Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2010, 21:23   #31
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Great way of giving a tribute to the Swift. The Swift really changed the middle-class families thought about a car. It deserves respect and parity. I'm glad you started off this thread sid. The Swift is definitely the King of all Hatchbacks.
No wonder I'm dying to get one soon !!
Old 14th May 2010, 23:32   #32
BHPian

Great thread. Swift certainly turned the tables for the MSIL stable. The design has still not aged and it looks as refreshing as ever.
Kudos Sid!! Keep up the good work.
Old 14th May 2010, 23:39   #33
Senior - BHPian

I so much waited for the Super 1600. that is available in UK, i think they makes them here but never sells them here in India. How unlucky we are.

MSIL should have option for customers like us who are true petrol heads, who are willing to buy them.

The FIAT engineered Diesel is superb.

But I have a grudge against MSIL for releasing the pathetic undesirable booted version, unfortunately called Dzire.

Also I have Grudge over DC and all his inspired fettler, who have done their best to turn this handsome car to a pathetic Weirdos, which fills the space on the thread that gives such a laugh and hatred simultaneously (weird and wacky thread).

THanks Sid for such a wonderful thread

Last edited by SirAlec : 14th May 2010 at 23:42.
Old 15th May 2010, 00:14   #34
BHPian

Hi Sid,

What a great writeup of this Little Master

My elder bro and I fell for her the day she was launched! We went to take a TD within the first month of launch and immediately booked a Blue Swift ZXI from popular. I even remember a letter published in the Indian Express, in which then Maruti MD Jagdish Khattar apologized to Maruti customers for such long waiting periods! We were extremely happy with the car and no wonder it created a revolution!
Old 15th May 2010, 11:32   #35
BHPian

Very good tribute for the inspiring Swift .
The swift still turns heads on the street and still puts a smile across my face every time I see one. The car and its design still appeals despite being 5 yrs old.
Old 15th May 2010, 13:48   #36
BHPian

Swift deserves all the kudos we are giving it. Just a few days back i was discussing amongst my friends that how swift is by and large one of the best cars in the country. It is a true Indian all rounder.
Old 15th May 2010, 23:45   #37
BHPian

I wish they can slot a 1600 100 bhp into the car insead of a 1200 K series.
Why don't we have enthusiasts run a car company?
Its like the roads are getting better but the cars are getting weaker.
Old 16th May 2010, 07:00   #38
BHPian

Hey Sid,
Wonderful write up. But its not fair. I have been thinking different ways to get away from the evil lure of this devil and think of another car but your write up has given this devil more tenticals to hold me back. I think I am gonna fall in its trap soon.
Old 16th May 2010, 18:28   #39
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Great Write up Sid. Well done for a deserving vehicle.
Many may not believe this. When I saw this car (DDiS) in Kapico Motors at Mount Road where they had their true value section in 2005, I went near and the Sales guys were extremely cordial and explained. I opened the bonnet and really amazed the quality and finish (eg the bosch hoses etc). Started the engine and listened for the sound and when I sat inside I really dono whether the engine is running or not. Came out and called some of my friends and told about this car and its engine performance. I did not TD it but some how thought this would be a great success.
-The Sales guy started following me regularly for a month or so, when I did not have any plans to buy this or any new car. I regret now and now the swift enquiry's esp DDis are handled in a much different way. One of the greatest success in the Indian Auto Industry. Hats off Maruti.
Old 16th May 2010, 21:13   #40

Dreamt, realised and enjoying!

The Swift spelt the ultimate luxury for a teenager who had just walked out of college, having been placed with an MNC in Bengaluru. My cousin got one of the first DDIS Swift's in Chennai and he was madly in love with her (& still is!). Got her OZ alloys from Malaysia, Bosch horns and HID kit from Dubai (sent by yours truly) and Stanley Napa Leather seats. She's still a beauty despite her 4 years.

When I moved to Dubai, I was determined I would have a Swift before I tied the knot. I did just that, got my Swifty last April. All white, got her alloys (Samurai series), an average ICU and apna desi Roots horn.

Albeit, I didn't know the whole history until this thread turned up. Thanks a zillion Sidnica for such a wonderful, useful write-up. Perhaps I will have my Swifty for a longtime and will explain such virtues to my children even as my dada had done so with me.

Car-lovingly yours,
Shahul
Old 16th May 2010, 21:38   #41
BHPian

yes, this tribute was in pending for long.Kudos to the car that pretty much set the standard for the modern indian car scene.performance and FE,practicality at a decent price.
Old 16th May 2010, 22:43   #42
Senior - BHPian

When the swift ddis was launched, I had an amazing experiance which I will share with you tomorrow or day after when the story continues. I am a bit underpowered in need of a workshop visit for my health.

Cheers
sid
Old 17th May 2010, 01:07   #43
BHPian

Wonderful write up Sid and wish you speedy recovery.

About the suspension - The new K-Series model has a softer suspension is what I heard on our Indian TV soup while they were reviewing about the new K-series engine launch in swift. Hope this doesn't spoil its fun to drive factor and the wonderful cornering ability.

Last edited by tush : 17th May 2010 at 01:09.
Old 17th May 2010, 14:31   #44
Senior - BHPian

Part 6: Diesel Rocks!

A tribute-Maruti Suzuki Swift-u.jpg

Kisi Roz tumse, mulaqat hogi.
Meri jaan us din, mere saath hogi..
magar kab na jaane, ye diesel ki barsaat hogi,
mera engine hai pyaasa, mera engine akeyla,
zara factory se tu, nikal ke saamne aa,
meri multijet...

Hum Bharatwasiyon ko gaddi di average se kitni mohabbat hai...
D
id I Ever Say Eternal Love?
It never screams, just grows deeper, its a one way love.

A tribute-Maruti Suzuki Swift-t.jpg

January 2007 saw the launch of much awaited diesel version of the swift called swift dee dee aaii eess, nee DDIS nee Diesel Direct Injection System.
The first compact diesel hatch to be powered by a modern common rail diesel engine built under license from Fiat at its spanking new engine facility at Manesar, it can also be termed as India's first "modern" diesel hatch. Packed with technology, this incredibly lightweight multijet engine gives you the nest of both worlds-performance, fuel economy, torque and low emissions.
But the biggest gamble was that it came from maruti, yeeeesss, maruti, of course, bhai maruti jo ki hamesha diesel gaddiyon ke khilaaf tha.

Their previous two diesel products, the zen-sational TUD5 diesel and the so called esteemed-TUD5 were just mere rolly polly hot lollies which melted without even being consumed in winters..

But why this change of attitude? Of course, opportunity knocks in and time to make a whole lot of hay while the sun shines, so why not do it? And boy, look at the response:

Blockbuster.

A tribute-Maruti Suzuki Swift-y.jpg

Launched in LDI, VDI and VDI with ABS versions, in seven colours-bright red, ozone blue, iridium gold, midnight black, sunlight copper, silky silver and finally-pearl metallic arctic white, all the other hip shades were withdrawn citing "lack of demand".
Price as kept at a competitive 4.68 to 5.50 lakh rupees to garner maximum market share as it easily had the first mover advantage and the wait list started growing, and growing, and continued to grow to 4 months in advance. But there are many reasons for this, mainly a car that trashes a myth that diesels cannot be fun to drive.

For a reasonable price, you get a hatchback that goes well, thanks to fantastic engine tuning by MSIL, handles well, rides well, looks good, is easy on the pocket and up to date with technology. Finally, in a era of "practicality and sensible" Indica diesel, the "enthusiasts' diesel car" finally arrived. Go to any college, and that white swift DDIS with fat tyres, fancy alloys and dark tints are an ever increasing common sight.

The car virtually enjoyed a monopoly for the first year and more than 50,000 were sold in the first year itself, a record of sorts. Competitors scrambled and went back to drawing board whereas manesar was churning out more swift diesels than petrols and demand kept on increasing day after day, month after month...and continues to be the same even after 3 years, with an average 60-80 wait in different parts of the country.

Time for maruti to give the swift its first mid life face lift, the quickest in the history of the company, to keep the pot boiling and increase more excitement in the product. What better time to refine perfection?

Part 7: The new Swift MMC-refining perfection

A tribute-Maruti Suzuki Swift-3.jpg

January 2008 saw another auto expo being held at Delhi and it was the biggest ever that time. Maruti did not publicly launch or announce the facelifted swift but one night after I attended the expo, I could see a white VDI with different "clear lens" lights.
The next day I called up my local dealer and asked about the changes and he confirmed the same. Better for real, minor features were added in each variant.
  • New front and rear bumper
  • New taillights
  • new grill
  • New alloy wheel design on the ZXI
  • New interior seat fabric
  • LXI/LDI gain "finally" LHS OSRVM
  • VXI/VDI gain a digital clock and a new rear head restraint design
  • ZXi gains the maximum-a new integrated stereo with illuminated steering mounted audio controls, 4 speakers, aux-in and a remote, tilt steering, premium upholstery etc.
All for a minor price increase in the range of 3-5 grand, the swift is now better value than ever. But that's not enough, as maruti wants to give the Indian market a shock by doing the unthinkable, by doing something dzirable perhaps?

A tribute-Maruti Suzuki Swift-i.jpg
sidindica is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2010, 18:27   #45
BHPian

Very very good write up Sid.

I was wondering when GTO would come up with a review on the new K series Swift but this one is truly wonderful.

OT: The ad appearing below when we click page numbers is really irritating. Looks like it's a recent addition :-(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks