Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2005, 15:58   #1
BHPian

Mahindra Classic or Maruti Gypsy

I heard lot of about Mahindra classic, after seeing it my office I really fell in love. One of wishes is to gift my dad a open top Jeep, because he extremely loves it. Please help me in choosing between mahindra classic or Maruti Gypsy.

Why there is so hype about Mahindra Classic and why Mahindra killed it. If I buy a Classic what would be sevice issues I will be facing ? Is it easily available in Market? I never seen even 1 ad so far in Hindu classifieds.
Old 19th October 2005, 11:37   #2
BHPian

I must admire your dad's choice of vehicles, I have a similar taste as far as vehicles go.. Both the Mahindra Classic as well as the Gypsy are excellent vehicles.. Mahindra is not promoting the classic anymore, whereas the Gypsy is expensive to maintain considering the petrol engine and the low mileage.. You might want to consider the chinkara Jeepster.. Although that vehicle is relatively new in the market and we don't have enough number of opinions on that vehicle..
Old 19th October 2005, 11:51   #3
Team-BHP Support

If your dad is not going to drive more than 1000-1500kms a month, then the gypsy mpfi is better as the only costs it will incur are the regular service and petrol. We used to own one, and other than the 10-12kmpl mileage(city and highway), it was an amazing machine. But if your dad is going to run it quite a bit, a diesel makes more sense.
Old 19th October 2005, 12:20   #4
BHPian

Mahindra classic looks stunning at every angle i personally like it better than the gypsy
i think you should go for the classic it may require a bit more service (look out for good service station)but it is worth it!!!! (gypsies are petrol so running cost almost equal) also the gypsies ride is very harsh and verv very bumpy and may be a problem for your dad

lookout the classic you are buying is in good working condition(especially the mechanics)

WORDS OF CAUTION: do check paperworks of the jeep and also the under body like the chasiss make sure the chasiss number is there and matches with the body and not tampered
there are people who are making these classics locally (looks almost like classic) and with forged papers etc....
Old 19th October 2005, 13:49   #5
BHPian

Thanks friends. My dad will drive at the most 5-10 kms (two to three 2 kms trip) per day. If the distance is longer than 5 kms he will use driver.

He used to say, he love to drive open top jeep when I am very young (less than 10 years old), but I stilll remember his words.

Probably I will present him a Gypsy because its easy to maintain.
Old 19th October 2005, 14:21   #6
BHPian

The gypsy isnt a bad choice but the plz do go to the service centers and find out if the spares are available.My friend had a tough time getting some spares as even the authorised dealers didnt have them in stock.I found the ride in the gypsy a bit uncomfortable too.maybe you need to check out out both before taking a decision.

Cheers....
Old 19th October 2005, 14:39   #7
Team-BHP Support

Yup thats a problem, but you may have problems finding spares for classic too(original ones that is)
One interesting info though, the clutch plate of a swaraj tractor is a perfect fit in gypsy king(Carburetted) .
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2005, 15:15   #8
BHPian

Irony of Life !

Well to start with both have a charm of their own...The Mahindra Classic has this old world charm to it while the Gypsy gives the image of a typical wild horse that needs taming...
The Gypsy has some serious issues with the back part of the vehicle having too much bounce in it...its good to be only a two seater...thats when its most fun...
The Mahindra Classic can be made to look like one of those old war jeeps...one of them Willy's...Go ahead...choose your style....
Regards...
Old 19th May 2006, 18:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

The Classic can't hold a candle to the Gypsy King 1.3L.

Both are bouncy and it is wrong to compare the ride of these with the current cars which have complicated suspension systems..

Can anybody throw light on why this happens ?

We were going flat out in my Gypsy King [Carb] to Kodai from Chennai [3 on board] and suddenly i found the road surface extremely bad [just a little after trichy],

I could not brake on time and just went through the potholes..BIG ones at 80ish or so and did not feel uncomfortable at all. Was very surprising.. Infact all that we heard was some thuds..

Every other car i have driven will rattle and provide feedback about the wheels entering the potholes right upto the steering wheel. Amazing I did not feel this..

Why does this happen? Any pointers..Is it because of lack of power steering? or is it to do with all the jeeps that have a steering damper to take the extra roughness..?
Old 19th May 2006, 18:51   #10
BANNED

Gypsy King any day! Had one for 8 years and loved every day of it. It makes even more sense since your dad won't be driving around too much.

Classic's nice, but really sluggish, which can be a pain in traffic.

Good to see someone opting for a real jeep instead of one of those pretender SUVs.
Old 19th May 2006, 22:07   #11
BHPian

Go for the Gypsy Period.
Old 19th May 2006, 22:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Don't even think twice! I've had both and the gypsy is better built, takes more abuse and is much more civilized than the Classic. the gypsy is really trouble free unless you have an accident. Body panels are expensive. if your dad is going to drive then the Gypsy is the only one. My Dad used to drive my Gypsy and really enjoyed it. He hated driving the Mahindra!
Old 19th May 2006, 23:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

For serious off roading there is no second thought that Gypsy is the best ...till date. But if the purppose is more inclined towards soft roading then classic might be a better choise as its got a better ride and look. The expenses of a petrol car is compensated by the maintenance cocts so the over all package stands equal to my opinion. Currently Im using my friends Gypsy with a 1.8L isuzu diesel in it....Its got not so gud ride due to stiff suspension but is pretty decent over all. 15kmpl for diesel is cool.

p.s: You can also look at some purpose built mahindra commanders, 540 ...

Last edited by The Wolf : 19th May 2006 at 23:53.
Old 20th May 2006, 02:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

Gypsy King with weights at the rear. Some well sealed sandbags will do the trick and if the ride is still a bit choppy, keep the sand watered. May sound silly, but a well weighted Gypsy rides a lot better than an empty one.
Old 20th May 2006, 03:15   #15
Team-BHP Support

Our gypsy king also had choppy ride, esp with the rear benches. To solution costed 1000rs.
Found an old premier padmini, took off the seat, removed the rear benches and put in that one seat. So if you dont have any six footers its good, othewise you need to remove the supports from the seat and see to that its sitting on the floor. The seating position becomes a little crouchy but its far far better than the stupid bench seats. Remeber premier padmini seat is good because of the thick cushioning, i think a M800/Indica etc, will also do.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks