Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 23:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Will we ever see a Swift D beater hatch?

Looks like a big no to me right now and for a couple of more years. There just isn't a diesel hatch which can stand up to Swift in terms of show and go. While show is subjective and cannot be measured by an instrument, acceleration and top speed can be and Swift D just leaves every other diesel Hatch in dust--the reason why it has grown from strength to strength. In spite of not featuring things like climate control, electric door mirrors, airbags, rear wiper/defogger, steering mounted controls etc. which the competition like Punto/i20 are providing, Swift is market leader. Wonder what would have Swift done if it had come with all these goodies. It would have probably wiped out all cars upto 10 lakhs. A friend did not buy Swift just for lack of these features. He went ahead and bought Punto E pack. He is happy with it but cribs about the fact that a Swift D can smoke it hopelessly on highway.

Isn't it surprising that Fiat's own baby is doing wonders for Swift but is not a scorcher in Punto. May be it is tuned for fuel economy. When will guys at Fiat realise that economy buyers buy Nanos, 800s and Altos and stretching fuel consumption for 2-3 kms more and sacrificing pick-up/top speed is a big NO. Hope Punto Sport with 90 BHP engine may change things a bit.

BTW I don't even want to talk about 3-cylinder rattlers Beat and Polo will come with ( when they do after a few months/years ). Swift D will run rings around these cars.

I wonder if MUL have a mole in every rival carmaker to ensure that they do not make a Swift beater. How else can we explain that all these other car makers are just watching hopelessly in the sidelines? If these guys read Teambhp forums then I would like these guys to be shamed into some action and pretty fast. Swift's strengths coupled with rivals' inaction has turned this into a supercar.

I have nothing against Swift but monopoly is a very bad thing for the market. There should always be "balance of power" so that every manufacturer is on his toes and the customer gets the best. Meanwhile Swift can equip all the above-said features in its top end version and watch all cars up to 10 lakhs disappear.
Old 10th May 2010, 23:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Figo TDCi. Why is that not here?
Old 10th May 2010, 23:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

For two reasons-plain looks and a 68 BHP engine. It is great value for money and looks like the only one which can churn up some numbers by virtue of its great VFM. But it cannot match Swift in looks and go. Otherwise a good car overall. But what is with that penny-pinching--no powered rear glasses?
Old 10th May 2010, 23:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Figo has wafer thin bumpers, poorer FE. But it also has got other great features which the Swift doesn't sport. Only time will tell if it can match the Swift in terms of sales.
Old 10th May 2010, 23:43   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I would hold off on the Figos FE claims for a little bit more and see what the reality is.
Also, the reason is that it is a great drivers car in the city, and I am quite sure if driven properly can smoke a Swift. I know the fiesta D can if raced in the city against a Swift, though the highways have a different story.
Here is a hot hatch coming up soon - The Punto Sports.
Practicality - Figo
Fun - Punto
Safest in terms of lower overall cost to maintain - probably the Swift.
Old 11th May 2010, 00:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Figo has wafer thin bumpers, poorer FE. But it also has got other great features which the Swift doesn't sport. Only time will tell if it can match the Swift in terms of sales.
Not sure if Figo can match Swift's appeal. We will know when Figo's novelty wears off. Remember Ritz, Swift's own stablemate? Same engine as Swift, nearly same performance, more features at less price. Yet, Ritz has just vanished off Autocar's top 10 cars sales radar for the month of March. People just seem to prefer Swift. Regarding Figo, I will hold it much above Fabia/Polo/Beat. 4-cyl versus 3-cyl engines. Any day better. But I feel if there is a car which can give Swift a run for its money then it is Punto Sport. Fiat, please do not screw things up this time around.

Last edited by pgsagar : 11th May 2010 at 00:04.
Old 11th May 2010, 09:05   #7
BHPian

The i20 D can beat the swift hollow in all areas except price.
Old 11th May 2010, 09:21   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Will we ever see a Swift D beater hatch?
Yes, it's called the Indica Vista Quadrajet.

Superior to Swift D in most parameters. Comparing car to car the only advantages of the Swift D over the Vista are somewhat sportier handling, and the turbo kick (Indica OTOH has a linear power curve that many people prefer).
Old 11th May 2010, 09:27   #9
BHPian

Swift is a winner because of various factors IMO

1) Looks- Its different from any other shape seen on Indian roads. Most people love it while some (inc me) dislike it.
2) Well tuned Diesel engine and pretty good refinement. Only diesel hatch that can beat it in this department is Indica Vista (now that Getz D is stopped) but vista has the image attached to it.
3) Stonking turbo. Even though its preceded by the huge lag, people seem to love the turbo and that settles the deal. I dont see any car being as fun to drive as a Swift D. (again no Getz D, i20 is too expensive at the moment)
4) Mileage. In spite of the so called power, it delivers amazing mileage. Ask the owners.
5) MARUTI - This name is a minimum guarantee. I personally have high value for their A.S.S and extremely low cost of ownership (had a Zen before). Imagine Ritz being brought out by any other manufacturer. It would not even have sold 1000 units a month.

A Swift beater will take some time to come, but I'm sure when the competition flares up, Maruti will step up the game again. I'm no Maruti fanboy, but you got to give it respect for what its achieved.

Last edited by krish3 : 11th May 2010 at 09:29.
Old 11th May 2010, 09:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

The sudden turbo of the swift may be called sportier but this may work against the clutch life in the long term, or may be some more parts, and so i would prefer indica vista Q over the swift mainly for this reason.
Old 11th May 2010, 09:48   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post

Superior to Swift D in most parameters. Comparing car to car the only advantages of the Swift D over the Vista are somewhat sportier handling, and the turbo kick (Indica OTOH has a linear power curve that many people prefer).
I agree with you, I own a Swift D but I feel that Indica Vista can beat the Swift interms of Features like climate control AC, ABS, Legroom and Pricing, When it comes to FE Swift-D does better than Vista, we drove Vista twice from Chennai to Madurai and we got a FE of 14.5, I often drive my Swift D from Chennai to Kanyakumari and I consistently get a FE of 20km/litre.
Old 11th May 2010, 09:55   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post

+1. I was thoroughly impressed by the Vista's linear power train. Awesome in the city. I have not driven it on the highway and cannot comment on that. The ride quality over patchy road is great too. The fit and finish can improve in the vista though.

The Swift has a stiffer ride but handels effortlessly!

I personally do not like the looks of the stock swift. Some mods make the car look fantastic!

IMO Swift is the Hatch king in the near future!
Old 11th May 2010, 10:20   #13
BHPian

Still to find a Swift beater in terms of performance, FE, Looks and Peace of mind

I think Getz was the only Swift beater thus far. It could easily smoke Swift any day. With that gone, the only beater currently is i20, though on pricing it would be far behind. Also it is not a great handler like Swift. I think the biggest advantage that Swift has its also the Maruti Tag that gives the consumers great peace of mind. Swift is truly a driver's delight especially with the younger folks who love to rip it on highways. In addition it is extremely mod friendly making it another reason for purchase. It is also better looking than most hatches (I feel only Polo is better in looks - again purely my perception). The Figo might be a great handler as well, but it is really short on power to come close to the Swift. The Punto in its current form is lethargic. The VGT engine on the Punto could change things for Fiat, but surely that would make it even costlier thus enhancing the gap with the Swift.

Taking all factors into consideration, Swift will continue to dominate at least in the near future. Even with increasing competition, Swift could continue its dominance by either launching the new swift or offering additional features in the existing version (Airbags, ACC etc).
Old 11th May 2010, 10:49   #14
BHPian

Wonderful. This is exactly the reason why I dont see myself replacing the Swift once my company lease expires next year. Though I may not be a fast driver, I just love the acceleration on the highways and I dont see any other car in this price range that comes close to "driver happiness" while driving.
Old 11th May 2010, 10:55   #15
BHPian

There was one. We called it the Getz CRDi.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed