Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2011, 13:30   #31
BHPian

re: 2012 Hyundai Elantra / Avante. EDIT: Spotted in India, Pics on Pg.3&5

I own the old elantra. Its a lovely car. At that time it came with all the features anyone could want - great leg room in the backm, climate control, abs, airbags, traction control with on off switch, and a lovely 2 litre diesel engine. I have no idea why it didnt click. I am eagerly waiting the new elantra. It looks great. (hyundai has finally stopped copying other car makers) and hyundai makes the BEST diesel engines of all time. I have never had any issues with any of the hyundais i own (santro cng, accent cng and elantra) I only hope that Hyundai gets the pricing right on this car. that would make all the difference. If they can undercut the cruze - this car will SELL
Old 19th April 2011, 13:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai didnt launch the last Elantra in India and missed a generation. I wonder if they are confident enough to take on the likes of the Civic, Jetta, Cruze, Corolla etc. With the Verna, they will definitely create a stir in the C segment and with a nice Diesel Mill and that stunning exterior, they can do similar things in the entry level D segment.
Old 19th April 2011, 14:03   #33
BHPian

Many people might be knowing, but for others, the Elantra is planne to be launched as Avante in India. There are many sites talking about it and the one link below claims the launch will happen in June 2011

2011 Hyundai Avante soon to get launched in India | Auto Specifications - Latest Automobile News, Reviews, Wallpapers and Pictures

Does anyone here know the genuineness of this information. Will post links for other sites as well that make similar claims
Old 19th April 2011, 14:04   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
The new Sonata, the Elantra and the new Verna share some similar design cues. I am surprised why some of you guys here say it resembles the Civic.

But anyway, the interiors is one of the best in the segment and Hyundai started in India with simple cars, but is now going the other way by bringing better cars to India and launching some exciting models as well. I hope the new Tiburon would also make it some day
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPK View Post
Hey, one can see the transformation from RBi (verna), elantra and sonata.

Or perhaps, hyundai designed Sonata and Verna first, then derived Elantra by mixing some thing here and there.
I think the resemblance between Verna / Sonata & Elantra is mostly because of the theme they have adapted which is "Fluidic". And I believe the resemblance to Honda Civic is because of the yet to be launched Civic [2011]. The grill is almost the same.
Old 11th May 2011, 10:21   #35
BHPian

No news or update on likely launch date so far. Eagerly waiting for scoopsters to break some news, please. If Avante is anywhere within a year timeframe, then it would make sense to wait else, new Verna is what we will have to be satisfied with.
Old 11th May 2011, 12:20   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
No news or update on likely launch date so far. Eagerly waiting for scoopsters to break some news, please. If Avante is anywhere within a year timeframe, then it would make sense to wait else, new Verna is what we will have to be satisfied with.
No one has reported any test mules of the Avante till now. Ford has already begun testing its Focus sedan. Hyundai is pre occupied with the H800 and new Sonata testing I suppose.
Old 28th August 2011, 18:59   #37
BHPian

I think Hyundai should consider launching the Elantra asap. The Verna has been a phenomenal success and commands a pretty long waiting period. The Elantra might just entice some of the prospective Verna buyers and given its looks and hyundai's core strengths (pricing, dealer network and ***) it could very well spoil the new Jetta's party.
Old 28th August 2011, 22:51   #38
Team-BHP Support

Just chanced upon this video in youtube when browsing about this version of the Elantra

The parking assistance voice is in Korean and we can't understand anything, but looks good to see the auto parallel parking assist at work. The first part shows it at night time and the second part is shot in the daytime (clearer view). This will be a segment first in that c+ segment, if this model makes it to indian shores.
Old 29th August 2011, 00:37   #39
BHPian

Had a talk with hyundai Dealer and he confirmed that elantra is not in the pipeline for anytime near launch.SAD.
Old 29th August 2011, 01:12   #40
Team-BHP Support

Hyundai would have a really hard time pricing the new Elantra here in India. With the top-end Verna's prices touching 12-13 lakhs on the road, and the Sonata Transform at around 15 lakhs (ex-showroom), the Elantra would be left looking for a segment to occupy.

Hyundai needs to discontinue the Sonata and bring in the Elantra and price it in the Civic/Cruze territory.
Old 11th November 2011, 15:23   #41
Senior - BHPian

SPY SHOT: 2012 Hyundai Elantra (avante) scooped near Delhi

Pic courtesy Indian Autos Blog.

First shot of all new 2012 fluidic sculpture hyundai elantra (avante) caught in the outskirts of delhi.

EXCLUSIVE info: India will be the first market to get the diesel elantra. 1.6 U II engine from verna, tuned for 140 ps instead of 128 in the verna. Petrol will be the global "Nu" engine with 140 hp.Its a normal gasoline engine, not GDI.

Source
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Hyundai Elantra / Avante. EDIT: Spotted in India, Pics on Pg.3&5-hyundaiavanteindia.jpg  

2012 Hyundai Elantra / Avante. EDIT: Spotted in India, Pics on Pg.3&5-hyundaielantra_2011_1024x768_wallpaper_0f.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 12th November 2011 at 04:02.
sidindica is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th November 2011, 16:54   #42
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: SPY SHOT: 2012 Hyundai Elantra (avante) scooped near Delhi

Nice one Sid.

The New Elantra really really looks nice and will have all that the new verna has and more, but over time prices have moved nortward so the new Elantra would end up coming close to old Sonata prices as the Verna has already moved into the Elantra price point.

The Old Elantra did not work for India as it had among other things a non descript look - expecially rear which was quite close to the accent then. It failed. Now with that background. Elantra may not be the right name for India else we may see a good vehicle fail for no real reason.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2011, 16:58   #43
Senior - BHPian

Excellent catch Sid! Was waiting for this since the time it was launched in US. Personally, I loved its design more than the fluidic Verna as it has a better face and sleeker body lines. But again, to each his own!

The pricing would determine its fate. But if launched at >13L, the i45 will be launched at around 19L!
Old 11th November 2011, 17:11   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

+1 to the pricing point

The name makes no difference ; the price and looks definitely do
Old 11th November 2011, 17:12   #45
BHPian

Now that's a pretty sedan.

While I think the existing 'Fluidic' Verna is a huge aesthetic improvement over it's predecessor, it's a story of two halves. The styling theme and design seems to be a little inconsistent through the car.
Judging from this picture, the Elantra doesn't seem to have that problem.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks