Team-BHP - Ever thought of downshifting? From big car to small car?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Ever thought of downshifting? From big car to small car? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/80955-ever-thought-downshifting-big-car-small-car.html)

The most common trend amongst all of us is the upgrade, from small hatchback to sedan or to SUV or MUV and what not.

With sudden rush of trendy and feature loaded hatches in Indian market, like Punto, Polo I20 and Fabia, I am tempted to downshift from my Optra Magnum TCDI to a loaded hatchback.

Reasons why one would want to downshift :

1. Latest entries of mouth-watering hatchbacks (Punto and Polo for me)
2. Convenient to drive in city, and good on highways too
3. Features offered by big cars (Read boot / space) are not used so often, mostly you drive alone or with max four people in your car, and do not drive always with luggage
4. For someone it could be money matters or for economy reasons, downshifting might fetch you back some cash by selling your big car. Or downshifting could be easy on pocket, just get rid of your current guzzler and buy a fuel efficient hatch
5. You just want change the your current big car, cant upgrade now so why not a small car under your budget

Reasons why one would not downshift :

1. Big car feeling is different, you feel proud that you have a big car
2. Typical human tendency : What people will think if sell a big car buy small one?
3. Specifications of you current car (My magnum has 2000cc, 120bhp, 320nm torque) no hatch can match this
4. Although the space and boot is utilized occasionally, but on that one occasion you don’t want regret that your hatch doesn’t have boot or can’t accommodate more people

So what do you think people, is it a good idea to downshift? what is the strong reason to do so and what is the strong reason for not doing so?

I think the recession might have seen quite a few "downshifts". But money aside, I'm not sure if it is considered normal to downgrade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by throttleking (Post 1872392)
3. Specifications of you current car (My magnum has 2000cc, 120bhp, 320nm torque) no hatch can match this

Wait for the next gen Fiesta hatch. It will have a similar power output with handling characteristics that will be an order of magnitude better than the Magnum. You get the best of both worlds. :D

Had I started this thread there would have been some sense. Because I own "My Daddy's Big Car", yep the Esteem. And these fully loaded hatches these days are in real terms an "upgradation", even considering the fact that its from a sedan (Esteem after all is a sedan :eek:) to a hatch!

You own one of the best luxury sedans in town, both class and power. Downshifting from Magnum is, to me, suicidal! Instead my suggestion is, go buy an Alto or if not an i10 for city use. With two cars your pride will further increase lol:

All this "sedan more prestigious than hatch" "sedan to hatch is a downgrade" is a load of BS. Unless you are driving the likes of a Rolls Royce/Ferrari et al, you are definitely not driving a "prestige" car.

So, just buy a car that fits your budget and needs, and be happy. I don't think there is any "upgrade" or "downgrade", just "suitable" and "not suitable".

I am seriously considering "downshifting" from my 1.8 Petrol Optra LT to a diesel Grande Punto or i20.

Reasons why I'm thinking about downshifting:

- My "Big car" has only a driver airbag. Modern small cars have dual airbags, ABS & EBD. Some like i20 have 6 airbags.

- I do 15,000 to 20,000 km a year - so I need a car with low running & maintenance costs.

- My big car has comforts like sunroof & leather interiors. However, I can add a sunroof from Webasto and head to Stanley Boutique for some nice cow skin!

- My big car has electric gadgets like auto folding mirrors, 5 CD changer & 8 speakers. But who listens to CD anymore? Modern small cars like Punto/i20 have USB MP3 playback, and speakers can be replaced with new ones. i20's gadget list is truly mindboggling.

- My big car is a good looking car designed by Pininfarina (Italy). But nothing in comparison to the true Italian Grande Punto.

- My big car can hit 100 kmph in 11 seconds. But small diesel cars have better driveability.

- My big car has a big boot (405 litres) for highway runs. But small cars like Punto/i20 are not bad in the department (280 & 300 litres).

- My big car has excellent leg room in the rear. But I don't have friends or relatives who are 6 feet tall who will be using all that space!

- My big car gives me respect and prestige ("Hmm, looks like this guy is quite well to do"). But I have to shell out more money when traffic cops get hold of me. And street vendors rip me off by charging me 20% more when I take my car to do vegetable shopping :D

I think with the Indian car market maturing, we may see a lot of people, hassled by the ever increasing traffic and parking woes, give up their big sedans for feature laden hatchbacks as is happening in the west. Soon having a 'car with a dickey' will no longer be a prestige issue.

1. Money - Recession
2. Traffic
3. Hot hatches

yes, I will shift down to smaller car the next time.

I think people who own a sedan sould stick to Sedans. A boot though occasionally used comes handy when you have to load the luggage. All car can seat five,even a M800 but if you need to pack people with luggage, then you need a boot.And that one time when your boot is utilised, you feel like you are blessed to have a car with a boot.I have utilised my Ikon's boot a lot many times. Though most times it's just me and my wife, but whenever we have relatives visiting and the boot is packed, we feel that we invested wisely in a sedan.
No downgrades for me to a hatch. It has to be Sedan. But can think of a hatch as a second car.

I have downshifted from a sedan to a hatch.
Used to own a pre owned Mazda 626 (honda accord class) in US, as I could afford to buy and maintain it.
Might have also been able to afford a pre owned sedan in India, but settled for a new hatch due to narrow roads + drivability + parking + not so great Indian salary!

For me too, almost 80% of the times i am the only one or at the most with my wife in my sedan. The boot has been used like 5 times in the past 7 months and only once fully loaded. I think its a waste for me to drive around in a sedan when 8 times on 10 i am not using its features- space, boot and power.
All are only useful on the highway. I am contemplating moving to a hatch but the problem is that all the hatches are underpowered when it comes to having the occasional full 5 seated.
Still not much choice as:
Polo- too much waiting and a tad too much to pay for no features at all
i20- a little underpowered with 5 people
Punto- cant seem to trust FIAT ***, still too risky
Figo- lacks the class factor for me
IF there was an i20 petrol with 1.3 or 1,4 engine, or the punto had maruti/hyundai service quality, a sure buy, but all are wishes:(

I switched from a 225HP Acura 3.2 TL to Santro Xing AT in 2003. :) Yes, it can be done, but I had to buy another Sedan a year later since I got fed up on long highway drives.

I would if there were some hot hatches available. But i think i will have to wait forever for that. Hope we have a punto, polo or fabia with proper engines.

why will it be considered a downgrade?
modern hatches provide as much comfort and safety as sedans,also lower costs and so much easier to park/drive in limited space. it's a sensible choice. I for one would probably get a hatchback once I sell the baleno

Quote:

Originally Posted by sukrit7 (Post 1873014)
why will it be considered a downgrade?
modern hatches provide as much comfort and safety as sedans,also lower costs and so much easier to park/drive in limited space. it's a sensible choice. I for one would probably get a hatchback once I sell the baleno

Completely agree.. consider cities which are packed with automobiles, small and dusty roads, little space for manouverability ... hatchs make a lot of sense. Plus if own a maruti esteem and sell that to buy a new Polo or a Punto or an i20, then its certainly an upgrade !

Guess it's all in the mind.. it always is :)

Very interesting topic though ..