Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2010, 15:16   #16
BANNED

Well, I may be bordering on the pessimistic, but I fail to understand how effective the implementation of such a move can be especially when PUC certificates, fitness certificates, almost everything can be either easily obtained by paying some extra money or by going in for a "namesake" test. Just that the amount paid here will probably be higher since it is supposed to be a more "comprehensive test" compared to a PUC.

Yes, this is a step in the right direction but its effective implementation still eludes me.

Last edited by n.devdath : 12th May 2010 at 15:17.
Old 12th May 2010, 15:57   #17
BHPian

What about inter-state movements?

Many of us drive across state borders multiple times a year, even driving from state capitals to interior regions within the same state. It is likely that the implementation of the 'safe-service certification' for vehicles will be driven down from Tier 1 cities to others. This would put vehicle owners from smaller regions at a distinct disadvantage when they drive to regions where the rule is applied.

I would hate to be fined just because I drove to one of the metro's without the safe-service badge on my car, provisions for excluding vehicles not registered in the area of enforcement must be implemented. Without this, all I can foresee are larger bribes than fines. Historically, such provisions have never existed.

I am all for implementing this initiative, and will be among the first to line up outside the testing center, but it must be done in a manner that is just, fair and does not create more victims than beneficiaries, in the interest of making it a popular, voluntary choice as against an enforced irritant.

Cheers,
Sriku
Old 12th May 2010, 16:15   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Well, I may be bordering on the pessimistic, but I fail to understand how effective the implementation of such a move can be especially when PUC certificates, fitness certificates, almost everything can be either easily obtained by paying some extra money or by going in for a "namesake" test. Just that the amount paid here will probably be higher since it is supposed to be a more "comprehensive test" compared to a PUC.

Yes, this is a step in the right direction but its effective implementation still eludes me.
Well said. The major challenge is effective implementation.

This has potential to make the roads safer and environment cleaner. But it will also increase the blood pressure of the vehicle owners. In the annual safety inspections in the US, you never know when the mechanic will fail a car. The main problem is with inspection shops which also have a repair shop attached; they would invariably find something wrong with a car, in order to drive business to their repair shop. In my case, the mechanic from a tire + repair shop called Firestone (avoid them like hell) found extra oil below the engine (potentially a small leak) in the power steering fluid, refused to pass the vehicle and gave a $800 list of things to get done. I took the car to another shop and he did'nt even look at the extra oil, just did the emissions and basic safety inspection and issued the sticker. And here lies the other end of the problem, vehicles can pass too easily.
Old 12th May 2010, 16:20   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwas View Post
In my case, the mechanic from a tire + repair shop called Firestone (avoid them like hell) found extra oil below the engine (potentially a small leak) in the power steering fluid, refused to pass the vehicle and gave a $800 list of things to get done. I took the car to another shop and he did'nt even look at the extra oil, just did the emissions and basic safety inspection and issued the sticker. And here lies the other end of the problem, vehicles can pass too easily.
Precisely. In India where dealers are known for their tricks to swindle customers in the name of so many gimmicks, imagine what would happen if they are given the authority, to inspect and issue something which is mandatory for every car, periodically.

This too is one major hurdle that needs to be looked into.
Old 12th May 2010, 16:30   #20
BHPian

Agreed that its a great initiative but I have my apprehentions on whether it will work. Also how are they going to keep a check? I say this because in India we do not follow the road tax systems followed by other countries, where people have to pay road tax every year. so the question is will this also be left to the cops? If that is the case, the way I see it is that the cops will get another way of making a quick buck and trucks/ cars will continue to run with bald tyres and without functioning lights.

I hope that will be taken care of in some way!
Old 12th May 2010, 16:36   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
This sounds similar to the discount that the insurance companies offer in US for being a good driver through out the year for no claims, tickets & being a good driver.
I think what you are talking about here is the No Claim Bonus and not part of the new initiative.
The idea of something like regular check up and certification sounds good. Especially when in going in for used cars, this can be a good indication.
Old 12th May 2010, 17:51   #22
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

All the mumbai taxi's would fail???

Somehow this seems to be a effort driven by a private organization leading to benifit of it's members rather. Yep a checkup would be good, but this needs to translate into government legislation making this compulsary for all cars.

As mentioned above, would any of our Taxi's or Trucks or even Govt buses pass this test. How could they even implement it where it is required the most?
Old 12th May 2010, 18:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I am all for this move, and hope that it is implemented at the national level sooner rather than later. Without a doubt, it will lead to far safer roads. C'mon, India suffers from 400 road deaths EACH DAY. This will go a long way in saving lives on Indian roads. I suppose the following cars will NEVER pass the proposed inspections:

- Cars & CVs running with bald tyres
- No lights working. How many times have you seen a truck plying on the highway with no head / tail lights?
- 400 BHP Honda Citys . Include free flow exhausts and the like too.
- Rusty old junkers

Proper implementation is as important as a great idea. I suggest the strictest methods possible, including 1000 - 2000 rupee fines for driving without the "safe service certificate".
One can always do what is done in the US. Just switch the car to stock, get a check-up, then go back to whatever contraptions you've had installed on your car.
Old 12th May 2010, 18:49   #24
BANNED

Good scope for corruption !

1st, we've to change our mindset, then only these kinds of things can be mass implemented or else it'll go the PUC certificate way !
Old 12th May 2010, 18:49   #25
Team-BHP Support

In the UK, you can only renew tax on production of an Mot cert and Insurance. OVer here we have the lifetime tax due to the failure of collection.

Now the UK has Automated number plate readers which process cars at random. If their mot or insurance has lapsed, they car is niked and released only if a fine is paid. Some cases the fine is more than the car so it gets crushed. Again driver gets penalised even if not the owner. Insurance will not pay out if car does not have an MoT
Old 12th May 2010, 22:03   #26
BHPian

Now all the vehicle owner need to maintain their vehicle properly. This way company will make lots of money. We usually land up braking our Indicator/OVRM as a regular activity. And this items are quite costly
Any how I personally feel that this should be implemented asap with a regular on demand check + hefty fine...
Old 12th May 2010, 22:52   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
The Federation Of Automobile Dealers Associations (FADA) is working in a joint effort with SIAM...
What's surprising is that this is a private initiative, and there appears to be no direct governmental participation in this.

The government is responsible for road safety, and should be taking the initiative on its own, with or without the participation of private players. There should be necessary enactment of laws and suitable changes in the CMVR to incorporate such checks and measures, and ultimate control, implementation and enforcement of such "health checkups" should rest with the government.

Why should a car owner obey a FADA/SIAM directive to have his car checked periodically? To get a Rs.500 discount from another private player, the insurance company? And if the owner refuses to have such a check done, who would be empowered by law to collect a fine? FADA / SIAM? I wouldn't think so.

There appears to be some kind of vested interest and hidden intention of wrongful financial gain in this.
Old 13th May 2010, 01:35   #28
abk
BHPian

Bravo! And a long way to go..

Excellent initiative in spirits However, like many other members have expressed their inhibitions about it's effectiveness due to inappropriate implementation, i too have my doubts. My guess: There would be a lot, i repeat, a lot of money making practices & avenues thronged initially. What needs to be seen is how quickly we overcome this foreseen cartel of corruption. I hope am proven over pessimistic.

Regardless, we should have it enforced. I'd even advocate of making installation of optical sensors to dip high beam to low automatically for oncoming vehicles mandatory on all cars. That the system is installed & it works should be included in the list of items to be checked. Would be good if the same agencies that check also run driving schools.
Old 13th May 2010, 09:27   #29
BHPian

Good initiative but the effectiveness of the same will die a sudden death in India. Just like PUC, this would just be another way to extract money by doing almost nothing.

In the past 4 years, I've never seen a single PUC station in Hyderabad/Bangalore which really measures the pollutant and RPM levels. I'm yet to see a PUC instrument which really works as intended in the last 4 years. They fill some standard templates with some random values which falls within limits and just give you a fake certificate. The numbers mentioned are in no way related to the vehicle under test.
Old 13th May 2010, 09:38   #30
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

this looks to be something like the MOT in the UK - Ministry of Transport Certification.
it is a good initiative for us in India but I do hope that it doesnt progressively deteriorate into a mere eye-wash here like most things seem to do.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks