Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2011, 13:51   #76
BHPian

Re: 2012 Hyundai Elantra / Avante. EDIT: Spotted in India, Pics on Pg.3&5

Wow!! That is one beautifull car.
I am actually becoming a Hyundai fan looking at their car's looks.

In these times, when there are so many cars around, they have managed to stay unique without copying anyone and beautifull. If this comes to India with a good heart it would give VW and Skoda some major sleepless nights
Old 16th November 2011, 21:17   #77
Senior - BHPian

Wow, the sport kit makes it look simply mind blowing. The car is just fabulous from the outside and great from the inside. Hyundai's jinx of the 10+ sedan segment could very well be broken with the new Elantra/Avante. Seriously, Hyundai is seeming very much serious, considering the lacklusture products from the Japanese in that segment. New Civic is going to meet some fierce competition now. And yes the Cruze, my current fav in the segment should start taking notice as well.
Old 17th November 2011, 14:00   #78
BHPian

Looks interesting a lot design cues from the civic (?). No a/c vents at the rear or am i not looking closely enough?
Old 17th November 2011, 22:55   #79
Senior - BHPian

Wow! This is how the next generation Honda Civic should have looked like!

A blind copy of the Civic mixed with the fluidic concept of Hyundai!
Old 18th November 2011, 14:21   #80
BHPian

I was in the US for a couple of months this year and I tried to go to the showroom a couple of times.

It may sound hard to believe but the Petrol Elantra was selling out with no cars for the showroom to show us.

40 mpg was too good for the Americans to resist with fuel prices rising, not to forget that hyundai had 4 year / 100,000 mile warranty as standard I think.

It is a great car in that segment ..read about Hyundai's success in the WSJ, particularly the Elantra

Once a Global Also-Ran, Hyundai Zooms Forward - WSJ.com
Old 18th November 2011, 16:07   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Wow, the sport kit makes it look simply mind blowing. The car is just fabulous from the outside and great from the inside. Hyundai's jinx of the 10+ sedan segment could very well be broken with the new Elantra/Avante.
. The Elantra has all the essentials covered to become a huge success. But, as with all Hyundais, the handling might prove to be a deal-breaker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azifali View Post
It may sound hard to believe but the Petrol Elantra was selling out with no cars for the showroom to show us.
It is a great car in that segment ..read about Hyundai's success in the WSJ, particularly the Elantra
I would say that the Elantra has met with a well-deserved success in all the international markets that it has been launched. The Elantra, along with the Cruze are giving the Corolla, Civic and Focus a run for their money in USA. With the Cruze already becoming a big success in India, I think Hyundai can very well replicate that and make the Elantra a big success story in India. Remember, before Cruze, most other GM products above 10 Lacs (Forester, Vectra (old and new), etc.) failed miserably and GM had a pretty bad brand image too, just like Hyundai currently.
Old 18th November 2011, 16:43   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
a pretty bad brand image too, just like Hyundai currently.
not sure of that. I think as a brand Hyundai is quite respectable in India. Certainly more than the likes of GM, Ford, Fiat etc. Hyundai is now associated with same reliability as Toyotas (but just higher maintenance costs)
Old 18th November 2011, 16:53   #83
BHPian

Re: SPY SHOT: 2012 Hyundai Elantra (avante) scooped near Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
That's an awesome looking car. But what is all that power if this is another "boat" ? Hope they tweak the suspension well and make it a fun-to-drive car. Again this is a gamble for Hyundai in the segment which it's aiming. There are good global players / models who are much better in snob value. Will be an interesting game to watch how many people will really look at a Hyundai at that price.

Just curious how did you get the information on Cruze 163 bhp engine from FIAT & Honda Civic diesel engine's 8 sec dash to 100 !! Never read anything about these 2 points, so if you could help with some links / sources, would be great.
I dont know why people are so much against the handling of Hyundai's. I have owned an accent in the past and its ride quality is still not beaten by my Optra that i own. Where the car scores is ride comfort in the city and still has acceptable handling i can say. This is india where the average speed is less than 40kmph, where have you got the roads to show handling. I have driven fords i accept they are too good in terms of handling, but i can also say there ride quality is poorer too on indian roads. So a manifactuer will definetly look at the bigger picture rather than satisfying couple of thousand team-bhpians, look now, is ford able to sell its fiesta although it has good handling. i will not blame on the cars, but 140 + speeds sounds shocking in indian roads even if the car is a Merc SLK. We hit those amount of speeds with greater risk on indian roads, i have hit 170 kmph on my Optra, and while doing so i always had a fear that i am going too fast not knowing if i meet a pothole in few meters or a bump.
Old 18th November 2011, 16:58   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
not sure of that. I think as a brand Hyundai is quite respectable in India. Certainly more than the likes of GM, Ford, Fiat etc. Hyundai is now associated with same reliability as Toyotas (but just higher maintenance costs)
Brand 'Hyundai' definitely commands respect and trust in India. But sadly, that is applicable only in cars priced less than 10 Lacs or whereabouts.

Apart from their 1st gen Sonata that was launched in 2001, none of the other models (the successive generations of Sonata, Elantra, Terracan and Tucson) in the premium segments succeeded and one of the major reason was Hyundai's lack of brand image that customers in those segments expected. Statements like "I would never pay so much money for a Hyundai when I can get a Toyota, Honda or Skoda for that price" was so common not so long back. That is what I tried to mean.
Old 18th November 2011, 17:38   #85
BHPian

Re: SPY SHOT: 2012 Hyundai Elantra (avante) scooped near Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post
I dont know why people are so much against the handling of Hyundai's. i will not blame on the cars, but 140 + speeds sounds shocking in indian roads even if the car is a Merc SLK. We hit those amount of speeds with greater risk on indian roads, i have hit 170 kmph on my Optra, and while doing so i always had a fear that i am going too fast not knowing if i meet a pothole in few meters or a bump.
This is slightly off-topic but I just wanted to point out one issue here. Your argument is absolutely valid. We don't have the roads where we can take our cars regularly past 120-140 kph, true. But out of sheer experience I can vouch that a good handling car is also more comfortable for the passengers. Try sitting in the back seat of a car like Verna on twisties!
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 18:27   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

What is a realistic price point for this car? I am more interested in the diesel variant. I hope Hyundai does not end up pricing it too high in order to differentiate it from the Verna. This is the problem I feel when you launch a car ( like verna) in so many variants and trim levels spanning 3 segments. I really hope they do not price it in Jetta's territory.
Old 18th November 2011, 18:55   #87
BHPian

Cut back to a couple of years & we had Chevrolet struggling to sell cars, even as good as the Optra. That was due to the sheer amount of competition and a perceived lack of brand value by the customers. Then they came up with the Cruze, amazingly priced, which does comparable numbers against the Altis & Civic, even bettering them at times.
So, it's not too far fetched to think the Avante can't pull it off. It's definitely got Hyundai's reliability & A.S.S going for it. The Sonata Embera was a great car, extremely well put together, but lost out on looks & price. Hyundai should definitely start there. Avante's definitely got the looks & if what we've seen with the new Verna pricing continues, Fluidic should reign supreme again. Looking forward to seeing this beauty on the roads.
I'm not a big fan of the central console, looks a little thick & garish to me. But, I hope they release the Navigation from the get-go & not wait till sales pick up to introduce a variant with the sat-nav

Lest I forget..
Dear awesome people at hyundai,
please give us a hydraulic steering this time that's as nimble in the city as your electronic units, but doesn't have a devious mind of its own over bumps and potholes
Old 18th November 2011, 19:08   #88
Senior - BHPian

All the people that are worried about the handling and talk about it being Hyundai's weak point should take a drive in the old Elantra.

No current car in the segment comes even close to it. Handling, stability, braking or ride.

If that was a mistake by someone in Hyundai, I hope they repeat it.
Old 18th November 2011, 19:30   #89
BHPian

I hope they provide the car with projector headlamps like in the Korean version!
If Mahindra could do it with the XUV, I hope other manufacturers with vehicles in this price range take the cue and start too!
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Hyundai Elantra / Avante. EDIT: Spotted in India, Pics on Pg.3&5-02_1280x10244.jpg  

ChrisFrancis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2011, 09:55   #90
Senior - BHPian

The Cruze's main weapon is the 150 PS rocket diesel under its hood. As if it were not enough, GM is already planing to give the Cruze a face lift and also bump up the power to 165 PS (read in some automotive website, but forgot the source, sorry ) And also looks and VFM are its strengths.

Now Hyundai has alraedy taken care of the looks, evident from the pictures. The Elantra could very well make the next gen Civic and the Corolla Altis look passe! Hyundai diesels are known for their powerful punch they pack too. So if Hyundai maintains its VFM a bit, then Cruze will have to fight the Elantra real hard to maintain its market share. Time for customers to rejoice now!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed