Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2011, 17:38   #46
BHPian

Re: SPY SHOT: 2012 Hyundai Elantra (avante) scooped near Delhi

This car can be as big a problem to the likes of cruze , civic etc as the new verna is to ANHC , fiesta etc .

They have everything in the new elantra . It has flamboyance , it has an amazing diesel engine and above all it has character which the older elantra lacked . Now all that is left is the pricing . If they are able to price it between the verna and the current sonata then it should be a sucess for hyundai .

Last edited by Enigmatic : 11th November 2011 at 17:42.
Old 11th November 2011, 18:12   #47
Senior - BHPian

I was looking forward to the next gen Hyundais especially the Avante/Elantra till i read the Verna reviews ! If this car is anything like the Verna in terms of handling, its not going to hurt the VW Jetta and the Skoda Laura. The Cars this car will hurt will be the Corolla and Cruze because it will be feature packed and Hyundai Diesels are the very best in the lower end category of cars.

The Car overall is stylish, although overstyled.
Old 11th November 2011, 18:47   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
This car can be as big a problem to the likes of cruze.
To beat the Cruze they would have to put in an engine that has the torque spread of the Cruze or even better it. By the time the new Elantra hits our shores the Cruze will be having the 163bhp engine with a flatter and higher torque curve from the FIAT stable.

The only competition for the Cruze will come in the form of the diesel 2.2 liter Civic with mind boggling torque and acceleration figures. A sub 8 second dash to 100kmph is a given and in gear acceleration will be stupendous. Only fly in the ointment will probably be the horrendous pricing.
Old 11th November 2011, 18:54   #49
Senior - BHPian

re: 2012 Hyundai Elantra / Avante. EDIT: Spotted in India, Pics on Pg.3&5

Hyundai usually tests its cars in the southern part of india with TN registration plates. I'm not able to make it up from the spy picture, but does it have TN plates?

While I'm not a big fan of fluidic design on the existing hyundai cars, this car looks beautiful, fluidic or not. This can compete well against the corolla but cruze is for a different set of buyers altogether and that's not hyundai's USP.
Old 11th November 2011, 19:01   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
This car can be as big a problem to the likes of cruze , civic etc as the new verna is to ANHC , fiesta etc .

They have everything in the new elantra . It has flamboyance , it has an amazing diesel engine and above all it has character which the older elantra lacked . Now all that is left is the pricing . If they are able to price it between the verna and the current sonata then it should be a sucess for hyundai .

I happend to see this beauty along side the 2012 Civic, Focus and current gen Corolla in the US. It looks absolutely stunning. A big for Hyundai getting the proportions right, both inside and out. It had an interesting ad campaign running in the last NFL season too, talking compact does not always mean small and cramped.

It would be intersting how Hyundai would price this, coz one has to remember although the new sonata looks good and competes with the accord overseas, anything above 16L for i45 would be regarded pricey here in my opinion.
Old 11th November 2011, 19:27   #51
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the scoop and info, Sid!

Like Hyundai's other 'Fluidic' designs, the new Elantra/Avante is a treat to the eyes, with its smooth-flowing lines, creases, curves and proportionate stance.

This car has the potential to replicate the success of the Fluidic Verna for Hyundai in its segment. It may even prove to be Hyundai's first major hit in the 10lakh+ segments, but only if they get the price right!

I'm not sure about the choice of engines though. The state of tune of the diesel (140PS from a 1.6) could affect driveability in the city if there is massive turbo-lag. The petrol should be fine, though the 1.6 Gamma GDI would have made more sense.
Old 11th November 2011, 19:42   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Hyundai usually tests its cars in the southern part of india with TN registration plates. I'm not able to make it up from the spy picture, but does it have TN plates?
It seems to have DL plates.
Old 11th November 2011, 19:49   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

That's an awesome looking car. But what is all that power if this is another "boat" ? Hope they tweak the suspension well and make it a fun-to-drive car. Again this is a gamble for Hyundai in the segment which it's aiming. There are good global players / models who are much better in snob value. Will be an interesting game to watch how many people will really look at a Hyundai at that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
To beat the Cruze they would have to put in an engine that has the torque spread of the Cruze or even better it. By the time the new Elantra hits our shores the Cruze will be having the 163bhp engine with a flatter and higher torque curve from the FIAT stable.

The only competition for the Cruze will come in the form of the diesel 2.2 liter Civic with mind boggling torque and acceleration figures. A sub 8 second dash to 100kmph is a given and in gear acceleration will be stupendous. Only fly in the ointment will probably be the horrendous pricing.
Just curious how did you get the information on Cruze 163 bhp engine from FIAT & Honda Civic diesel engine's 8 sec dash to 100 !! Never read anything about these 2 points, so if you could help with some links / sources, would be great.
Old 11th November 2011, 20:23   #54
BHPian

I somehow feel that all those curves look proportionate only on the i45/Sonata. The Verna and even the Elantra seem a bit overdone for the car of its size.

The front end of the Sonata looks brilliant and in sync with the curves on the side profile. Thank god that they din't have the hexagon on it. On the Verna and the Elantra, that hexagonal front end seems to be the weakest link
Old 11th November 2011, 20:24   #55
BHPian

Quote:

I completely agree with you and yes the cruze is and ,as hyundai has now become more of a fluidic " boat " manufacturer rather than automobiles , it always will be better than the elantra to drive and handel . But the basic question is that how many percent of the indian population actually go for a car that handels and rides perfectly and has a bit more horse power than the others seeing nothing else ?
If this was the case then nothing from the hyundai stable should have set the charts on fire ! Take the i10 or take the new verna they both have competetion in their segment which either has more power or handels better but still they appeal more to the "aam janta " and hence they are success stories for hyundai .
Old 11th November 2011, 22:11   #56
Senior - BHPian

That's confusing. Why would hyundai test its cars with DL plates? Never happened before...

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic

It seems to have DL plates.
Old 11th November 2011, 23:24   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
I somehow feel that all those curves look proportionate only on the i45/Sonata. The Verna and even the Elantra seem a bit overdone for the car of its size.

The front end of the Sonata looks brilliant and in sync with the curves on the side profile. Thank god that they din't have the hexagon on it. On the Verna and the Elantra, that hexagonal front end seems to be the weakest link
I initially had the same thought that the fluidic designs would not look good on anything other than Sonata... but one look at the Elantra and you feel like verna and sonata are overdone... this just looks superb in all angles...
chpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2011, 00:16   #58
Senior - BHPian

DL number plates on a Hyundai test car!!
Shouldn't it be TN21 (TC)
Quote:

Under practical situation Magnum (120bhp) accelerates faster than Cruze.
After 120 kph, Cruze rules and cruzes ahead.
Old 12th November 2011, 01:35   #59
LDJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Pic courtesy Indian Autos Blog.

First shot of all new 2012 fluidic sculpture hyundai elantra (avante) caught in the outskirts of delhi.

EXCLUSIVE info: India will be the first market to get the diesel elantra. 1.6 U II engine from verna, tuned for 140 ps instead of 128 in the verna. Petrol will be the global "Nu" engine with 140 hp.Its a normal gasoline engine, not GDI.
I somehow feel the rear wheel arch remind me of the OH OH ! Does anyone else feel its a bit too much when compared to the front?
Old 12th November 2011, 04:01   #60
Senior - BHPian

This looks like the current Gen Elantra in US which is a good looking car. You can look at all interior & exterior picture on Hyundai US site.

Hyundai Elantra
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks