Team-BHP - Remote speed monitoring cameras on highways in TN
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Remote speed monitoring cameras on highways in TN (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/81241-remote-speed-monitoring-cameras-highways-tn.html)

Remote speed monitoring cameras are proposed to be installed on NH45 in TN to catch cars speeding over 80kmh which is the speed limit.
Speeding tickets will be sent to your address if you are caught on camera.

-From todays HINDU.

If this is implemented, we can assume that cameras will be installed on more highaways in the long run.
If that is the case, then what is the point of cars that do 200kmph . As of now the only roads where we can atleast
go anywhere near the capabilities of big cars is on the highways.

Also considering that even the humble Alto can do 100 easily, is the speed limit of 80kmp a little archaic.
What is the point of govermnet spending crores of rupees on upgrading the highways if all we are allowed
to do is crawl along them at a snails pace.

Isnt it more pratical to set the speed limit for different roads based on how safe or dangerous they are.
For example isnt it counterproductive, restricting the speed to 80 on a straight road with very good visibility and
less traffic when the goverment has spent truck loads of our money making the roads multi-lane and straight.

PS-Did not find similar thread on search. Plz merge if thread exists.

I wonder if the mantri/politicians convoys which zoom around much faster than that will be penalized by this system. Or will they get a waiver in the name of security?

Is this for real? Electronic Polizei coming to Indian highways?!

People will start having their number plates partially hidden or will have numbers written using a bad font, as you can see in many bikes in Blr.

Firstly its a good initiative- we cant have free for all highways.
But then given that these are remote & stationary, they'll be well marked out soon and you'll see sections of crawling traffic interpersed with speedy sections....

IMO i think it is a good initiative from TN govt ,however they need to increase the speed limit to 100 where there is divided carriageway .Also the offending cars should be challaned at the next toll plaza along with toll charges instead of mail to addresse which will not see the light of the day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vigneshA (Post 1879709)
Firstly its a good initiative- we cant have free for all highways.
But then given that these are remote & stationary, they'll be well marked out soon and you'll see sections of crawling traffic interpersed with speedy sections....

I have read about equipment which can be fitted to cars, which detects speed sensors and gives warning so you can slow down . lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm_arjuna (Post 1879728)
IMO i think it is a good initiative from TN govt ,however they need to increase the speed limit to 100 where there is divided carriageway .Also the offending cars should be challaned at the next toll plaza along with toll charges instead of mail to addresse which will not see the light of the day.

Might not be practical since most people will argue that they were doing below limit and the toll plazas might get congested. I have already paid a fine for crossing yellow line here in chennai in the city . The ticket was sent to my house and i was asked to go to a particular station near my house to pay the fine.

what about camera jackers, how these cameras are theft proof?

There was a scientific study conducted which point the fact that keeping speed limits like this would actually contribute to traffic with little or no effect to safety.
We can already see a live example of this on the Worli-Bandra Sealink where they chose politically correct speed limits instead of those that would make sense due to recent couple of accidents.
It was more so due to the fact that the sea link work was incomplete and people were traveling in both directions on a bridge meant for only one direction.
Fear of being fined would make people slow down as in the case of the sea link and only cause inconvenience.

And the Volvo we took from Madiekri last night got to Majestic - almost 260 kms away - in under 4 hours. This is with a number of administrative and other stops. His top speeds were clearly in 3 digits :)

A "safe" speed is a function of a whole bunch of factors. The car is one of them, the weather condition, time of day, traffic density and composition, driver ability are numerous other factors. On some sections of the Mysore road, for instance, 80kmph is too high, and some its too low. If they're going to start enforcing such stuff, they need to do more homework as well.

what about the 'n' number of People on 2 wheelers (TVS50,Splendors) driving Head On towards the people driving on the faster lane(right) on a four lane road?
will the speed camera catch them??
Not really.
Most of the highways in TN have many many villages through which it passes , so you see lorries,tractors, local bus guys coming in the opposite direction just to save that little amount of fuel by not going to the designated roundabout to make a turn.

There are lot of radar detectors available in US, its just a matter of time its available in India or get one from US and its not costly also. So need not worry about these detectors, we have equipment to trace these and slow down when we are near to these as it will beep and signal.

And what if its out of state vehicle? The RTOs of different state are not integrated in India. So they wont get address also to post the fine details suppose the car which speed is KA registration :)

What we desperately need is a centralized registry of vehicles. It will not only help trace offenders but will also make tracing stolen vehicles so much more easier.

This is interesting news! Its a step forward in the right direction but I wonder how effectively these things can be implemented. Like already mentioned by my fellow T-BHPians, I doubt how this will work with existing RTO setups in different states working in silos.

Its a good thing to introduce speed limits on highways, but there are tons of other things which should be looked into first.

One of the major causes for accidents on highways is trucks and tractors which ply at night without any sign of rear brake lights or even any sort of light. A crackdown on this would save lot of lives.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shamanth (Post 1880171)
There are lot of radar detectors available in US, its just a matter of time its available in India or get one from US and its not costly also.

Kerala police is using speed guns for several years. I remember my friend getting caught for overspeeding in year 2000. they detected his speed with the speed radar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shamanth (Post 1880171)
And what if its out of state vehicle? The RTOs of different state are not integrated in India. So they wont get address also to post the fine details suppose the car which speed is KA registration

So what's the problem? They'll just ignore them!