Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2010, 17:09   #31
Senior - BHPian

Ambassador will never die for Indians. Its a very unique in its own way in terms of styling. It is not like sporty or sleek design to attract youth but it has some serious muscles to show the power. It makes its presence felt everywhere it goes. Specially white one.

Few years back, my uncle was GM in PSU Bank & he was having bank provided Amby. It was really a cool car. More comfortable that today's many cars. That time i really wanted such car in my house. But dad went for Maruti 800 that time. It is difficult to drive & maintain though.

One more incident i remember was my client from US was with me & he saw the Amby. He was really impressed with the car & wanted to ride in it. I told him that its a true Indian car & he likes it a lot. He too photos of that as well I felt really proud that time.
Old 18th May 2010, 17:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
there is nothing like an ambassador-absolutely nothing which can offer you a sofa like back seat comfort.
I see it in a different way. Half of Amby's shock absorbers are in the seats

Imagine a ride in an Amby with a rigid back seat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
. I told him that its a true Indian car & he likes it a lot. He too photos of that as well I felt really proud that time.
Amby's roots are not really Indian - it is the Morris Oxford.

Last edited by clevermax : 18th May 2010 at 17:28.
Old 18th May 2010, 17:30   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

Amby's roots are not really Indian - it is the Morris Oxford.
Really? I didnt know this ... Thanks for correcting me.

So where it used to sell apart from India?
Old 18th May 2010, 17:40   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Really? I didnt know this ... Thanks for correcting me.
So where it used to sell apart from India?
The current one is actually the Morris Oxford III, used to be there in the UK from the later 50s.

Quoting wiki:
Quote:
This car was the basis for the Hindustan Ambassador, which continues to be built in India some 50 years after the Oxford III's demise.

Last edited by clevermax : 18th May 2010 at 17:43.
Old 18th May 2010, 18:24   #35
BHPian

There was no car more spacious than the good ol' Amby. I have fond memories of my grandpa's old Amby. As kids we would climb on it and spend lots of time on the roof mounted career. Ah those old bygone days.
Old 18th May 2010, 18:38   #36
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
I told him that its a true Indian car & he likes it a lot.
There are lot of people who say amby is a true Indian car. Dont know from where they got this idea. As clevermax already pointed out this based on Moris Oxford III. Did I say based, one look at a Oxford III and you will understand that it is the car itself except for some changes.
Indica, Nano etc are Indian cars. Not amby, its british.
Old 18th May 2010, 19:17   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
There are lot of people who say amby is a true Indian car. Dont know from where they got this idea. Asclevermax already pointed out this based on Moris Oxford III. Did I say based, one look at a Oxford III and you will understand that it is the car itself except for some changes.
Indica, Nano etc are Indian cars. Not amby, its british.
But since the car is in production in India even after more than 50 years of its inception in the UK, we can say that the car has become Indian now.

Similarly, the Contessa also has its roots from outside India. It is actually the Vauxhall Transcontinental Victor.
Old 18th May 2010, 21:49   #38
BHPian

Well, the Amby has been one of my favourites, thanks to all the reasons mentioneed here. Besides, being a son of a babu, I just love Ambys and Indigos with the 'lal batti'
As a matter of fact, the Amby sold twice the no. of units as the logan in the month of April.
@
Cruiser@5023 Speaking about luxury versions of the Amby, we've had the Avigo..

Seriously
@YC.BALENO.CHD:

Pardon me sir, I've read quite a few of your posts, and I sincerely like them, but talking about your previous post, I would just like to tell you that I wanted to join TBhp ever since I was 12, but could finally join only in Class9
(I don't mean to provoke in any way though.)
But with you about most of the 8th standard simpletons .
Old 18th May 2010, 22:55   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
Amby's will be produced even after the world has reduced to rubble after WW III.
They say cockroaches will survive a nuclear war too.

Mind you, the cockroach is a much nicer design!
Old 19th May 2010, 11:49   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
They say cockroaches will survive a nuclear war too.

Mind you, the cockroach is a much nicer design!
I concur. And, more efficient i might add.
Old 19th May 2010, 11:57   #41
Senior - BHPian

But seriously guys

Amby still fills a niche in the Indian car market. The design is pretty well perfect for certain needs, like the taxi/rural markets. So, why not just update the quality of components used - better rubber, better plastics, better electrics, stampings, etc etc, leave the basic design untouched and continue selling it?
Old 19th May 2010, 12:41   #42
BHPian

Ambassador - HORRIBLE CAR - Period!!

Well if you want only back seat comfort, only then ambassador.

Look at this:
1. Design: pre-1950 era - Oxford Morris, with amost ZERO change in 60 years - AWESOME...how do u explain that?
2. Safety: Hard metal = safe ?? naah...nothing is built on a collapsible frame so YOU take all the impact of every collision.
3. Durability: The chassis is prone to rusting. Very frequent breakdowns with the present engine
4. Pickup: What is that?
5. Style statement: Really? Only if it has a red or blue light on top.
6. Interiors: Apart from the sofa seat, what else is there? door locks, window controls - are all midieval age
7. Exterior: Vintage car - OK.. so drive it in a vintage rally - why on a road along with modern cars?

Hindustan Motors is EXACTLY like the left wing ruled West bengal state, where all efforts at modernity are seen as terrorism. As long as govt backing is there, our children and their children will continue to see this elephant making mess of our roads.

And now, please dont give any emotional back-fires to me, at least on teh Amby topic. Please keep ur heart aside, think and then give justifications for the Mahaan ambassador.

It was a good car, 30-40 years back, NOT ANYMORE.

Last edited by Eddy : 19th May 2010 at 16:31. Reason: Not more than 2 smilies per post allowed.
Old 19th May 2010, 13:42   #43
BHPian

how ever we look at it, if 1000 Ambassadors sell in a month, I would say they are doing pretty well with their product. It is almost a niche segment. I say let HM pull the ambassoador for as long as it can. after that HM will be history!
Old 20th May 2010, 21:18   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@all
Clearing the air about the features of amby currently on sale, here are some facts.

Avigo- top end model has NO Cup Holders ,Tachometer,CD Player,Steering Adjustment,Defogger (Rear),Remote Boot/Fuel-Lid, Front Fog Lights,Tubeless Tyres,Anti-Lock Braking System,Driver AirBags,Passenger Air-Bags,Child Safety Locks,Rear Seat Belts, NO Manually Adjustable Ext. Rear View Mirror.
A real man's car, eh?
Old 20th May 2010, 21:26   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A real man's car, eh?
that would be the base model, no power windows, no AC

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks