for our 'top end' hatches like Swift, Figo, Polo, i20 etc the highway runs wont be boring I guess. Any note on that? Has anyone got any idea about lnog trips on those hatches?
Old 6th May 2010, 19:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

i know someone who downgraded from a Accent to a Beat.The accent was replaced as it had become old and the person found the larger vehicle cumbersome to drive in daily traffic.
Old 6th May 2010, 19:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine is contemplating on selling his 11 year old Contessa classic to Ford Figo or Suzuki Ritz.

Not sure if this will come under downshifting

Going by the Traffic rise we have today, i think very sooner most of us would be downshifting from 4 wheels to 2 wheels
Old 6th May 2010, 20:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

I got a shock in 2000 when my dad sent off his 1994 padmini for good and purchased a daewoo matiz. I just thought-big things come in small packages and just after experiencing the amount of legroom in the matiz, all my thoughts were quelled. nippy little fun to drive hatch, it was a marvel in interior packaging and served us for well over six figure kms before we replaced it with the santro in 2006. I simply hate the legspace on offer inside the santro as compared to matiz.

In our localities, maybe due to size constraints or parking problems, 2 people sold off their 8 year old accents for i10 kappas.
Old 6th May 2010, 20:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

we have a Palio , an Innova and a Camry so concept of downshifting does not apply as we already have vehicles of different segments.
personally i don't feel either the innova or the camry a pain to drive in the city.
The Congested roads make even a biker to suffer in the city , so a few extra CM's of wheelbase really matter.
running costs are a different issue altogether.
Old 6th May 2010, 20:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

I might downgrade to a hatch from my ANHC AT as a city car. But then I will also have a car meant for long drives.
Old 6th May 2010, 20:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

TATA Indigo CS ---->> Tata Nano

Had banged up the Indigo once, and also needed to get rid of the EMI (financial reason), Nano is a stop-gap until I gather enough cash to buy the next car with full cash!!
Old 6th May 2010, 20:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
we have a Palio , an Innova and a Camry so concept of downshifting does not apply as we already have vehicles of different segments.
personally i don't feel either the innova or the camry a pain to drive in the city.
The Congested roads make even a biker to suffer in the city , so a few extra CM's of wheelbase really matter.
running costs are a different issue altogether.
I agree, once you are on the road size of the car doesn't matter. On the other hand bigger vehicles get more respect from other motorists! But the pain is when it comes to parking, especially in congested places.
Old 6th May 2010, 20:50   #24
BHPian

I have purchased a SX4 zxi about 40 days back. just 3 days back I booked a polo. Now a polo can cost as much as a entry level sedan like accent,fiesta or aveo but i went for it because im already getting my rush of a big car, i need a practical car, easy to drive in city and easy to park. honestly buying a i20 over verna and accent actually makes sense.
Old 6th May 2010, 21:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

I think this is a very interesting topic. The thread-starter is surely a thinker !! Kudos to you buddy.

I see no reason why "downsizing" or what some of us call "downgrading" should be a problem at all. You gotta change with the times.

If your lifestyle demands a smaller vehicle, so be it. I see nothing wrong with that. Hypocrites who judge people with what they "drive" can take a hike. They may even question or judge you for the watch you wear or the clothes you have.

Can one be "judged" by these materialistic things ?? I think NOT. One should drive what is practical & what one enjoys & what one can easily afford. Whether it is an 800 or the Bentley Flying Spur.

You are what you are - does not matter what car you drive.

Personally I find the Swift far more convinient to drive & park than I do any of my other cars. I feel no shame in driving that, and I do not agree that we should feel inferior or complexed driving what we do. Afterall a car is meant for our convinience - Period

That is my POV

Cheers
Old 6th May 2010, 21:42   #26
BHPian

Great Thread!.. Just in time when I am seriously considering "Downshifting".

One issue though is, if you are used to luxuries of the big car, getting used to the smaller car takes time.

I am taking TD of smaller cars and have hard time liking them(interiors, space and comfirt).

Only i10 and i20 impressed me among smaller cars. But I20 costs as much as a bigger car.

Confused!.
Old 7th May 2010, 05:38   #27
BHPian

Good Thread!! I'm already in the market searching for a premium hatchback or an entry level sedan after selling off my Toyota Corolla. My experience so far --- "CONFUSED" as to what is my next buy. The biggest issue - You are spoilt for choice after having a luxury sedan. Every small missing feature put a Big X against the car. I'm going to get there shortly and probably will then post my experience in tihs shift journey.
Old 7th May 2010, 06:25   #28
BHPian

Compulsion to downgrade, more than anything else will soon manifest itself. This is more appropriate in a city like New Delhi. no doubt, the city may have the best roads in comparison to other metros, long and wide. Inspite of a number of efforts by the agencies to widen or elongate the current roads in New Delhi. The rate at which the new cars are inducted in a city like New Delhi, will soon set all efforts of the agencies deployed to widen roads , obsolete. Case in point, my father who bought an accord 2007 model accord AT 2.4L 2 years ago, is now contemplating of buying i20 diesel for his daily commutance.

One also, believes, that the age group above 30 will sooner or later realise this and some are already making this downgrade. Thus, arrises out a question along with the one put by this thread: Why the older the age group the more will it accompany this change of 'downgrade' rather than the younger generation ?.
Old 7th May 2010, 07:09   #29
Team-BHP Support

Reasons to downshift?

Many.

- City traffic
- Good AT options.
- Powerful hatches which are also rock solid on long drives.
- Great many choices for the buyer. He can actually indulge.
- Easy maintenance and smaller parking requirements
- Suits urban lifestyles very well.
- Amazing engines and mileage

PLUS many many more !
Old 7th May 2010, 08:56   #30
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Real coincidence to find this thread. I am in process of down shift one of my sedan.

Reason - Parking - At residence a big issue
Economics - Planning a diesel hatchback - Daily running 80-120 kms /day
Lower cost of maintenance and running cost.
My wify too want to drive around - A strict no no to my baleno and safari.

Of course my view of down shifting holds good if you own multiple cars, otherwise i am not in for it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks