Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2010, 14:51   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Then I take it you haven't seen the universally hated Rodius. It looks pathetic. And so does the Actyon.Even its mother won't love that ugly,bloated front end. The Rexton is still..digestible!
Yes I have seen the Rodius and also have ridden in one during my stay in KL for 2 years. They are a common mode of taxi for medium sized groups to and from the KLIA. Also, I must add that it is very comfortable. Anyway, that why I said only the Rexton and the Actyon are better looking. IMHO Actyon Sports looks different and unique and quite good at that. I would love to own it. I used to admire it everyday while driving past the showroom on my way to office.
Old 18th May 2010, 12:14   #17
BHPian

Unique. The Rodius' rear end looks like an after thought. Maybe they made a X6 like SUV and then added the rear bit to generate more space!
Old 18th May 2010, 12:38   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
Unique. The Rodius' rear end looks like an after thought. Maybe they made a X6 like SUV and then added the rear bit to generate more space!
Erm.. please read carefully. I was talking about the Actyon and Rexton not Rodius the ugly duckling!
Old 18th May 2010, 13:20   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm trying to figure out what USP Mahindra saw in Ssangyong - apart from that it is cheap to buy. But then again there's a reason for that.
Old 18th May 2010, 13:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I'm trying to figure out what USP Mahindra saw in Ssangyong - apart from that it is cheap to buy. But then again there's a reason for that.
The only USP I see is that they will be able to get access to the Korean market which is a very difficult market to crack simply because of their philosophy of buying everything Korean.
Old 18th May 2010, 13:49   #21
BHPian

IMHO, this buy will benefit M&M over picking up a brand like Hummer.

Isnt it history that M&M pickuped up obsolete trannys from SSangYong mated it to their tractor engines to give us their first JEEP?
Old 18th May 2010, 14:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
The only USP I see is that they will be able to get access to the Korean market which is a very difficult market to crack simply because of their philosophy of buying everything Korean.
Now Korean markets are invaded by many outsiders like Audi, Porsche, VW etc. You can find many outsider mostly European in Korea. GM also invaded with the name of Daewoo and selling their cars with Daewoo badge. But still major share goes to Korean companies like Hyundai, KIA, Daewoo, SsangYong & SM (Samsung-Renault).

Mahindra must have looked into its official partner in India Renault's cars in Korea. SM Series (SM3, SM5, SM7) are quite a big hit in Korea.

Also Korean car companies have very complex shareholding of each others. You do not know who owns who actually.
Old 18th May 2010, 14:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Now Korean markets are invaded by many outsiders like Audi, Porsche, VW etc. You can find many outsider mostly European in Korea. GM also invaded with the name of Daewoo and selling their cars with Daewoo badge. But still major share goes to Korean companies like Hyundai, KIA, Daewoo, SsangYong & SM (Samsung-Renault).

I see this aquisition from another angle , They will repeat the MM540 / MM550 Story in India and Africa kind of markets.

That is bring the dies and tools of Ssangyong SUV and 4 wheel drives and launch UV and SUV in developing market.

Earlier they followed the same business model using Jeep.
Old 18th May 2010, 16:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

There are plenty of benefits with M&M taking over SangYong. Primarily there synergies fit since they are both primarily UV makers. Also
  • It will give M&M ready access to Sangyong powerplants/transmissions, which they are already buying of them for applications in the AXE millitary concept and from the details available regarding the upcoming SUV, I think its the same 5 cyl diesel engine in it as well.
  • The biggest advantage will be ready access to Sangyongs global Sales/Service network which will otherwise take them years to build on their own. Especially in Europe where after their last ill fated attempt M&M had to pull out with a couple of law suits pending.
  • Readymade models from SY saving M&M both time and money.
  • It should be cheap!!!
But the take over is not so simple.

Chinese SAIC is a majority stake holder in SY and the Chinese Govt. have quite an influence over SAIC, I think they will have a word or two to say about Indians taking over from Chinkies. SAIC have let SY run into the doldrums through poor management and lack of proper investments (Watchout GM India!!!) There is presently a leagal tangle going on with the Korean Govt especially regarding SAIC stealing SY tecnology.
Old 12th August 2010, 08:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Ssangyong picks Mahindra as preferred bidder (Reuters)

SEOUL: India's Mahindra has been picked as the preferred bidder to buy South Korea's Ssangyong Motor in a deal estimated at up to $500 million, Ssangyong said on Thursday.

Ssangyong set the deadline for a binding offer for the company on Tuesday and three groups including Mahindra and India's Ruia Group submitted their proposals to buy the cash-strapped auto company, according to media reports.
Old 12th August 2010, 08:42   #26
Senior - BHPian

Going by the looks of these concepts, they were going in the right direction. The future looks bright!!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra to bid for Ssangyong. EDIT : Signs MOU Pg. 4-ssangyongc200aerocar.jpg  

Mahindra to bid for Ssangyong. EDIT : Signs MOU Pg. 4-ssangyong_c200_eco_concept_024c0ef5215cfce.jpg  

Mahindra to bid for Ssangyong. EDIT : Signs MOU Pg. 4-ssangyong_2007wzsportssedanconcept001_1.jpg  

Old 12th August 2010, 09:05   #27
BHPian

Update from morning news is that M&M has become the preferred bidder for the company
Old 12th August 2010, 09:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

the 2nd suv concept looks like Mahindra world SUV to me
Old 12th August 2010, 10:33   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Going by the looks of these concepts, they were going in the right direction. The future looks bright!!
When I got the news early June that Mahindra is bidding for Ssangyong (SS), I went through the SS website and bought some MM shares.

A few reasons for that:
  • SS primarily makes UVs and only one car. So it seemed like a good fit.
  • While SS's designs are not that great, I personally feel it it miles ahead of the ghastly MM designs. (Funnily some SS designs look like they are trying to copy Mercedes.)
  • The gravy would be if they get a foothold in the Korean market. Even though it is cut-throat, I feel it makes more sense for MM to get a foothold in Korea than the US(!).
All in all, I feel MM makes good engines but bad designs, SS makes "good" designs but not engines and both are in the UV market. Perfect fit?
Old 12th August 2010, 11:45   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
(Funnily some SS designs look like they are trying to copy Mercedes.)

They had a tie up with Mercedes and also used/use some of their engines.

The exteriors might look wierd but I just love the interiors on their models. Definitely a big step up for Mahindra, they will be getting multiple Tata Aria level cars off the shelf if they acquire Ssangyong, though the in-house expertise that Tata got while developing the Aria will be very useful.

Last edited by chncar : 12th August 2010 at 11:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks