Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2010, 11:11   #16
BHPian

But the Getz Crdi failed due to its insane initial pricing. Which ever car is mentioned here as superior fails as an overall appealing car, which is where the Swift comes in.

The common man has accepted Swift wholeheartedly. Its like Rajnikanth's case. There are better actors, more handsome actors, better build actors, whatever anyone might say about him, for sheer superstar appeal and fan following there's no match. (Now don't take me as a Rajni fan pls)
Old 11th May 2010, 11:24   #17
BHPian

Figo can beat swift.

I have driven the swift D extensively and also drove my new figo titanium just recently from tvm to chennai through some not very good roads. I can bet that the figo will beat the swift sales in 6-8 months if ford is able to keep the ownership cost down(meaning not a lot of niggling issues) and also meet the demand in a reasonable manner. Stock swift vs stock figo performance difference on our highways is not as much as people think. Figo feels much more solid and comfortable than the swift while the swift has a slight perfromance advantage.

A peted swift with wider tyres is a whole different story though . So the enthusiast will still go to the peted swift but for 99% of the car buyers figo will become the default purchase.The new Figo's FE is not bad at all.

Maruti/Suzuki operates on very high margins in india and it's time that they pass that benefit to the customer. Right now low cost ownership is the USP of any maruti not just swift. Let's see if ford and it's figo can change this.
Old 11th May 2010, 11:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

The Swift did wonders for Maruti. I've always hoped they upgrade / move ahead in time rather than rest on their laurels just as they did during the Esteem Era. Right now they are in a position where they can take the customer for granted. Leave alone some of the unavailable very basic features that you expect in a car, which manufacturer can decide no to pass on the excise benefits and club that with increased prices due to "input costs" and still get away with it!!!

Swift Surely is a "market leader" and the DDiS has contributed a major share in maintaining its position over these years. Seriously i dont see things changing anytime soon except if Maruti screws up something terribly with the Swift Upgrade.
Old 11th May 2010, 11:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Performance wise i think the i20 crdi should be much quicker.

98bhp, 220nm, 1085kgs. 0-100 is supposed to be around 10.7-11 secs (Swift does it in 13.8-14)

Shan2nu
Old 11th May 2010, 11:42   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Performance wise i think the i20 crdi should be much quicker.

98bhp, 220nm, 1085kgs. 0-100 is supposed to be around 10.7-11 secs (Swift does it in 13.8-14)

Shan2nu
Yeah, spec per spec I20 diesel beats swift in all dept(except well planted, video game like handling of swift). Yet, there is something in Swift that remains unbeatable - guess what... I don't know! probably something beyond specs.

Last edited by Ajay_J : 11th May 2010 at 11:44.
Old 11th May 2010, 11:50   #21
BHPian

swift scores in looks , handling and powerful engine. if figo can come up with a more powerful petrol engine it can be close. figo will score in space, but again after sale service and spares MS will excel
Old 11th May 2010, 11:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

The Indica was, is and always will be a TAXI no matter whether you have a Quadrajet or you can bring in a Millionjet but what will you do with that TAXI image.

The Swift D is like an alluring Video game where the batteries just go on & on & on....
Old 11th May 2010, 12:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

Swift D has no beater only in volume of Sales!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Looks like a big no to me right now and for a couple of more years. There just isn't a diesel hatch which can stand up to Swift in terms of show and go.
Swift and show? It's everywhere in our roads. Actually too many of them. May be that's one reason, Swift isn't a looker anymore in my eyes. It has lost its road presence.

In terms of looks and road presence, GP is far far ahead of Swift already.

The peppy nature of VDi is something which stands out anyway. But Getz CRDi is there to beat it.
Swift D is a hatch with decent looks and good service support, has good FE and has our national engine under hood, and that's it.

In terms of volume of sales, no beater of course! Maruti sells it right?

Quote:
Meanwhile Swift can equip all the above-said features in its top end version and watch all cars up to 10 lakhs disappear.
It's a joke right? Do you think Maruti will ever sweat on making these cars feature rich as long as lot of sales happen?
Just try comparing features of Swift with Polo / GP / Vista / Figo. Forget about the 10L cars for the moment.

Last edited by clevermax : 11th May 2010 at 12:20.
Old 11th May 2010, 12:07   #24
BHPian

I don't know what you are referring to when you say "beater" but for me the Getz CRDi and Indica Vista Quadrajet Aura are better cars than the Swift.
Old 11th May 2010, 12:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Beater in what sense?

If you are taking about sales nos, yes, no-one can beat Swift D.

Otherwise, there are equally if not more competent diesel hatches in the market - Punto MJD, i20 Crdi, Indica Vista Quadrajet, Figo Tdci etc.
Old 11th May 2010, 13:28   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
Yeah, spec per spec I20 diesel beats swift in all dept(except well planted, video game like handling of swift). Yet, there is something in Swift that remains unbeatable - guess what... I don't know! probably something beyond specs.
Something beyond spec if the word of mouth. Generally what people outside the world of Team-Bhp do is go for the word of mouth instead of the Test Drive.
Old 11th May 2010, 13:38   #27
Senior - BHPian

In terms of volume, no car can beat it just because we Indians are obsessed with Maruti.

Looks - I do not like this Mini cooper homage!! My little Spark with black Alloys turn more heads than Swift. Plus most of the Swifts on road have loads of scratches on them!!

I love to see the launch of Punto Sports and an Vista Sports version (something like the yellow one displayed at the Auto Expo).
Old 11th May 2010, 13:48   #28
gou
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't it surprising that Fiat's own baby is doing wonders for Swift but is not a scorcher in Punto. May be it is tuned for fuel economy. When will guys at Fiat realise that economy buyers buy Nanos, 800s and Altos and stretching fuel consumption for 2-3 kms more and sacrificing pick-up/top speed is a big NO. Hope Punto Sport with 90 BHP engine may change things a bit.
Though the engines in both Punto and Swift are tuned differently, but major difference in these cars is the weight. Punto is much heavier and if I am not wrong I remember reading that it weighs 1190 kg. Thats heavier than some of the sedans.

Punto definitely beats Swift in terms of looks, but Swift with some modifications will be a close second (purely my opinion). Everytime I see a Punto I feel like having it.

Lets see when Punto with 90bhp is launched and how it performs. But I definitely think that it can't defeat Swift in terms of sales, as people are still vary of Fiat A.S.S.

Definitely I would like to see more competition in this segment instead of monopoly.
Old 11th May 2010, 14:16   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The Indica was, is and always will be a TAXI no matter whether you have a Quadrajet or you can bring in a Millionjet but what will you do with that TAXI image.

The Swift D is like an alluring Video game where the batteries just go on & on & on....

I find it amusing that people go on harping about the taxi image of some cars. There are Skoda's and Mercedes being used as taxi's around the world but that does not dent the image of a Skoda or a Mercedes. Heck here in Germany the new Mercedes E-class was being used as a taxi even before it was launched in India. Now do you think the people will not buy a Mercedes because of it's taxi image?
Old 11th May 2010, 14:18   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Looks - I do not like this Mini cooper homage!! My little Spark with black Alloys turn more heads than Swift.
That is breaking news Latheesh. Lets not bash Swift this badly now.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks