Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2010, 14:35   #106
BHPian

[quote=DieselAddikt;1883624]Cannot really agree with that. The kind of handling and dynamics the Swift offers cannot be matched by either. I have not driven Figo for more than 15kms at a stretch, but from the limited experience, i feel so.

Figo's handling is as good as swift's plus the steering feel is definitely better than swift's. The less said about swift's ride(compared to figo's) the better. Agreed that the figo is slower than swift.
Old 13th May 2010, 14:46   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
BTW, wondered why GM had to offer the 3-year maintenance plan in the first place ? The abysmal maintenance costs of their Opel range. And that is no perception.
I see that again as a perception!! Before, GM=Chevy=Opel=German/American=bomb to maintain. Where as there are few people know that Now, GM=Chevy=Daewoo=Korean=relatively cheap to maintain. Now to kill that perception GM had to offer the 3-year maintenance plan.

Quote:
Do agree that the Spark is a nice car and a good deal. Especially when compared to the previous Estilo. But with the changes in looks (subtle maybe, but does make the car palatable) and the K-series engine, the Estilo is back in the reckoning, which must be reflecting in the 5K sales (though still low by Maruti's small-car sales figures).
K-Series 3 pot FE engine? I would think of it as the most hyped 1L engine compared to the competition.

Last edited by HammerHead : 13th May 2010 at 14:48.
Old 13th May 2010, 14:52   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
You kept mentioning "perceptions", which was why the response that perceptions can take you only so far.

Maybe when Maruti started off here, there was no competition, but atleast for last 10 years or more there is enough competition from Ford, Hyundai, Honda, GM etc in most of its range except the M800/Alto.
Thank you for your prompt reply.

Whenever there is competition in small cars, Suzuki (not Maruti) have tried & brought the better car or least have tried its best to give a decent fight resulting in good cars to customers. But, that is all as a manufacturer which started with Taxpayers' Money all they could manage was small cars, a beach buggy & failed sedans. There could have been better cars from them especially when they have the better engines abroad, like the 1500cc petrol (in Swift & also in SX4 & Gypsy), & they have a 1600cc diesel mill as well which they shy from launching in India.

I have no grudges against Maruti, but there are certain management policies like managing the shop floor well to cater to demand that irks me the most (apart from routine rattling sounds that my Rs.5 lacs car may produce but the older Rs.4 lacs car does not produce). Please note that Maruti has the biggest capacity in India amongst all car makers, yet they have unpardonable delivery delays in case of Dezire [I suggested the same to few & they came back, pissed off with the waiting period, complaining that I had no knowledge about cars (my passion). Then I suggested Fiesta Diesel & they are more happy that previous Maruti experience].
The problem with Maruti is that they have useless products (M800 when Alto is there; Omni when Eeco is launched), prehistoric engines (old 800cc mill, which they tried to convert to BS4 but could not do so because of injector problem) & they are yet to find a solution with car rattles (only better than STU buses). In my opinion, the production capacity wasted on above can be used for better latest products & engines.

& I think that I have posted the same earlier as well.
Old 13th May 2010, 15:18   #109
BHPian

I think this is yet another Maruti Fanboy vs. the rest topic. Boring thread, I'm off it. Marutis are common cars. There are better alternatives in the market and on the average Fiat, Tata and Ford have good A.S.S. One or two showrooms or service stations may need to improve, give the feedback and watch that work. You need to make good cars to sell. Not A.S.S alone.

By and large, Maruti only has the largest selling cars in any bracket except the SX4. They have a first mover advantage. So what? They do not make the best cars. Period. Why do Indians buy them? The reason is well known.

Swift D will sell ? yes. Is it the best car ? NO.
Anything more to be discussed ?
Signing off this thread, disgusted.
I would only say, if you are a BHPian and know better, then don't let A.S.S be your only factor for buying a dud. Frankly, 90% of people don't drive beyond 150 kph and should'nt (and don't) care about that. Swift is not a performance car by any means if you look at International standards. It's just a better styled Point A-Point B vehicle.

What MUL should do is improve the jarring suspension and extend the chassis a little bit (to increase rear legspace) for Swift to be a more complete car. But they won't , simply because Indians worship the Swift as it is, and will sell as is. The amount of fanboy-ism (especially in t-bhp) is crazy.Atleast don't prejudice more people with your subjective views. For the record, the Swift does not have a hydraulic power steering so I simply fail to understand how it can be called a driver's car. EPS on any Maruti is plain lifeless.

What I'm saying is - people like GTO have set the standard for unbiased reviewing , if someone asks you to buy a car.-Don't just say "Buy a maruti - it is the only thing that gives complete peace of mind". It should be "here are the alternatives". Now decide, take a test drive and choose. Direct them to team-bhp reviews. Let them decide.If they still choose a Maruti , , what can you do ? Maruti sells , sells and sells. But I will never agree that it is the best. (Disclaimer : I own one too, so I am sitting on the wall, neither fanboy nor against .)
Old 13th May 2010, 15:28   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP
But, that is all as a manufacturer which started with Taxpayers' Money all they could manage was small cars, a beach buggy & failed sedans.
Is it bad to be making small cars ? Especially in a market where the majority buyers are in that segment ? Not in my opinion.
What is the "beach buggy" and "failed sedans" that you are referring to ?

Quote:
There could have been better cars from them especially when they have the better engines abroad, like the 1500cc petrol (in Swift & also in SX4 & Gypsy),
Is displacement all there is in an engine ? I have moaned about the sorry performance of our 1.3P Swift, but I guess the new 1.2l engine fixes that, doesn't it ?

Quote:
but there are certain management policies like managing the shop floor well to cater to demand that irks me the most
Did not understand this part.

Quote:
apart from routine rattling sounds that my Rs.5 lacs car may produce but the older Rs.4 lacs car does not produce.
Be my guest when you come down south and you can see a 5L hatch and 6L sedan from Maruti, neither of which have any rattles. And this is even after 3 serious hits that my Baleno has taken - an Amby, a Jeep-pickup and an M800. From my experience, I could write rattles off as another perception.

Quote:
The problem with Maruti is that they have useless products (M800 when Alto is there; Omni when Eeco is launched),
Sort of like Santro/Accent being around when i10/Verna is there, right ? Different people, different needs - thats all there is to this. An M800 might be a tin-box on wheels for you, but that serves as a reliable, low-cost transportation option for many, which is why it is still there. Let other manufacturers come with options in that segment and you will see Maruti scrambling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead
I see that again as a perception!! Before, GM=Chevy=Opel=German/American=bomb to maintain. Where as there are few people know that Now, GM=Chevy=Daewoo=Korean=relatively cheap to maintain. Now to kill that perception GM had to offer the 3-year maintenance plan.
You do agree that the Opel part was real. If so, how does a customer trust the same parent company after burning his fingers once. Thats where the 3-year plan comes in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead
K-Series 3 pot FE engine? I would think of it as the most hyped 1L engine compared to the competition.
Maybe. But not many buyers are bothered about the 3-cyl engine - decent drivability and FE would do.
Old 13th May 2010, 15:31   #111
BHPian

I dont foresee a Swidt D beater in the near future.

Diesel Beat or Diesel Figo might chalk around 4-6K(including petrol) per month but I cant see them selling 12K per month.

Unmatched performance,styling,FE and A.S.S has/is/will ensure Swift D to be the segment leader.
Old 13th May 2010, 15:39   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
Exactly my thoughts, I'm also outta here
Old 13th May 2010, 15:43   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Value for money = Figo
Performance, looks, quality and everything else = i20 CRDI.

The swift is simply outclassed by these two.
Figo yes. i20 crdi is a great car, but then its almost 2 lacs more expensive than the Swift VDI. For that you get better built, equipments list , classier looking. I have driven both and i would pick Swift for the handling!
Old 13th May 2010, 15:54   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would only say, if you are a BHPian and know better, then don't let A.S.S be your only factor for buying a dud.
+1
You got it right! Am signing off too...
Old 13th May 2010, 16:02   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Punto D will sell ? NO. Is it the best car ? NO.
- No, SIDINDICA has given verdict in his tribute thread!
-Neither anybody is invited, nor a farewell is warranted.
Old 13th May 2010, 16:09   #116
Senior - BHPian

For a driver, the swift has very good front seats. Its fun and handles better than Figo or i20. People confuse ride quality with handling.

I see people who never signed in signing off...
Mods might be lurking around to see when they can close the thread.
Old 13th May 2010, 16:10   #117
Team-BHP Support

Since quite a few of us think that whatever had to be said has been said already, closing this thread.

Please report this post in case someone wants to add more. Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks