Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2010, 17:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Soon, all cars will need a periodic "health checkup" in India. Compulsorily!

The Federation Of Automobile Dealers Associations (FADA) is working in a joint effort with SIAM to introduce a 'SAFE SERVICE CERTIFICATE' program for all vehicles including non transport vehicles. This is based on the MOT system followed in the UK. Mr SP Shah, President, FADA will be visiting the UK to understand the MOT system followed there. There are over 19,600 MOT Centres - commercial garages accredited by a specialized agency of the Department of Transport, namely, Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA) - to carry out periodic inspection & certification of private vehicles including passenger cars and two-wheelers in the UK.

Some high points and benefits of this initiative :
  • A 'SAFE SERVICE CERTIFICATE' and stickers to vehicle owners who would undergo the certification process from dealers authorized by FADA.
  • To be made COMPULSORY for ALL VEHICLES on the road.
  • A rebate of Rs.500( four wheelers) and Rs.200( two wheelers) during the time of insurance renewal to vehicle owners who possess this certificate. As of now Bajaj Allianz and ICICI Lombard have agreed to partner this initiative.
  • Presumably, cars maintained in a shoddy manner will NOT pass the certification. This kind of a certification will lead to vehicles being in good condition which in turn will lead to better fuel efficiency, a cleaner environment, safer roads and at the same time fetch a good resale value for the vehicle when being sold.
  • The business of insurance companies would also increase as with the reduction in the number of accidents, the claims for the motor insurance would also be reduced.
  • Dealers would gain from this initiative by way of increased repair and service activity at their workshops.
The program which is called the 'Voluntary Inspection & Certification' was launched by Dr Pawan Goenka, President, SIAM at the SAFE Annual Convention, 2010 in Chandigarh on 5th May 2010. This pilot project is for passenger vehicles that are more than 3 years old.

The 16 dealerships where this PILOT program will be run are :
  • Khivraj Motors Ltd, Chennai
  • Tanya Automobiles, Meerut / Lucknow
  • Sai Service Station Ltd, Mumbai
  • Fort Point Automotive Pvt Ltd, Mumbai
  • Navnit Motors Pvt Ltd, Mumbai
  • Samta Motors Pvt Ltd, Karnal
  • Kamal Auto Industy, Kota
  • Rishabh Motors Pvt Ltd, New Delhi
  • Deep Hyundai, New Delhi
  • Talwar Hyundai, Sikanderabad
  • Manickbag Automobiles, Belgaum
  • Commercial Automobiles, Jabalpur
  • Kamal & Company, Jaipur
  • Maurya Motors Ltd, Patna
  • JS 4wheel Motors Pvt Ltd, Alwar
  • Olympia Honda, Chennai
Soon, all cars will need a periodic "health checkup" in India. Compulsorily!-safe-pic-1.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 12th May 2010 at 13:22. Reason: Adding points
Old 11th May 2010, 18:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Surprising!!! No dealer in Bangy?

Quote:
As of now Bajaj Allianz and ICICI Lombard have agreed to partner this initiative.
Hmm, one more strategy to cover customers. Hope this will be followed by the public insurance guys too.
Old 11th May 2010, 19:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

This sounds similar to the discount that the insurance companies offer in US for being a good driver through out the year for no claims, tickets & being a good driver. Sincerely wish a success for this program even though the discount is less. I wish the they extend this soon to transport vehicles too. But how does one obtain this certificate & from where?

Last edited by aargee : 11th May 2010 at 19:23.
Old 11th May 2010, 19:42   #4
BHPian

My understanding>>
- This certificate is for the vehicle. It simply means that the vehicle has been serviced and that its in a good condition and wouldnt cause a technical failure.
- If i get this certificate, there will be a discount on offer on insurance.

So the final benefit to the customer depends on Discount - Certification Cost.

Somehow i am not able to see a great benefit . Can somebody explain better

Also we already have a rudimentary system through a cumulative no-claim bonus.
Old 11th May 2010, 20:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

This is just a "Fitness Certificate" for cars newer than 15 years?
I'd rather prefer something like Britain's MOT which is standardized by the RTO.
Old 12th May 2010, 13:32   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Let me be the first to congratulate the FADA & SIAM on this FANTASTIC initiative. To put it simply, let me give the example of the United States. 18 States require an annual (or bi-annual) checkup COMPULSORILY. When I was in Boston (MA), my Accord required an annual checkup that cost $29 (IIRC). The checkup was performed on my car from an approved garage / service station. Among other things, the verification included:

- A check on the tyres
- Whether my car's emissions were within pollution limits
- All lights working
- Quick run on the steering, brakes and acceleration
- Condition of the body (severe rust, loose panels etc.)
- And more

One brake light has conked off, and my Accord didn't pass the inspection. Got the bulb replaced, paid the $$$ fee and passed the inspection. A sticker indicating the validity of this checkup was stuck on my windscreen. Hefty fines are imposed if one drives a car with an expired inspection sticker.

I am all for this move, and hope that it is implemented at the national level sooner rather than later. Without a doubt, it will lead to far safer roads. C'mon, India suffers from 400 road deaths EACH DAY. This will go a long way in saving lives on Indian roads. I suppose the following cars will NEVER pass the proposed inspections:

- Cars & CVs running with bald tyres
- No lights working. How many times have you seen a truck plying on the highway with no head / tail lights?
- 400 BHP Honda Citys . Include free flow exhausts and the like too.
- Rusty old junkers

Proper implementation is as important as a great idea. I suggest the strictest methods possible, including 1000 - 2000 rupee fines for driving without the "safe service certificate".
Old 12th May 2010, 13:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Adding to the list of non conformance - almost all the state govt vehicles, right from govt buses, corporation water lorry, jeeps & the worst of all, corporation garbage collection lorry. One thing to appreciate is the police patrol vehicle in Chennai, the Qualis & the Accents are still maintained or forced to maintain in mint condition. If this idea is to be implemented seriously, then a private (insurance companies) public partnership is definitely required.

Last edited by aargee : 12th May 2010 at 14:00.
Old 12th May 2010, 13:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hope this doesn't open a parallel market of touts and agents and fake certifications.
Old 12th May 2010, 14:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Some questions :

1. What would be the charge for getting this certificate for a 2-wheeler and a 4-wheeler ?

2. If this system is introduced, will the PUC be abolished ?

3. What prevents the owner of an unhealthy vehicle to get this certificate by bribing the service centre or by using contacts ?

4. What prevents a cabbie from borrowing good tyres for a day to get the certificate and then put back the bald tyres after getting the certificate ?

Rohan
Old 12th May 2010, 14:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

It looks like increased business to service centres. Not sure why rules cannot be enforced by the authorities without all this?
In a country like ours, if you can get this service done by paying money and getting a certificate, its even easier to get the same certificate by a paying less.
Old 12th May 2010, 14:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

There you go, even before the proces is put to practice the loopholes are already identified.
I am for this system coz the vehicle owner would always benefit from it. Insurance discounts, resale value of car, lesser maintenance major advantages.
Just wanted to know how the fitness certificate and the sticker co-relate? better would be if the sticker had RFID tags included, easy to scan and record.
Old 12th May 2010, 14:38   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
almost all the state govt vehicles, right from govt buses, corporation water lorry, jeeps & the worst of all, corporation garbage collection lorry.
Absolutely. The new mantra for any vehicle plying on our roads should ideally be "Maintain or Perish".

Quote:
If this idea is to be implemented seriously, then a private (insurance companies) public partnership is definitely required.
Agreed. It has the potential to become a win-win for everybody. Car owners will have to - compulsorily drive properly maintained cars. Safer for the car owner, and everyone else on the road as well. The certification fee is more than recovered through the insurance savings of 500 rupees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
What would be the charge for getting this certificate for a 2-wheeler and a 4-wheeler ?
Don't know, but I can tell you that our PUC charge of 50 - 100 rupees is amongst the cheapest in the world. The cost of the proposed safe certificate program has to be reasonable, for it to emerge successful.

Quote:
If this system is introduced, will the PUC be abolished ?
I'd think so.

Quote:
What prevents the owner of an unhealthy vehicle to get this certificate by bribing the service centre or by using contacts ?

What prevents a cabbie from borrowing good tyres for a day to get the certificate and then put back the bald tyres after getting the certificate ?
Nothing. There will always be ways to bypass the law, but that should NOT be a deterrent to superb initiatives and beneficial regulations (which this program is). Lets have some optimism here and hope that it is strictly implemented, for the benefit of all of us road users.
Old 12th May 2010, 14:59   #13
Team-BHP Support

If this is required then one needs to look at the infrastructure required

Testing stations - government and private run - frankly SIAM and insurance co's should regulate and certify.

RTO's - stop the fitness certificate business
Old 12th May 2010, 15:06   #14
BHPian

Looks promising only if its implemented fully. But whenever we have a new system, corrupt officials and touts start their own new business.

I really wish and hope that this is flawlessly implemented. Progressing India needs more and more systems like these in all aspects
Old 12th May 2010, 15:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Proper implementation is as important as a great idea. I suggest the strictest methods possible, including 1000 - 2000 rupee fines for driving without the "safe service certificate".
+1 to the implementation point. Unless this is implemented honestly and ethically (which i doubt is possible), its another regulation where one can simply "buy" the certificate.
I'm yet to see a single auto failing a PUC check! Infact most mobile PUC check stations run inside a dilapidated Maruti Omni that probably will not meet the norms!
But great initiative cause at least someone has made a start!

Most Viewed