Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2010, 22:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

GM India launches Chevrolet Aveo CNG EDIT: Mumbai launch details added to Post No. 1

General Motors India has launched the CNG version of its mid sizer, the Aveo.

Features of the CNG Aveo:
  • Sequential Injection kit with precise control of fuel delivery through electronic injectors ensuring efficient combustion.
  • Minimal deterioration in performance in petrol mode.
  • Hardened Valve seats and Anodized pistons are used in the proven 1.4L VGIS petrol engine. This ensures no engine damage or reliability issues on CNG mode.
  • Minimum service requirement owing to advanced electronic operation.
  • Reworked suspension that leaves the ride and handling unchanged after CNG kit fitment.
  • Will come with a 3year/ 1,00,000km standard warranty.

More info from the Official Press Release

GM India Launches CNG Version of Chevrolet Aveo

Ahmedabad, 13th May 2010 – General Motors India today launched the CNG version of its Chevrolet Aveo mid-size sedan at a ceremony presided over by its President and Managing Director Mr. Karl Slym. The Aveo CNG is a bi-fuel vehicle with a full-size petrol tank that is one of the most environmentally friendly cars available in India.

Speaking on the occasion, Mr. Slym said, “The launch of the Aveo CNG is a testament to the importance that GM India attaches to green technology and environmentally friendly mobility solutions. Its running cost is approximately 54 percent lower than a similar vehicle powered by petrol and 25 percent lower than a similar vehicle powered by diesel. Because of the lower operating economics and the growing number of CNG stations being built across India, this new offering is expected to appeal to both individual and fleet customers. Under normal driving conditions, the Aveo CNG has a range of 180 to 200 kilometres on a full tank of CNG and is BS IV compliant.”

The Chevrolet Aveo CNG is equipped with next-generation computer-controlled CNG injection technology from Italy. In an industry first, all “critical to quality” CNG kit components are fitted at the factory – including the CNG injectors, selector switch, modified wiring and suspension – to ensure high-quality and trouble-free service. In addition, the body is reinforced to carry the additional mass of the cylinder. Sequential injection represents the most advanced level of evolution of CNG kit technology. The ECU (Electronic Controller Unit) calculates the opening times of the injectors for each cylinder and acts separately on each gas injector with the highest precision.

Aveo CNG Benefits include:
  • The sequential injection kit offers precise fuel delivery control through electronic injectors, ensuring efficient combustion.
  • The engine offers stable performance in CNG mode.
  • The Aveo has a CNG-compatible engine. Hardened valve seats and anodized pistons are used in the proven 1.4-litre VGIS (Variable Geometry Intake System) petrol engine. This ensures no engine damage or reliability issues in CNG mode.
  • Minimum service is required owing to the Aveo CNG’s advanced electronic operation.
  • The suspension has been reinforced to support the additional mass of the CNG cylinder in the trunk.
GM India engineers have done extensive testing and validation of the Aveo CNG. The Chevrolet Aveo CNG comes with a three-year/100,000-km standard warranty, which is an industry first in the mid-size sedan segment, and a service interval of 5,000 km or six months (whichever comes first). During the run of the Aveo in pure CNG mode will not impact the vehicle
warranty.

GM India launches Chevrolet Aveo CNG EDIT: Mumbai launch details added to Post No. 1-aveo.jpg

Update: 16th July 2010: Mumbai Launch

Quote:
I am right now at the Grand Hyatt where GM India has just launched this Aveo CNG in Mumbai. The CNG kit and the other components are all factory fitted and that includes the CNG injectors, selector switch, custom wiring. Other modifications include modified suspension and body reinforcement to take the additional weight of the CNG cylinder.

Met up with Karl Slym, the President and MD of GM India. Some points he mentioned to me at the launch apart from the ones in the first part of this post:
  • The CNG kit is sourced from BRC Italy and has a capacity of 12 kg.
  • GM is targeting the taxi and feel market with the Aveo CNG. Infact there is a meeting with fleet owners and the taxi operators later this evening. Expect to see Aveos as your Meru cab ride sometime soon
  • The Beat LPG will be hitting the roads towards the end of this year.
  • The 3 year/1,00,000 kms includes warranty on the CNG kit. No separate warranty on the kit.
  • GM claims a combined range of 750 kms for the CNG variant (Petrol + CNG). Only CNG is expected to give a run of 180 to 200 kms.

Price for the Aveo CNG Rs. 6,31,257/- (Ex Showroom Mumbai)

Some pictures from the launch

GM India launches Chevrolet Aveo CNG EDIT: Mumbai launch details added to Post No. 1-p1150758.jpg

GM India launches Chevrolet Aveo CNG EDIT: Mumbai launch details added to Post No. 1-p1150760.jpg

GM India launches Chevrolet Aveo CNG EDIT: Mumbai launch details added to Post No. 1-p1150762.jpg

GM India launches Chevrolet Aveo CNG EDIT: Mumbai launch details added to Post No. 1-p1150763.jpg

GM India launches Chevrolet Aveo CNG EDIT: Mumbai launch details added to Post No. 1-p1150764.jpg

GM India launches Chevrolet Aveo CNG EDIT: Mumbai launch details added to Post No. 1-p1150765.jpg

Last edited by Dippy : 17th July 2010 at 10:30. Reason: Adding Mumbai update
Old 14th May 2010, 00:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

What is the ARAI mileage for this vehicle? Are there any changes other than relating to CNG?
Old 14th May 2010, 00:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Dippy,

Were there any indications that this might be available for the 1.6L engine too in the coming months and / or whether the stand alone kit would be available for sale to be retrofitted into older models of the Aveo.

Quote:
The Aveo has a CNG-compatible engine. Hardened valve seats and anodized pistons are used in the proven 1.4-litre VGIS (Variable Geometry Intake System) petrol engine.
Any idea whether this will apply to the 1.6 litre engine also.

I hope you don't mind the queries. It is just that I have been waiting for GM to launch this since they displayed the very neatly done kit in the Expo. My parents have a 2006 1.6LT option pack and I want to switch that vehicle to a CNG model for use as our generic office car so I can force them to move to another vehicle.

Last edited by khoj : 14th May 2010 at 00:53.
Old 14th May 2010, 00:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good move since Aveo sales have crashed massively.

Would be nice to know power, torque, 0-100 and ARAI numbers in CNG mode.
Old 14th May 2010, 05:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Whenever I hear about the word Aveo, I remember a funny incident that took place in Hertz at US. We were trying to get hold of Civic from Hertz but the sales person was showing me several cars that he'd on Ford, Cobalt, Aveo, Mazda R6 except Civic & basically he was trying to sell me Cobalt. When I pressed hard on Civic, he paused for a moment & asked me he could arrange an Elantra & work out discounts & said "its even better than Aveo" & I was like . Why would you want to consider a Korean product over a home grown product? Ever since then, somehow I get a feeling that Aveo is not a better car and I don't keep a look on it. Now I see its not doing well even in India.
Old 14th May 2010, 07:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Atlast, its here. Was suppose to be an year back. Probably they were too busy on new launches like beat & cruze.

Anyway, this is welcome move. But why not a LPG or Diesel, which is available almost every where in the country :(
Old 14th May 2010, 08:36   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Atlast, its here.
+ 1.

When i saw the thread title, i opened it thinking its an old thread. Was surprised to see May 2010 in the original post! A perfect example of 'too little too late'?

IMO, Chevrolet is just trying to keep the Aveo brand going till they can come up with a decent upgrade/ facelift? Probably the new European (American?) aveo hatch / the new chinese sedan?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th May 2010 at 08:38.
Old 14th May 2010, 09:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

I believe it will sell a few units more now that the Beat, Spark, Cruze and Tavera are getting customers in the Showroom. Ditto for Optra (but where's CNG optra?)
Old 14th May 2010, 09:32   #9
BANNED

They should look at launching the updated UVA toi rescue the sales! the current UVA looks horribly out dated in the face of the competetion!
Old 14th May 2010, 18:39   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It's a last ditch effort to save the Aveo and one, I think, will click with the commercial segment. Running a car on CNG is dirt cheap (dream on, LPG). The biggest advantage here is that the kit is fitted at the factory level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Were there any indications that this might be available for the 1.6L engine too in the coming months and / or whether the stand alone kit would be available for sale to be retrofitted into older models of the Aveo.
Nope, no such news at all.
Old 14th May 2010, 19:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

You know, I sincerely hope that this CNG version catches the fancy of the TAXI trade. This car has

1. The most comfortable rear seat this side of 8 lakhs, whether it is at 35kmph over city pot holes and patchy repair work or at 90 kmph out on the highway. Add to that excellent leg room in the rear very important on long drives.

2. Absolutely silent cabin. Once the windows are up, save for the loudest of Vikrams you cannot hear any traffic noise even if you try.

3. Planted drive on Highways. Excellent throw and brightness from stock bulbs. Good breaks have enough bite that do not fade away with usage.

4. Fairly well spread service network and cheap to maintain given GM's service packages and otherwise also, thanks to the CI block and otherwise simple design of the mechanicals involved.

5. Good boot space, should be able to take a fair amount of luggage even after the CNG kit tucks into the space between the wheel wells on two sides.

6. Fairly strong body structure and chassis, based on the crashed Aveos that I have seen in the workshops since 2006.

All the right attributes for the Taxi fleet owners and for the customers too. As they say a 'Win Win' for all concerned! Time will tell.

Last edited by khoj : 14th May 2010 at 19:23.
Old 14th May 2010, 19:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

I believe a Diesel would have been the best option to save this car from crashing. A friend has the 1.4 model and I was involved right from the booking till the PDI as per tbhp. Decent quality and overall experience. CNG is not freely available. Maybe its just an interlude to prolong the sales life of the car till the next generation comes in.

I never had any regard for this car, but after I got to drive it, I realised its not a bad choice as an entry level sedan (I tried to convince him for an i20 Asta, but the "car with boot is big car" and "you have arrived in life with a sedan" syndrome prevailed). And the price was very attractive - 6.08L with some freebies.
Old 14th May 2010, 20:51   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
+ 1.

When i saw the thread title, i opened it thinking its an old thread. Was surprised to see May 2010 in the original post! A perfect example of 'too little too late'?
+2
somehow felt that I had missed this thread earlier. Nice move by GM to take care of dipping sales of the sedan. If priced right it would be a hit with the taxi walahs. The 3yr warranty for the car sounds good.
Old 15th May 2010, 09:58   #14
SAS
BHPian

If I recollect correctly, I had heard of this around a month back and the price premium seems to be in the range of Rs. 70k or something like that. I feel that although the price premium is substantial for the CNG variant, it seems justified since it is a sequential kit and they typically cost upwards of Rs. 65k in the market. Also given that CNG fuelled engines run hotter, it's good to see the mods which GM has made and warranty provided to boot..Here's the link:

Chevrolet Aveo CNG
Old 15th May 2010, 10:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

At last, factory fitted kits started flowing IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hi Dippy,

Quite thin possibility as being FE will be higher in 1.4L then that of 1.6L, hence will be very few takers of 1.6L option.

Most Viewed